400 Trans in a G body? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Nov 24th, 08, 10:40 PM
Tech Team

Question 400 Trans in a G body?

Has anyone here installed a turbo 400 trans short tail in a g body 79 Malibu. I know the yoke has to be changed, and also shorten the driveshaft. What about cross member, what did you have to do purchase aftermerket or fabricate one yourselF? Any help or tips Photos a plus. I have a nice 400 trans just sitting here whay not use it in one of my sons car. Thanks Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 08, 10:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Send a message via AIM to FourEightyNine
Default Re: 400 Trans in a G body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratengine View Post
Has anyone here installed a turbo 400 trans short tail in a g body 79 Malibu. I know the yoke has to be changed, and also shorten the driveshaft. What about cross member, what did you have to do purchase aftermerket or fabricate one yourselF? Any help or tips Photos a plus. I have a nice 400 trans just sitting here whay not use it in one of my sons car. Thanks Dave
I know it can be done, short shaft th400 in my buddies cutlass. Right behind his LS7 crate motor. Sorry no info about the modifications though.
Old Nov 24th, 08, 10:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West

My son had a crossmember made for his 80 Malibu by Rick Fisher in Pierce City,Mo. He has an ebay store but not sure what he goes by on ebay.
Old Nov 24th, 08, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian Gooding

Got to www.maliburacing.com and look up I think it is Iceman.......he is a sponsor on there and makes crossmembers. They are also on ebay, and allow for dual exhaust.

Just looked.......that is Rick Fisher.
6.21 @ 109.7
9.82 @ 134.9

9.87 pass/grudge match http://youtu.be/Au6Lq7rH9Ak

"Keep your hopes up and your pedal down"....Rowdy
Old Nov 24th, 08, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/pitqueen
Old Nov 24th, 08, 11:07 PM
Tech Team

Bob,Yes Thanks for the ebay seller of the aftermarket cross member. I found anice article on malibu racing thanks Blue 66. I have welding equipment at work. Here it is in case someone else wants to try. But I may just purchase one made by the fella on Ebay.

TH400 or 2004R
At first, I thought this was an easy swap. I read an article that said you can get the crossmember from any g-body equipped with a 2004R and it will bolt right up to the TH400. Well, that is partially true. IF you have a 84 OR LATER G-body, it will work. But, the 78-83 G-bodies never came with the 2004R. The frame rail crossmember mounts are different from the latter year models. The latter year G-bodies frame mount locations that extend further back (toward the rear of the car). Since the 78-83 models do not have these, you will not be able to use the factory crossmember (unless you make the frame extension piece). Other options are to either get a crossmember from G-Force Performance, get a "universal" crossmember, modify/fabricate your own, or make a frame extension piece and use the stock TH350 crossmember. I modified mine by removing the mount pad from the front side of the crossmember, then using 1/4" thick steel plate, welding it to the back side of the crossmember. I then drilled an elongated hole for the transmission mount bolt to go through. Not too difficult to do yourself if you have access to a welder. Otherwise, you will need to get someone to do this. The TH350 driveshaft will either need to be shortened, or you can use a stock one from a later model G-body that had a 2004R transmission. Remember, you will have to use the yoke from the TH400 on the new driveshaft.
Old Nov 24th, 08, 11:22 PM
Tech Team
Ross

82 Cutlass procharged 383 e85 street car
10.17/133
Old Nov 25th, 08, 1:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Send a message via AIM to FourEightyNine

Hey ross,

Have you broken header flanges with exhaust like that? My buddys cutlass ran a similar setup. And he build a brace of the transmission to support the weight off the end of the header, he also ran little mufflers.
Old Nov 25th, 08, 1:23 AM

yeah i bet that exhaust is quiet as a mouse....
Old Nov 25th, 08, 8:50 AM
Tech Team
Ross

I only run the exhaust at the track. I have a torque tech 3 1/2" x pipe with dynomax ultra flow round race mufflers also. I have tried both systems and picked up with the bullets. Never had any problems with running the mufflers like that. Yeah curley, super quiet....

82 Cutlass procharged 383 e85 street car
10.17/133
Old Nov 25th, 08, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Send a message via AIM to Skeeveman

I had a 85 cutlass with a 350 trans. I wouldn't think it would be any different with a 400, except for the fact that you might need to drill holes for the crossmember to bolt up on the frame. The only clearance issue I had was with the left side exhaust, when I had the exhaust shop weld up up, he cut a notch out of the pipe, inverted the piece he cut out and welded it back in. Provided great clearance for the exhaust.
12 Bolt w/ 3.55's
Best so far: 11.09@120.97 (Smokin' Mo-Kan Dragway, Hot Rod Reunion, 10-07-2012)
Old Nov 25th, 08, 10:59 AM

The picture in my profile is my 83 Olds Cutlass. Small block and Th400. I made the cross member and frame mounts for it out of 2"X2" square tube and flat stock. I also had to make a driveshaft for it. My car had 3" exhaust and dumps before the axle. I never had a problem with dragging the pipes. Anything can be done with the right measurements, proper amount of steel, and a few good welds. Go for it!
Old Nov 25th, 08, 3:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Not Andy

I put a Caddy 472 in an 83 Grand Prix and didn't ahve any probs with the factory x-member and a short tail TH400. I think I just moved the crossmember back and shortened the d-shaft with a Th400 yoke.
1999 350, Vortecs, GM's HOT cam, Holley Stealth Ram, 700R4, 4:10s
car: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps8c002323.jpg
engine: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/DSC03416.jpg

Northstar Calendars:
http://www.northstarchevelles.com/No...ndarorder3.pdf
Old Nov 25th, 08, 4:53 PM
Tech Team
Clint

Send a message via MSN to roughskinjrz

i have an 86 monte carlo am im running a blown 489 with a th400 bolt up and i purchased the g-force th400 crossmember from summitracing.com fits perfectly.
Old Nov 25th, 08, 10:32 PM
Tech Team

If you choose the Ice Man made crossmember be forewarned that unless you get the new lightweight style the original is built bullet proof. I bought one for my 78 Malibu & it weighs approximately 37 Lbs. Well built but very heavy.
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: 400 Trans in a G body?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.