Kinked brake line - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Apr 4th, 09, 9:02 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Default Kinked brake line

I was going to change the rear flex line at the diff and started to turn the nut on the hard line, but noticed that the line turned with it. I immediately turned it back and it straightened out somewhat but is still a little flatened. I sprayed with PB Blaster before I wrenched, but still happened. How much narrowing of the line as a result of kinking can it take before it starts impeding brake operation? If fluid comes out during bleeding of the rear brakes, is that good enough? Am I destined to put a new hard line on? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 4th, 09, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Default Re: Kinked brake line

Probably should just go ahead and order a new line for it.
If you get a stainless steel line, you may have trouble getting to seal (I had a hell of a time getting all my leaky connections to stop leaking on the 59-----went with the standard steel line on the 66---that car not done yet)
I don't think it will be much of a problem getting a new line in. I cannot remember which line gave me fits on the 66--fuel or brake---and the body was off the frame!!!

I think it was the fuel line----the brake line did not have to go thru any holes in the frame.

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done On the street now!!!
65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
Old Apr 4th, 09, 10:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I had a couple of hard lines turn with the nuts. Penetrating oil didn't touch them. I used an acetylene torch with a pin point tip to heat the nuts. The flame was concentrated on the nut. Just a few seconds of heat and the nuts were free from twisting the tubing.

Dan's 70 Chevelle
Spencer's 72 Chevelle
Old Apr 4th, 09, 11:17 PM
Tech Team
brian

working with the brakes why take the chance of an accident if you ride with family a few bucks is well worth the peace of mind knowing its good (brian)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Kinked brake line
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.