BBC Roller Rocker Issues! - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Mar 13th, 09, 9:43 AM
Senior Tech Team

Default BBC Roller Rocker Issues!

Just want to put a "heads-up" here quick for anyone working with ANY brands of BB "ROLLER" rockers at the moment! SB's MAY be affected also, but this is definite on the BB's! (These aren't the "shaft-mtd." deals!)

Check the ratio's on ALL 16 rockers, DO NOT take for granted the advertised number's regardless whether they're "stamped" or not, or for that fact where they are mfd either!!!

We are working on a BB presently with a .460" lobe-lift and coming up short by some .048"+ on the lift with the 1.7 rockers! We should be "seeing" .782" (nom.) and we are at .732" (nom.)

We are working with 1.7's AND 1.8's combined, the 1.8's (same brand) are all fine and even added a few "thou"! This is acceptible on these!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I'm keeping names off here until some "behind the scenes" discussion's are resolved! At this time CHECK ALL ROCKERS, no "spot-checking" now!!

Last edited by GOSFAST; Mar 13th, 09 at 10:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 13th, 09, 10:04 AM

Default Re: BBC Roller Rocker Issues!

Gary,
This has been going on ever since rockers have been around. Stocker guys will sort through 100s' of OEM rockers to get a matched set. Some rocker mfg are more accurate then others.
http://online.flipbuilder.com/dgew/gken/
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Mar 13th, 09, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Gary,
This has been going on ever since rockers have been around. Stocker guys will sort through 100s' of OEM rockers to get a matched set. Some rocker mfg are more accurate then others.
I've been aware of that fact for many years, but you "missed" the title??

These are "roller-rockers", not "stockers!

(Add) Not sure any "stockers" will make .780" lifts?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I'll "fix" the wording inside the post!
Old Mar 13th, 09, 11:04 AM

Gary,
I worked at Omega Gear, I am well aware of what goes on with aluminum rockers. Mr. Herrick made the first aluminum rocker for Harvey many moons ago. I listened and learned to Rick about the do's and dont's. I have pushed Crane for many years because of the importance of the rocker triangle. . .formed between the seat the roller tip and the trunion.
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Mar 13th, 09, 12:10 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

OK..what ARE the decent, accurate ratio roller rocker mfg'r for a BB?
Recommendation?

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
Old Mar 13th, 09, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve "Dirty"

So let me get this right. Aftermarket roller rocker give less lift?
Old Mar 13th, 09, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

so did you get some miss stamped rockers or some lousy rockers just out of wack ?
Old Mar 13th, 09, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
OK..what ARE the decent, accurate ratio roller rocker mfg'r for a BB?
Recommendation?
Wild Bill, I perfer Crane. . .in a stud mount rocker. Jesel in a shaft rocker.

Last edited by cstraub; Mar 13th, 09 at 1:06 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 09, 3:35 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Wild Bill, I perfer Crane. . .in a stud mount rocker. Jesel in a shaft rocker.
I sold the Jesel Comp shaft rockers with the car.

I'm presently building a slightly milder, smaller BBC with a decent hyd roller cam.
Never used Cranes before...always been a Comp Pro Magnum kinda guy.
What model Cranes do you suggest Chris?
And if 'ya got a deal on them, shoot me an email...
THX.

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
Old Mar 13th, 09, 4:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Bill, I've always used the Crane gold's on my motors. The 540 is the first one, I've used the Jesels on.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.039 at 148.10, 1.266 60'
Old Mar 13th, 09, 7:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

sounds like deflection if you are checking this with a roller valve spring
Support our Troops!!!
Old Mar 13th, 09, 7:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Guy's, look here, take this post at face value and check ANY rockers you are building with now!

It's something that you all should be doing regardless of this issue!

It's been verified to be a legitimate problem, but it isn't known how widespread it is just yet!

It could very well be a simple stamping/packaging issue or not, we just don't know yet! I have a bunch more rockers on the way in Monday or Tuesday and we'll need a day or 2 check them over!

The mfr. is aware of what's going on and is being as helpful as possible! They've actually offered to ship some to us on "overnight" status, we declined the offer, a few extra days on this "dilemma" will not matter!

(Add) Just off topic for a moment, Crane at one time probably had the best rockers in the industry (we're talking "stud-mount" deals still), but as time passed they also got caught up the "buy-out" scenario, much like Lunati and others. We currently have a supply problem with the 1.7/1.8 combo's, as Crane had been an excellent source for the 1.8's! This allowed the rockers to be "matched" in appearance, in other words, all 16 looked the same! We've used numerous 1.6's from them also, but not in the quantities as the 1.8's! At this time we feel the 1.7/1.8 BB combo is "hot" enough to be sold in pre-packaged sets! Almost every BB we build "in-house", sees this combo! As for Crane "folding", it was in the cards from the mid '90's or thereabouts! Almost about the time "Ol Harv" got the boot!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Again, for now, check your rocker ratio's, the "professionals" wouldn't have it, or do it, any other way! It should be a "standard" part of the procedure/build!
Old Mar 13th, 09, 8:09 PM
Banned
Butch

Gary,

Crane Golds are still to this day the best stud mounted rocker arm out in my opinion. Hopefully Crane will re-surface

What if the cams lobe lift was wrong and these rockers read lower lift at the valve and the other rockers that read close are the ones stamped wrong and are actually a greater ratio

These types of threads really are useless without saying what part your talking about. Crane rocker, comp, lunati, scorpion, isky, crower etc

An engine builder who doesnt check everything on a race engine / performance engine is crazy so if there ever was a problem it should be caught
Old Mar 13th, 09, 9:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

Hi Butch, I wasn't coming back so soon here, but let me go through your points one at a time, not sure I can put in any clearer! And I enjoy your posts by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmnatr View Post
Gary,

Crane Golds are still to this day the best stud mounted rocker arm out in my opinion. Hopefully Crane will re-surface

Ans. Crane isn't coming back too soon (this is what I've been told, I have no first-hand knowledge)! I would not purchase a single Crane rocker anymore with a non-existent company, my preference!

What if the cams lobe lift was wrong and these rockers read lower lift at the valve and the other rockers that read close are the ones stamped wrong and are actually a greater ratio

Ans. We've established lobe lift (.460"), if a 1.8 rocker yields .828" lift, unless math equations have been altered, a 1.7 rocker MUST yield .782" lift (using the same lobe). If not, there IS a "proverbial" issue!

These types of threads really are useless without saying what part your talking about. Crane rocker, comp, lunati, scorpion, isky, crower etc

Ans. It's not fair to "hammer" any company until the cards are all layed out!

An engine builder who doesnt check everything on a race engine / performance engine is crazy so if there ever was a problem it should be caught

Ans. I agree! (But I really wonder how many out there simply change out some rockers looking for some gains)

The entire point of this thread as I stated from the beginning was a "heads-up". "Be aware", nothing more!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Dove Engineering and Harland Sharp, in that order, in my opinion, make the best rockers (now) in the arena! From this point forward it looks as though we will stay with the aluminum 1.7/1.8 BB setup from Comp? That's the approach as of this evening! Eventually I'll need more 1.6's also, but not at the moment! I have enough in inventory to suffice and I can get these also from Comp when necessary!
Old Mar 14th, 09, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Let me put this one to rest! Want to keep the record straight.

We've established a "false alarm" here with the rockers themselves.

It is definitely isolated and a packaging, or in this case a re-packaging issue!

The vendor will remain anonymous, it was NOT their issue!

Still check all your rockers on ass'y! Good practice to follow!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I'll add this tip here, be careful of purchasing non-sealed parts from any warehouses. If the original packaging looks disturbed in any way, return the parts or at least notify the vendor immediately! This particular box was not sealed! We had run into an issue similar to this years ago with rings being purchased and "different" ones being returned in the boxes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: BBC Roller Rocker Issues!
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.