Stripped Distributor gear - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

Old May 15th, 02, 8:01 PM
Steveberlack

I have a 454 Hi Perf block with a 4.25 crank. My distributor gear on my accel distributor wore down over time, and then crushed on the cam gear under hard acceleration at 500 miles. I am running a high volume oil pump at about 70-80 psi cold. The engine was dynoed at 570 HP at the flywheel. Any ideas on why this happened to a non adjustable installation. I know that with a billet cam you should use a bronze gear, but this Crower cam was not a billet unit. What now, tear down, clean out, machine as neccesary and re-build? Any idea why this happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 02, 10:28 PM
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Matt Smith Send a message via MSN to Matt Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Smith

I would tear the egine down as there is now metal EVERYWHERE. MAKE SURE it's clean then reassmble
Old May 17th, 02, 4:29 PM
Gold Member
Mark

Ditto's to Matt. You'd better clean'er out!

Seems like we are hearing more and more problems with distributor gears. I'm thinking that the HV oil pump is the culprit. That's putting a lot of stress on the gear. I'm starting to get the notion that if you ever have a bronze gear, you might want to use a stock oil pump. Most will agree the stock pump is up to the task, even on a built engine. Sorry for your troubles, Steve.

------------------
-Mark "Some of us got it and some of us ain't." -Deputy Sheriff Barney Fife
TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375
1967 RailVelle
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/425 "Wow, that's a mighty strong 350!"
Rat Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Troubleshooting      Current Topic: Stripped Distributor gear
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.