Team Chevelle banner

1969 Chevelle SS 396 Deluxe Post Sedan

107K views 314 replies 45 participants last post by  69 Post Sedan 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had a couple of requests to show some pictures of the car I bought at the end of January.

It is a '69 SS 396 Deluxe Post Sedan with the controversial “L” on the trim tag. It has 40k miles on it. It is Lemans Blue with Medium Blue Ransom Cloth interior. This was a Chicago car that was raced at Union Grove and probably on the street. None of the drivetrain is original. The motor is a CE 402 block. It started out as a bench seat 4-speed car but one of the previous owners swapped it for a T-400 with a stall. My plan is to put a Muncie back in it when the funds are there. The rear is a 12 bolt 3:73 Posi out of a '72 Chevelle.

It appears to have one repaint with pin stripes back in the 80's. I am repairing the dog legs on the front fenders and the lower part of the windshield on the top of the cowl. The windshield was leaking and as a result there was some rust. I am just painting the lower part of the car but leaving the rest of it alone. I really like the way it looks and have no plans in the near future of painting the whole car.

If anyone recognizes the car I would like to hear about it. I am really trying hard to get any history on it. From what I understand, one of the previous owners hung out with Danny Mamson, who had some hot cars back in the day (Yenko's). I have a few names of previous owners so please feel free to contact me if needed.

Enjoy, Kurt :beers:

This is when I first brought it home.

Windshield Before

Windshield After

Rear window

See less See more
#2 ·
The floors are very solid

Right Front Fender Before

After

Left Front Fender is being worked currently being worked on.

New Shoes

#4 ·
I like the rims ! What size rims and tires did you go with ? Keep posting pics on the work ya do. The bottoms of my front fenders need done also.

#6 ·
The rims are Ansen's. The fronts are 14X6 with F70. The rear 14X7 with L60.

The dog legs weren't too bad. I had the rust cut out and put new metal in. A good friend of mine (Mike Ames) is doing the body work. I'm very happy with the right side so far. The paint matched pretty close.

#5 ·
Here is a picture of the clutch/brake pedals. If you look closely there is a white zip tie holding the clutch pedal out of the way.

#7 ·
It's a very cool car Kurt. :cool:It's looking better since you've done some fixes.
Bring it to Chevellabration :yes: , I'm taking my silver Post Sedan.

#8 ·
Thanks Rick I'm glad you like it. :thumbsup:

My wifes B-Day is June 5th...she already said she does not want to go to a car show that weekend. :( :sad:

Isn't there a show getting set up in Chicago? The one on the Yenko site by bashton (Bob Ashton)?

Otherwise I will have it at Beloit Autorama Sept. 20th. http://www.beloitautorama.com/

#10 ·
I think the headliner and sunvisors are original.

The front and rear seats have just been recovered.

#12 ·
Now that I took those pictures it sure looks like the headliner needs a cleaning. Time to get out the Tuff Stuff Upholstery Foam Cleaner. :eek:

#14 ·
Well, I did something I never have done before. I bought another '69 Chevelle for parts. It's rough but I could use a lot of little things that are on the car.

Here's some pictures of the Insta-Gator.

#15 ·
How long of a warranty did '69 cars get from Chevrolet? My motor has a CE block in it and I am wondering if it could be an original warranty block. Casting number is 3999290 and the casting date is March 15 1973.

Thanks, Kurt

#16 ·
..CE4XXXXX..is service replacement for athe ending in 4..and with a 73 casting most likely 1974..could it be warrantied that long??

#19 ·
What do you mean by that? :confused:

I can tell you that the front bumper, valance, grill and hood are/were blue and the car is supposed to be garnet red. I'm sure they are off a '68.

#20 · (Edited)
Our 427 car had the 5-50 warranty. Bought new August 20, 1969, if I didn't go over the 50k mileage, I could have possibly gotten drivetrain warranty until August 20, 1974.
I am wondering if it is an original warranty block for the car. The car was built 06C and it currently reads 40K on the odometer. The motor could have been replaced within the 5 years.

It probably isn't but there is a small chance.

Kurt

#21 ·
Wow, your link to Beloit Autorama stopped me in my tracks. I'm there every year. Live about a mile away and put my Buick in the show every year. My 'Velle is not Autorama caliber, so it stays home. Nice to see someone so close to home on this site, and nice car!!!:yes: Maybe we'll cross paths sometime.

Tom

#24 ·
Tom, nice to hear from a local. I live near the DMV off Wuthering Hills in Janesville. Let me know when it gets close to Autorama and we can meet somewhere.

Kurt :beers:

#25 ·
Well, I pulled out the T-400 and will be putting it back to an original 4-Speed car! :D

#26 ·
I just bought these for the Chevelle. I hope they work with the stud girdle.

#28 ·
Jason, the car was being sold by a dealer for a private owner. I ended up purchasing it from the owner. You are right, it was on eBay multiple times.

Kurt

#29 ·
I have been busy/lazy and put the Chevelle on the back burner for a while but that's gonna change. Here is the latest picture of the floors. I cleaned all the glue off and did a little welding. Next is POR-15 and then cutting a hole for the 4-Speed and weld on the shifter tunnel pan.

#30 ·
Here is what it looks like after the POR-15.

This is the new vinyl floor that I bought from ACC.

#32 ·
I bought a dash panel from Ausley's. It was black so I painted blue to match the original one.

I also got the Muncie M22 today. :thumbsup: Now I just need to get a clutch and Pressure plate set up.

#33 ·
When I took the wire harness apart I noticed a wire that did not look right. Needless to say it's lucky this car is still around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.