Lucas gear oil and posi additive?? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Apr 2nd, 09, 9:16 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Default Lucas gear oil and posi additive??

Just got back from the auto store. Bought 2 bottles of Lucas Gear Oil 80-90 for my rear differential 70 Chevelle SS with 3:31 posi). It says on the bottle that the the posi additive is not necessary. Looking for thoughts on this. The guy behind the counter at Advance said it won't hurt anything to add it. I want to add it anyway. Just wanted to hear from people who may have run into this situation before. Thanks in advance. Tom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 2nd, 09, 10:27 PM
Gold Founding Member

Default Re: Lucas gear oil and posi additive??

I used the Kendall 80-90 Gear Oil with the Posi Additive. I still went to the dealership and purchased the Posi Additive. It will not hurt anything.
ACES Member #1890
Team Chevelle Gold #288

1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396 Unrestored 76,000 Mile Survivor
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 - SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds w/ Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99
1985 442 White / Grey w/ Factory Sunroof - SOLD
Old Apr 2nd, 09, 10:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

Send a message via AIM to BowtieAaron

i just dumped 1.75 pints into the 7.5 in my dd ta.
posi still works, but ive only got about 300 miles on since then. it said it meets the gm number.

aaron
368rwhp 383rwtq n/a with carb
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
http://youtu.be/PvZ7tDVyryw
Old Apr 5th, 09, 9:14 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Can you even find a name brand gear oil without the additive in it? I just don't want "too much" additive in the rear end if there is such a thing. I would like to use the GM additive since I already have it, and I am willing to get different gear oil if there is even a small concern. Thanks again. Tom.
Old Apr 5th, 09, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Wink Re: Lucas gear oil and posi additive??

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrchvllss View Post
Can you even find a name brand gear oil without the additive in it? I just don't want "too much" additive in the rear end if there is such a thing. I would like to use the GM additive since I already have it, and I am willing to get different gear oil if there is even a small concern. Thanks again. Tom.
You can find gear lube "without the additive". It is API GL-4. More likely to find it in a hardware or farm supply store. Supposedly the "additive" makes it more likely that the oil will attack copper/zinc alloys brass bronze etc. like maybe synchromesh components in a transmission. I wouldn't for instance use GL-5 in my roto-tiller because it has a bronze gear in the transmission.

In any case, some good quality API GL-5 gear lube will be fine for limited slip differentials including "Positraction". See here for some words and specs and applications.

If it was me, I'd take the Lucas and additives back, and check some Pennzoil or Quaker State or other brand name GL-5 spec and see if it covers limited-slip. If it does I'd run it, and use some additive only if I had any grabbing or chattering like I did with my '65 after 90,000 miles. I replaced the stock fill with Sta-Lube GL-5 90 wt., and its been OK since, w/o any additives.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by JJ'65; Apr 5th, 09 at 8:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: Lucas gear oil and posi additive??
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.