Angled Ram Horn Exhaust Manifolds - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Feb 11th, 09, 2:40 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Default Angled Ram Horn Exhaust Manifolds

I was thinking about using a set of these on my 72 Chevelle 350, if they will work? Anybody have any problems using these?

TIA,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 09, 3:37 PM
Tech Team
George

Default Re: Angled Ram Horn Exhaust Manifolds

are we talking about rams-horn manifold design used on early corvette's ?
Old Feb 11th, 09, 4:02 PM
Tech Team
JohnnyRotten

my '68 Chevy C10 had angular Rams on it, dunno if they were factory or not... not 2-1/2 Vette rams either, they were 2-1/4 units

here's an image, are these what you're asking about ?

a "Gaggle of Mannys"

Old Feb 11th, 09, 4:20 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Yeah, I was asking about the ones that are angled back and not straight down. I read that they were used on 66-67 Novas and 64-68 passenger cars/trucks with small blocks. Just wondering if there is a problem with crossmember interference?
Old Feb 11th, 09, 4:24 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Ram's horn manifolds will not work with a Chevelle. The outlet opens right into the crossmember that runs under the engine. I doubt that you could even bolt them to the engine in a Chevelle chassis.
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings
Old Feb 11th, 09, 4:26 PM
Tech Team
JohnnyRotten

the ChevyII manifolds look similar but aren't the same... and the costs are rising for a set of them...

sounds like Rich has posted some important info regarding the angular manifolds...

best of luck,

JR
Old Feb 11th, 09, 4:26 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Ram's horn manifolds will not work with a Chevelle. The outlet opens right into the crossmember that runs under the engine. I doubt that you could even bolt them to the engine in a Chevelle chassis.
Both the straight and angled...neither one will work? I knew the straight ones wouldn't work but wasn't sure about the angled ones.
** was a little bit late on the send button.....thanks for the info guys!**

Is their any other option for manifolds besides the stock log manifolds?
I was hoping for a better manifold option without going to headers.
Old Feb 11th, 09, 5:09 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsteve View Post
Both the straight and angled...neither one will work? I knew the straight ones wouldn't work but wasn't sure about the angled ones.
** was a little bit late on the send button.....thanks for the info guys!**

Is their any other option for manifolds besides the stock log manifolds?
I was hoping for a better manifold option without going to headers.
Log manifolds, shorty headers or headers. I've heard that some of the later model Camaro and Firebird log manifolds flow better and MIGHT fit but I don't know any details. If you want manifolds, just go with the correct era Chevelle small block log manifolds. Other than cosmetic details they are all about the same. Earlier versions have provisions for a driver's side mounted alternator, later ones do not which would factor in depending on if you have a long or short water pump set up (long = passenger side alternator bolted to the HEAD, short = driver's side alternator bolted to the MANIFOLD).

Nothing wrong with headers if you buy something other than the cheap brands. Shorty headers have less clearance and fit issues so I'm told.
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings
Old Feb 11th, 09, 7:35 PM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

Sanderson cast iron headers. they're really more like a deluxe cast manifold. Pretty cool IMO for a reasonable small block. One of the guys here has them on an early Chevelle with a late type crate engine.

I saw a pic in the last couple days, but don't remember the thread or section. If you really want to see it, search for all posts by all by me Tom Mobley for this week. You'll find one that has a line like "I like your car, clean and simple"

Now all you guys stop laughing, there won't be THAT many posts by me in the last week or so.
Old Feb 11th, 09, 7:48 PM
Paul

I have to add my 2-cents here.

I don't think the '64 'Vette type 2.5" ramshorns were ever made in the angled version so they are probably smaller like 1.875", 2.00" and maybe 2.25".

And I don't know if the angled versions are too long/deep and so will also hit the frame regardless or not?? But I really figure that they will.

One thing that I do want to mention is and that is that back in the early '90's, Camaro's had cast-iron manifolds on them that were tubed like headers so please check into this!

And that also, I know for a fact that the long bed Chevy 1-ton p/u's like the state DOT used had SS pipe headers on them instead of cast-iron cast exhaust manifolds so look into this too!!

pdq67
Old Feb 11th, 09, 7:53 PM
Team Member
Tom

There were 2 basic versions of the "angled back" Ram Horn manifolds. One style was used on early Novas and the other style were used on trucks. EVEN THOUGH BOTH ARE ANGLED BACK, THE TRUCK MANIFOLDS AND NOVA MANIFOLDS ARE NOT THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!
The angled back Nova manifolds are bringing big bucks.
NEITHER, repeat, NEITHER WILL FIT A CHEVELLE OR A CAMARO.
The ONLY cast iron (factory) manifolds for a SB that will work are the log style (go under the spark plugs). PERIOD!!!!
UNFORTUNATELY, there was NEVER a 2 1/2in factory ex manifold for the Chevelles.
In the history of the small block Chevy engine, the ONLY 2 1/2in manifolds were the Ram Horn versions for 62-65 hi-perf 327s (ONLY in Vettes and full size cars).
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Feb 11th, 09, 8:02 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
There were 2 basic versions of the "angled back" Ram Horn manifolds. One style was used on early Novas and the other style were used on trucks. EVEN THOUGH BOTH ARE ANGLED BACK, THE TRUCK MANIFOLDS AND NOVA MANIFOLDS ARE NOT THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!
The angled back Nova manifolds are bringing big bucks.
NEITHER, repeat, NEITHER WILL FIT A CHEVELLE OR A CAMARO.
The ONLY cast iron (factory) manifolds for a SB that will work are the log style (go under the spark plugs). PERIOD!!!!
UNFORTUNATELY, there was NEVER a 2 1/2in factory ex manifold for the Chevelles.
In the history of the small block Chevy engine, the ONLY 2 1/2in manifolds were the Ram Horn versions for 62-65 hi-perf 327s (ONLY in Vettes and full size cars).
Thanks for the info, I just learned something new! So do you think that the camaro manifolds metioned above will not work either?
Old Feb 11th, 09, 8:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I believe the LT1 manifolds (93-97 F-body) may work. I remember seeing them used with LT1's swapped into Chevelles. The third gen Camaros (82-92) manifolds probably aren't any better than the original Chevelle manifolds, so I wouldn't waste time with them.
67 El Camino - Sold
Old Feb 12th, 09, 12:53 AM
Team Member
Tom

The earlier log style manifolds, used on both Chevelles(beginning in 64) and Camaros(beginning in 67) are almost identical and ARE interchangeable. The right side manifolds (except for some EXTERIOR variations) are exactly the same design. The left side manifolds came in a few different versions, BUT, they are bolt-on interchangeable. There are some left side manifolds which are straight, and there are some that have a little bit of a dogleg in them (I believe used on Camaros). It is possibly the ones with a slight dogleg which is considered less desireable for flow.
ALL 64-68 LEFT side manifolds have a bracket cast onto them for mounting the alternator. These are becoming somewhat hard to find and are becoming more expensive. The 69-later left side manifolds do not need the alternator bracket because the alternator was moved over to the right side in 69 and mounted to the head.
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Feb 12th, 09, 9:48 AM
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Brzezinski Racing Products make some log & rams horn manifolds with 2 1/4" outlets. They are spendy, but at least they exist.

Link: http://www.castheads.com/log_systems.php

They even have the uncommon Chevy II rams horn manifolds with the angled outlet.

I'm not sure about whether or not Chevy actually made a log-type with 2 1/4" outlets. Perhaps the old 302 Z/28 might have had them?

My Showroom
TC Gold #120
Completely stock 67 Malibu Sport Coupe 6 cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Angled Ram Horn Exhaust Manifolds
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.