Harmonic Balancer Slipped? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jan 12th, 09, 10:39 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Default Harmonic Balancer Slipped?

Well after concluding that my poor timing was due to a slipped harmonic balancer I was curious if there was a way to fix it and set it back up to normal. To install the balancer I set it on its tooth, put a block of wood in front of it, and started pounding on it with a hammer to get it back in... Apparently that isnt a good idea. So all in all how should I go about resetting it so I can have accurate timing readings?
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 09, 10:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Default Re: Harmonic Balancer Slipped?

Buy, rent or borrow a balancer installation tool. (one source) Use to install your NEW balancer, the one you pounded on is DONE.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku
Old Jan 12th, 09, 10:59 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1_bradley View Post
Buy, rent or borrow a balancer installation tool. (one source) Use to install your NEW balancer, the one you pounded on is DONE.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku
I bought some sort of kit from auto zone that I used to remove the dampener. Would I have been able to use it to put it back on? Yes I have a crank bolt.

That sucks what would a balancer go for? Also why did it ruin it? It went on straight...
Old Jan 12th, 09, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

You can buy a new dampener from Chevrolet fairly inexpensively.... they will sell you the one that goes with the engine so it would be the right part. If the outer ring moves, it needs to be replaced.... it will just move again even if you had the right equipment to 'correct' the movement. Hammering the dampener on is the 'NOT RECOMMENDED' way of installing it. The removal tool removes... an installing tool does the other part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 09, 11:08 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalkingbear View Post
You can buy a new dampener from Chevrolet fairly inexpensively.... they will sell you the one that goes with the engine so it would be the right part. If the outer ring moves, it needs to be replaced.... it will just move again even if you had the right equipment to 'correct' the movement. Hammering the dampener on is the 'NOT RECOMMENDED' way of installing it. The removal tool removes... an installing tool does the other part.
Ah I see. Yeah that makes sense. I was just wondering if you could convert the removal parts into a putting it back on parts.
Old Jan 12th, 09, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

If you've hammered on it, it's trash, throw it away and buy a new one. Install the new one with the proper tool, which is basically a piece of threaded rod, a washer and a nut. They need to be installed and removed by pushing or pulling on the hub, not on the outer ring.

Tom
Old Jan 12th, 09, 11:20 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by figbash View Post
If you've hammered on it, it's trash, throw it away and buy a new one. Install the new one with the proper tool, which is basically a piece of threaded rod, a washer and a nut. They need to be installed and removed by pushing or pulling on the hub, not on the outer ring.

Tom
Alright I understand the concept. I will get a new balancer asap
Old Jan 12th, 09, 11:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

There are places that rebuild them, if you want to keep your original - damper dudes; damper doctor, etc. Google 'em.

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/307290...rolet-chevelle
Old Jan 13th, 09, 8:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Alex what lead you to believe the damper has slipped? Are you sure that when you installed the cam that you had the timing marks lined up correctly.....While not optimal or even remotely recommended I have seen dampers reinstalled with a block of wood and they survived.
Old Jan 13th, 09, 3:05 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCB67SS View Post
Alex what lead you to believe the damper has slipped? Are you sure that when you installed the cam that you had the timing marks lined up correctly.....While not optimal or even remotely recommended I have seen dampers reinstalled with a block of wood and they survived.
I had it lined up as close as it was going to line up. It was perfect. One tooth more or less made it way off. Heres a picture, its hard to tell but you can see its even.

Also, I was reading 55-60* at 2000 rpm with glowing headers. As I advanced the timing more the headers went away, the car ran better, but still had some backfire. Right now the canister is touching the intake so I need to move it a tooth or move the plugs over and retard for more room.

I reinstalled it with a block of wood too. I just dont see how anything could have moved if it was on the tooth off the crankshaft
Old Jan 13th, 09, 3:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

OK, I'm confused, you've been discussing a balancer and post a photo of the timing chain and gears? Anyway, I'm not convinced your balancer is your problem. I've installed several balancers with hammer and wood back in the old days when there was no money for special tools. Never had a problem with any of them. Re-install the balancer, find true TDC with the #1 piston, and check the alignment of the balancer with your timing tab.
Old Jan 13th, 09, 5:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

In your photo you do realize your on number 6 compression and not number 1 correct?....To be on number one compression the dot on your upper pulley will be at 12 o'clock with the crank being the same as your photo 12 o'clock. In your other post you mention a oil leak....Now I could see how installing the damper with a block of wood could lead to a rear main leak. As mentioned previously its not the best method or recommended but I have personally done it myself in my youth......Back then either things were a whole lot simpler or I had that magic horseshoe up my A$$.
Old Jan 13th, 09, 6:41 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCB67SS View Post
In your photo you do realize your on number 6 compression and not number 1 correct?....To be on number one compression the dot on your upper pulley will be at 12 o'clock with the crank being the same as your photo 12 o'clock. In your other post you mention a oil leak....Now I could see how installing the damper with a block of wood could lead to a rear main leak. As mentioned previously its not the best method or recommended but I have personally done it myself in my youth......Back then either things were a whole lot simpler or I had that magic horseshoe up my A$$.
No that is the number one tdc... I wouldnt think it would start at all let alone run for 20 minutes with minor problems.

I ran it today at idle and it ran alright, backed it out of the garage and put it back in. No real problems. Did sound strange, not as loud as it did before and didnt have a lopey idle at all unlike the SMALLER cam that was in it before. Anyway its become a annoying timing issue. I noticed that I had about an inch left before I would rub the intake and I went ahead and started advancing it. After some movement the motor stalled out and died. I tried to start it up but the starter was hmmm lagging and really slow even though the battery was fine. It was also shooting up gas vapor out of the carb. I set back the timing a little bit and it started up but smoked out the tail pipes a bit... At least now after the cam break in I can idle it...
Old Jan 13th, 09, 7:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ing+chain+dots
Old Jan 13th, 09, 8:27 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Alright I read that and my dot does align with the dot on the crankshaft. I didnt use the triangle and it would be in that position otherwise...
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Harmonic Balancer Slipped?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.