Lucas Oil Stabilizer - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Feb 6th, 09, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Paul

Default Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Is this stuff worth the money?

Sounds like it offers no extra Zn and P.

If using an additive or just an oil high in Zn and P, is there any reason to spend some another 12 bucks on a quart of Lucas Stabilizer?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 6th, 09, 10:30 PM
Banned

Default Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Check this out and tell me what you think. I will never put Lucus in my car, unless you like foam in your motor oil.

Check out this link and Study:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Last edited by shonuff; Feb 6th, 09 at 10:30 PM. Reason: *
Old Feb 6th, 09, 10:39 PM
Tech Team

I use it in my car.....no foam as the link shows.
Personally, I like the stuff.
Old Feb 7th, 09, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Some people swear by it and I read about a year or so ago a good thread that argued why Bobistheoilguy's little experiment is not valid and would not replicate what actually happens in most automotive engines. The rpms do not go that high and not for that long in most street/ drag situations.
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crankshaft, Lunati Pro-Mod rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1 compression, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050, .523/.542 lift, 112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs, Tremec TKO-500, Lemons headers, Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles & 3.42 gears
Old Feb 7th, 09, 11:53 AM
Tech Team
Matthew

Send a message via AIM to mkube396

i will not run it. if u need thicker oil then get thicker oil. but there trans stuff works good on fixing a trans befor u sell it
3:42 Posi GTA rims
Holley 750 3310
8.61 1/8 mile on street tires

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...uff/monte1.jpg
Old Feb 7th, 09, 12:04 PM
Banned
Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-cars-live-forever View Post
Is this stuff worth the money?

Sounds like it offers no extra Zn and P.

If using an additive or just an oil high in Zn and P, is there any reason to spend some another 12 bucks on a quart of Lucas Stabilizer?

Thanks
Bottom line is your gonna get alot of "OPINIONS"

Here is my opinion,,,,
Little Story, had a customer who needed lifters in his Dodge Caravan, back head as they dont get any airflow over the valve cover and they gum up. At that time Wynn's was the products to use. We changed the oil and still made noise. We did this with 3-4 different additives

He ended up going over to the parts house to get a different additive, they had a new shipment of this new product called Lucas. He bought it and oil and brought it to me. I said "This $hit is not gonna work"

I changed the oil and dumped it in the oil first, fired the van up after filling it with oil. Made noise for about 20 seconds then the noise went away. He drove the van for a long time after that, ALWAYS PUT LUCAS IN IT AFTER THAT

I called the parts house where he got it and ordered a couple, he said we have it in gallons, i ordered 2 gallons and 1 quart and used the quart bottle to measure it

BOTTOM LINE, the stuff works for applications like that

For a performance engine i think your better off with Valvoline VR1, Royal Purple Race oil, Kendall or Brad Penn oil

Just my $.02
Old Feb 8th, 09, 6:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Paul

Alright. Thanks all.
Old Feb 8th, 09, 7:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Although you won't see it on parts house shelves, Lucas does make a break in additive that has increased Z & P. It costs as much as Crane break in does from Jegs or Summit and you will have to find someone to order it for you from Lucas. I have tried to buy it from their warehouse with no luck.

A local engine shop/dyno tuner uses it exclusively in the new motors. They broke in and dyno'ed a motor for us last year and refused to do unless we had additive or oil with enough zinc. When I explained we had used the Crane, they were OK with that. Otherwise they would have put the Lucas in. This is not stabilizer, it is an actual break in additive.
Old Feb 8th, 09, 11:51 PM
Team Member

Smile Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Here ya go,pasted below is all the info on the new Lucas oil additive with ZDDP/Zinc & P thats mfg specifically for flat tappet cam applications.

But i would not rec using the std Lucas oil stabilizer or any other oil additive like stp etc in a good running motor or for flat tappet cam breakin or post breakin. There is absolutely no reason to use products like those in a good running motor that sees proper oil & filter change maint IMHO.

An older somewhat tired motor that has issues Like Butch mentioned or oa motor thats just plain real tired is a different story & in that case only maybe needs the oil thickend a bit with an oil additive due to worn/slopy bearing clearances & or worn rings etc.

I have seen many motors over the 37yrs i have been working on cars & light truck motors with 150k-200k miles on them still running decent /mostly quiet/ not using much if any oil with no major repairs along the way. But those high miles motors that still ran well always had 3k-4k oil & filter changes with conventional oil all their life thus far (which is key to longjevity) with no oil additives like Lucas stabilizer-STP or whatever required to reach those miles & still be running well.

The only oil additive i use would be GM EOS /Cranes superlube/ZDDPLUS/Camshield etc for breakin & or ongoing protection post breakin of flat tappet cams and thats it when it comes to a new motor or one that's in good running cond no matter what the age/miles.

Scott
================================================== ==========

* LUCAS PT# 10063

* IT'S CALLED: ENGINE BREAK-IN OIL ADDITIVE TB ZINC PLUS

* ACCORDING TO LUCAS 16OZ BOTTLE IN 4.5QTS OIL = APPROX 5,000PPM ZINC

* HERES THE LINK TO THE MFG SPECS FOR THE NEW LUCAS OIL ADDITIVE:

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...tve_tbzinc.pdf

* HERES THE SUMMIT PT# TO BUY THE NEW LUCAS ZDDP ADDITIVE : LUC-10063-1
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)

Last edited by SWHEATON; Feb 9th, 09 at 12:15 AM.
Old Feb 9th, 09, 12:09 PM
Tech Team
Matthew

the link isint working
Holley 750 3310

Old Feb 9th, 09, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crankshaft, Lunati Pro-Mod rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1 compression, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050, .523/.542 lift, 112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs, Tremec TKO-500, Lemons headers, Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles & 3.42 gears
Old Feb 9th, 09, 1:39 PM
Team Member

Smile Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer

MKUBIAK402/Well since the link isnt working anymore how about you taking 1 min to go to Summit's site and type in their search window (ENGINE BREAK-IN OIL ADDITIVE TB ZINC PLUS) to see what comes up?

Maybe you could then have helped us out here in t/chevelle and posted the newer link that's currently working since link i had from a couple months back doesn't work anymore?

You have the product name ,Lucas PT #,the Lucas tech info on what the ZDDP lvl is when added to oil ,and where to find it Summit) and all you can do is just say the link doesnt work like you expect someone else to get it for you, (WTF!!) .

Why not go way out on a limb taking a ton of effort on your part to help us out & fix it/getting the newer working link ,might take a couple mins?

I find its amazing how many people need to be spoon fed and wont take a min to look for something themselves,i see it often here.

AHHHHH!!!!!! , I just had to let that out (LOL!!!!!!!!).

==================================================

Mike,thanks a lot for showing what the " TEAM " in Team Chevelle means by taking the time to locate & re-post the working link for the Lucas ZDDP additive for all of us in the TEAM!!!!!

Thanks....Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
Old Feb 9th, 09, 2:18 PM
Tech Team
Matthew

OMG it was tring to fined the PDF and i didint fined it
I didn’t mean to piss in your corn flakes this morning.
Holley 750 3310

Last edited by mkube396; Feb 9th, 09 at 6:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Lucas Oil Stabilizer
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.