"Basics of Basics" Window regulator spring removal or installation. - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Nov 24th, 08, 4:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default "Basics of Basics" Window regulator spring removal or installation.

“Basics of Basics” window regulator spring removal
By Brian Martin

Today I walked up to an apprentice at work to see him trying to put a spring on a window regulator with a screw driver, while another apprentice had a long pry bar against the spring so it wouldn’t pop off into someone’s face.

They were amazed at how easy we installed this spring using an old trick. Like with anything we are trying to bend, pull, “manipulate” around a car, it takes CONTROL over all other factors every time to get the job done with the least effort.

On this window regulator spring, the first thing is to take a picture of it, or at least draw a little diagram of how it goes back on! Nothing like staring at something like this after a day of hard work trying to figure out which way it goes. A digital camera helps a lot for stuff like this.

You want to hold the spring onto the regulator so it doesn’t fly off, to do that simply put a large C clamp around the back of the regulator onto the front of the shaft that the spring is on. This shaft is going all the way though and you can clamp this clamp on there pretty firmly without damaging anything.

Now you get a pair of vice grips and grab the end of the spring, you will have complete control as you pull the end of the spring off the hook that grabs it on the regulator. Like wise as the photos show, you have the same control to wind this spring back over to hook it on the hook where it belongs.

Don’t forget gloves, and a face shield isn’t a bad idea either, I like all my teeth! I know it isn’t going to go flying, but I still put on my seat belts on the way to work and I know I am not going to have an accident too, right?

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 08, 4:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Default Re: "Basics of Basics" Window regulator spring removal or installation

WOW, a new basics of basics. Glad to see a new one. Have not seen much of you around the forum lately. My adventures with springs came with those door hinge springs. Yes I know there is a simple cheap tool to remove and replace them, but hey its more fun doing it a screw driver and a pry bar, isn't it?
former ACES member, sorry it went under
1972 Chevelle 427, T-56 6 speed
1970 Chevelle project 3/4 complete. 383, powerglide
Old Nov 24th, 08, 8:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

Oh my God, get the tool! But before I had one I made one from a pair of duckbill vice grips for sheetmetal. I cut off one side so it wasn't so clumbsy and wham, spring tool. But I have to tell you, I have the "real" one now and it is WAY better.

Brian
Old Nov 24th, 08, 8:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric Shunn

I think I just drank a couple of beers and squeezes the spring REALLY REALLY HARD ith my fingers when I rebuilt my door hinges.

Thanks for the write up, Brian.

So, where did you take the family on vacation this year?
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

B and A Antiques
Old Nov 24th, 08, 9:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

This year Andy, LA, didn't even leave the state! Had a spectacular time in Disneyland though, rode EVERY single roller coaster with my 11 and 7 year olds. This is after my 11 year old has preached to me how he wouldn't ride one, he hated them. Not anymore!

Went to Petersons Automotive Museum, LaBrea tar pits, Hollywood Bl, Hollywood Bowl, Nixons Library, the works.

But check out the last time I went down there a month ago..

That's my son on the left playing guitar. The band is "Omnidemic" and they played at world famous Whiskey a Go Go. It was VERY cool! I was so proud I could have popped and took 126 photos.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: "Basics of Basics" Window regulator spring removal or installation.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.