Drum Brake Front Hub Offset/Interchange - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Jan 5th, 09, 3:52 PM
Tech Team
Doug

Default Drum Brake Front Hub Offset/Interchange

Wanted to see if anyone has info on drum brake front hub interchange between models. Chevelle, Nova, Camaro..all the "short" spindle stuff.

It's my understanding that some offsets are different. For instance Nova's have the flange closer to the spindle etc.

Does anyone have dimensions or other info?

I'm going to put together (another) disc conversion and wanted to use slip-on rotors but, need clearence for wide tires. I would rather use steel than aluminum (aftermarket) for cost but also because of the thermal expansion differences.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 5th, 09, 11:42 PM
Tech Team
Doug

Default Re: Drum Brake Front Hub Offset/Interchange

A little help.....

I got from a Camaro site that disc hubs are 9/16 shorter than drum....but no info on overall measurement.

(What's a Camaro?????)

Anyway, trying to put this together so "we" can use OEM parts rather than Chi-Com and Korean repos. for conversions.

Thanks again..
Old Jan 6th, 09, 12:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

64-72 A body (Chevelle, GTO, etc), 67-69 F body (Camaro, Firebird), and 68-74 X body (Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo) cars all use the same spindle.
a disc spindle is just a drum spindle with the big top boss cut down a little over 1/2", and the early (64-65, maybe into 66)A body spindles have smaller holes for the steering arm and upper boss.
the A bodies use a different steering arm than the F and X bodies- which use a couple of different but interchangable arms.

-Hank Hill
Old Jan 6th, 09, 1:38 AM
Tech Team
Doug

Derrick,
Thanks for the reply....I have the spindles fairly well in hand.

Interested in the hubs...There were disc and drum front hubs for different models (Camaro, Nova etc.) with different offsets. This would change the front wheel offset.

Does anybody have dimensions for the flange position? Some are closer to the spindle for disc vs. drum but I would like to get numbers so I can match up rotors and hubs for different wheel backspacing.

Looking to make some custom caliper brackets but, want to control wheel offset/clearance.
Thanks....

Old Jan 6th, 09, 7:35 PM
Paul

Right at 9/16" difference in track width PER SIDE between drum hubs and both 2-piece rotor/hub and 1-piece cast rotor hubs.

David Pozzi's great 1st Gen site has pic's of them side by side.

pdq67
Old Jan 6th, 09, 10:42 PM
Tech Team
T

All I found was this over at Touring Classics (presumably, this is the Nova/Camaro/Chevelle drum hub):
Old Jan 7th, 09, 4:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

well , since Chevelles, Camaros, and Novas all use the same brake rotors and drums, i'd say that the hubs are all probably the same.
the only different hub might be the hub for the stock 2 piece disc rotors- but those are getting hard to come by.

-Hank Hill
Old Jan 7th, 09, 3:29 PM
Tech Team
Doug

Tobin at Kore3 gave me some good info....Drum Hubs measure ~2.415 from the back to the flange. (Looks about right from TMessic's post)

Per one of the Camaro sites a 1st gen disc hub (for the 2 piece set up) is 9/16" shorter. (I think this is the one pdq67 mentioned.)

All the caliper brackets (Kore3, at least) are made for a drum hub swap so I guess you pick up a little track increase.

Anybody have the thickness difference between a drum a disc?

Thanks Much Everybody
Old Jan 7th, 09, 6:58 PM
Paul

Again, please do a search for David's great 1st Gen. Camaro car site.

"Right at 9/16" difference in track width PER SIDE between drum hubs and both 2-piece rotor/hub and 1-piece cast rotor hubs.

David Pozzi's great 1st Gen site has pic's of them side by side."

pdq67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Drum Brake Front Hub Offset/Interchange
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.