SBC Timing? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Mar 24th, 09, 11:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kyle

Default SBC Timing?

What should the all in timing be on a SB350 and at what RPM? Is it Cam and Combo Dependent?

I have the following combo:
350ci SBC
MSD HEI Stock Style Distributor
Stock 1.94 heads
Eddybrick Performer Intake
1 5/8" full length Dynomax headers
Holley 670cfm Street avenger carb (properly tuned)
Unknown mild street cam
stock 2-bolt bottom end

Well built TH350 w/2600-2800 stall converter
12 bolt rear w/3:73 and locker

Yada, Yada, Yada

I know some of the specs are moot for setting the timing, but I layed it all out on the table just in case it helps.

I have set the initial timing @8 degrees BTDC (vacuum disconnected) as a start. After setting this I checked the timing and it is all in @24 degrees BTDC by 2400 RPM.

Am I way off or is this close to where I should be. I have a weight and spring kit to change the curve of the Distributor and the vacuum canister on the distributor can be adjusted to change the vac advance.

I thought I should be closer to 34-36 degrees all in? Where should I be with this Mini Mouser?

Thanks for any help.

[OO] Malibu [OO]
70 Chevelle - Malibu
TC #4464
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 24th, 09, 11:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kyle

Default Re: SBC Timing?

Oh and my vacuum canister is being hooked up to the ported vacuum of the carb and my total intake vacuum @ idle is ~17" hg.

[OO] Malibu [OO]
70 Chevelle - Malibu
TC #4464
Old Mar 24th, 09, 11:57 PM
Senior Tech Team

How high did your rev it while checking total? All of out-of the-box MSD's I've timed didn't reach total until nearer to 4k. If you're getting 17hg, unless you're running a very high idle speed, it also means that your cam is stock or near stock specs. 36 total is a good place to start. Set it there and then check initial. If your want total in sooner or want more or less initial, refer to the MSD instruction manual's chart.
Old Mar 25th, 09, 12:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kyle

I went to around 4k RPM and there was no change between 2.4k and 4k RPM. According the little yellow tag I found that was originally attached to the Distributor it comes factory with heavy springs to limit the mechanical advance until later in the RPM range, something about limiting detonation on heavily modified engines getting too much advance too fast. Which agrees with what you describe above. But if that were the case why would I get no change above 2.4k rpm's?

As for the cam, it could be stock. I was told by the previous owner that the cam was mild street, but he had his head so far up his a$$ he didn't know if the sun was yellow or blue. Needless to say... I dunno what it is!

[OO] Malibu [OO]
70 Chevelle - Malibu
TC #4464
Old Mar 25th, 09, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

It might be that the springs are too heavy and won't let it advance further until it reaches a higher rpm than you went to. If that is the problem, swapping in the lighter springs should solve it. I haven't set up their HEI but all the others seem to come with a 21 bushing installed. If that's what yours has, 8 initial would result in only 29 total. Typically, I start with 16 initial for 37 total and change springs to get it all in by about 2800. On real light cars with low gears I can bring it in a lot sooner than that without problem. If you need more initial you need to reduce mechanical.
Old Mar 25th, 09, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kyle

Thanks Jerry. I'll see what I have in the distributor now for springs and bushings. I'll try taking it to 4500 to see if it advances further and post back.

[OO] Malibu [OO]
70 Chevelle - Malibu
TC #4464
Old Mar 25th, 09, 11:26 AM
Tech Team
George

With your combo: 10-12 degees initial, 24-26 degrees centrifugal and 36 degrees total.
'alll in' by 2400rpm is too low for your combo, 3500rpm+ 'all in' is better suited to your combo.
If the HEI is a CCC unit don't forget to disconnect the 'control' wire and discnnect vacuum advance when checking timing