narrowing rear frame rails - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Old Feb 8th, 09, 5:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

Default narrowing rear frame rails

hey Ive been searching around and I doubt theres a how to on the subject but was wondering if anyone had a photo diary of narrowing the rear frame rails on their car. Ive seen maybe three pictures of it done after the fact but nothing about it in progress. More or less Im wondering how to keep everything squared up after everything gets cut and put back together. Im aware the best way would be to use a frame jig but short of having that is there any other effective ways of doing it and having satisfactory results afterwards? I know of one method for doing an aftermarket rear clip where you just build it inside the stock frame rails and cut the stock metal off after your done but Im figuring the method employed on cars like Mali2ude require a different process. If you have any pointers on doing this lemme know cause I hope to start on this project fairly soon (within the next week if possible) Thanks again hope you can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 8th, 09, 10:26 AM
Team Member
Paul

Default Re: narrowing rear frame rails

I was looking at doing this myself but im only notching my frame about 2 inches. I found a good set of how 2 pics for this but i think your going a lot further than this. If you want them pm me.

Paul
Old Feb 8th, 09, 10:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

With the number of us that have webpages featuring our cars construction I'll bet someone has more detailed pics of this process. We Chevelle afficionados really have to get more organized.
Old Feb 8th, 09, 11:20 AM
Tech Team
David

I borrowed pics from buttslapper69, this is what I'm doing to my 70 Chevelle to fit 19x12's

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...c/DSC00268.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...c/DSC00271.jpg
Old Feb 8th, 09, 5:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

No I was planning on doing like what Demonic Obsidian or Mali2ude have done. The rear frame rails are cut off, narrowed, then gusseted on either side

I thought about notching it but I wanna give myself enough room for a 335 if I want it. I just cant think of a good way to keep the frame squared up once the whole back of the frame is lopped off.

Last edited by Matty B; Feb 8th, 09 at 5:26 PM.
Old Feb 8th, 09, 7:32 PM
Tech Team
David

I was thinking a 335 would fit if you notched the frame about 5/8 of an inch. My 315's fit very easy and a 335 is only an inch wider? thats a 1/2 per side, with a 12 inch wide rim and 7" offset. My 315 was on an 11" rim with 6 inch offset on a 67 rearend, 1/2 narrower than a 70 rearend. I'm going back with a 12 bolt rear from a 70, so a 7" offset and a 5/8 notch should work.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...c/DSC00268.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...c/DSC00271.jpg
Old Feb 8th, 09, 8:09 PM
Tech Team

Hi Jody might chime in on this thread. He is the owner of the malitude now he may now a thing or two of what markstielow did. For me I did everything from the magazine article but did get it done I am currently cleaning up my weld which after the fact they look like crap.

for the actual frame narrowing from driver side to passenger side tac in some angle iron at these points first point in front of the lower rear just before the body mount then after the rear end after that body mount right around where your fuel tank would sit. Then after those are welded in tac from the forward angle iron to the crossmember in two points and the same in the rear to the crossmember at two points then make your cuts

http://www.demonic-obsidian.com/
Old Feb 8th, 09, 9:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454RAT View Post
I was thinking a 335 would fit if you notched the frame about 5/8 of an inch. My 315's fit very easy and a 335 is only an inch wider? thats a 1/2 per side, with a 12 inch wide rim and 7" offset. My 315 was on an 11" rim with 6 inch offset on a 67 rearend, 1/2 narrower than a 70 rearend. I'm going back with a 12 bolt rear from a 70, so a 7" offset and a 5/8 notch should work.
you have a 70 though wich has ample room in the wheel wells compared to a 64 which has just enough room for a space saver spare lol
Old Feb 8th, 09, 9:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantheman View Post
Hi Jody might chime in on this thread. He is the owner of the malitude now he may now a thing or two of what markstielow did. For me I did everything from the magazine article but did get it done I am currently cleaning up my weld which after the fact they look like crap.

for the actual frame narrowing from driver side to passenger side tac in some angle iron at these points first point in front of the lower rear just before the body mount then after the rear end after that body mount right around where your fuel tank would sit. Then after those are welded in tac from the forward angle iron to the crossmember in two points and the same in the rear to the crossmember at two points then make your cuts
First thanks for the input, second do you happen to know what issue the article about Malitude is where they actually do the frame? I look through super chevy and popular hot rodding and I dont thinkk they have that one article online.

Third If Im following you correctly you want to weld in braces between the rear body mounts in front of the gas tank and also between the body monts that are under the rear seat. Then weld in braces front to back from the forward crossbrace to the upper control arm crossmember and from that crossmember to the back crossbrace? Thats the way I understood your post but I may be totally off base.

Im probably just over complicating the whole thing but being that this is major structural surgery I want to know the right way to pull this off without trashing the frame.
Old Feb 8th, 09, 10:11 PM
Tech Team

The articles I have were from Popular Hotrodding you would need to give me some time to dig them up I forgot were I put them. and you understood everything I said correctly

Old Feb 8th, 09, 10:22 PM
Tech Team

here is a picture to help you understand the bracing before cutting the rails out sorry I just did it on the paint program

Old Feb 9th, 09, 1:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

thats just how I pictured it in my head. Ok from there Im figuriing that you make sure the frame is well supported all over the place in the back with jackstands. Then you take out even amount of material from both side of the upper control arm crossmember. Then you do your cuts fromnt and back and at that point youll have two frame rails that are loose and the center section of the UCA xmember is floating in midair by the braces. Then you just line up the UCA xmember pices and tack those then cut wedges of box steel to gusset the frame itself and weld those in and you got it licked. If I have the general gist of it right lemme know cause Ill start at it tomorrow night. Thanks again is almost time to start cutting!!

Last edited by Matty B; Feb 9th, 09 at 1:49 AM.
Old Feb 9th, 09, 2:40 AM
Tech Team

First of all make sure your frame is absolutly level front to back and side to side then tac weld your angle iron in place then do one frame rail at a time take it out modifie it then weld it back in place then do the opposite time. I can give you some pics if you run into trouble with the center crossmember

Old Feb 9th, 09, 3:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

feel free to post them up anytime you like!! The more info the better but from the sounds of it I think I got the general idea or at least I think I do so now I gotta grap the plasma axe and actually do it lol
Old Feb 9th, 09, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Smile Re: narrowing rear frame rails

Are you going to take lots of pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: narrowing rear frame rails
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.