GMPP BBC Serpentine Kit - GM Performance 19172805 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Nov 5th, 08, 3:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Default GMPP BBC Serpentine Kit - GM Performance 19172805

Anyone using this kit on their BBC A-body, Summit is showing the PS pump might hit the steering box, wondering if anyone has had this issue.

Looking to get a serpentine kit and this like like a nice setup for $700. Also looking at the march setup, but it's quite a bit more. The GMPP includes the water pump, PS pump, A/C, and brackets.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 5th, 08, 9:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny

Default Re: GMPP BBC Serpentine Kit - GM Performance 19172805

I have this setup brand new in the box and never used.I purchased it for my 70 Chevelle and never used it because I went to an electric water pump and no longer use the car on the street.
PM me if you are interested in the kit
Vinny
best run to date
9.830 @ 135 mph
1.324 Best 60'
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...slip-9729.html
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...LEATETOWN2.png

1969 Camaro SS 8.721 @ 156.61
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 5th, 08, 9:32 AM
Tech Team
Frank

I had one on my 67 big block El Camino. I couldnt fit the power steering pump with this kit or the original setup I had.
Old Nov 5th, 08, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67EC View Post
I had one on my 67 big block El Camino. I couldnt fit the power steering pump with this kit or the original setup I had.
Did it hit the steering box?
Old Nov 5th, 08, 2:13 PM
Tech Team
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396boy View Post
Did it hit the steering box?
Yes it did. I think there might be more room in the 68 and up engine bay though, so dont let me discourage you from trying. I went from a sbc with power steering to a bbc and couldnt get it to fit.
Old Nov 5th, 08, 2:32 PM
Tech Team

i talked to gmpp about this kit on my 70 monte carlo and they had installed one on their 70 project car with whatever big block they were using and was told a little grinding on the box was needed for pulley clearance,might have to make sure of whatever mounts you are using as they will determine how much grinding is needed. i had to modify my whole kit because of the gearbox being 4"forward,could not mount the ps pump whatsoever.
Old Nov 5th, 08, 2:34 PM
Tech Team

also was the previous part number i used,however shouldn't make a difference on the lit mounting itself.
Old Nov 5th, 08, 3:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via ICQ to godsend

Its also heavy as hell ;(
Old Nov 5th, 08, 8:34 PM
Tech Team
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsend View Post
Its also heavy as hell ;(
Yeah for sure, it is definitely one heavy son of a gun. Ive got my S400 hanging off the passenger side of it it is so heavy and stout.
Old Nov 5th, 08, 8:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

67's and older have a more narrow frame in the front putting the steering gear box too close to the engine block to use a saginaw style pump. That is why the remote style ps pump was used on these cars with a big block. Small block cars dont have a problem.
Old Oct 29th, 09, 10:58 AM
Team Member

Bump.

I might be using this kit on my 71 chevelle with a big block.

If I was getting the brackets only and needed to get the A/C, Alternator, P/S, what vehicle would I quote to the parts counter people?

What vehicle would I suggest to them for the remote resevoir Power steering setup? Is that power steering pump a smaller profile insuring that I would not contact the steering gearbox?

Can I get an aluminum reverse direction water pump from an aftermarket supplier?
Build: 540cid, twin turbo, 4L80e, ...wait for it...

Heart of Dixie Chevelle Club
Old Oct 29th, 09, 11:16 AM
Team Member

Also,
what are your thoughts on this:

http://www.kwikperf.com/bbc_serp_kit.html

It seems like the better option of the two if you can find the pieces and parts that they do not sell. I am looking into it now...
Build: 540cid, twin turbo, 4L80e, ...wait for it...

Heart of Dixie Chevelle Club
Old Oct 29th, 09, 6:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Mike View Post
Also,
what are your thoughts on this:

http://www.kwikperf.com/bbc_serp_kit.html
I had one of these put together and mounted on my 67 El Camino BBC, even adapted to use a Sanden compressor for the A/C. Had to put it together in a certain order to get the PS pump in and clear everything but it did fit and looked pretty good. I had the aluminum SBC brackets powder coated and it looked pretty trick. Unfortunately my computer took a crap and I lost the pics. The problem with a 66 or 67 is that the switch to a LWP results in not enough room for a fan. You might be able to get an electric fan setup in there, but a regular fan or flex is out. I think Don at Alumitech has a setup which will clear it now. I had a conversation with him at the time, and he was working on it but it wasn't yet available when I tried it (several years ago). The cars which came with a LWP should be no problem.
John

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...6593&members=1
Old Oct 29th, 09, 7:19 PM
Tech Team
Frank

Hey Mike I am Frank with the kit. I think the GMPP setup is just too heavy for a performance application, maybe any of the cheaper budget serpentine setups are too heavy. If you arent spinning your motor real high, probably arent with turbos you'll have more than enough power, maybe just re-evaluate staying with standard v-belt? I was all hot and bothered for the serpentine setups at one time and then once it was a pain I did a v-belt and it has worked fine.

Let me know I am totally willing to send it to you I just think it is too heavy. The weight difference is like going to aluminum heads on your BB and adding the weight of iron heads back on!!!
Old Oct 30th, 09, 7:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67EC View Post
Hey Mike I am Frank with the kit. I think the GMPP setup is just too heavy for a performance application, maybe any of the cheaper budget serpentine setups are too heavy. If you arent spinning your motor real high, probably arent with turbos you'll have more than enough power, maybe just re-evaluate staying with standard v-belt? I was all hot and bothered for the serpentine setups at one time and then once it was a pain I did a v-belt and it has worked fine.

Let me know I am totally willing to send it to you I just think it is too heavy. The weight difference is like going to aluminum heads on your BB and adding the weight of iron heads back on!!!
The weight thing is Huge! I bought a setup from my local Chevy dealer. The brackets in the one I got are cast steel (= HEAVY). Then add the problems of the PS pump hit the steering box, and fan clearance...I went back to V belts. Using the SBC setup puts ALL of the accesory drive hubs in the same plane and moves them in toward the WP. The result in 66-68 models (don't know about 64-65) with limited room between motor and radiator is that in addition to no room for a regular fan, the accessory drive pulleys interfere with the motor of electric fans, whether using one or 2. There are some pretty thin Spall units with high CFM that might work. SOmeone on here (TC) has a working setup - search the topic and you should find the thread. Include my name (phocksphyre) as I was involved in the discussion. This has been covered pretty well on a couple of occassions.
John
John

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...6593&members=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: GMPP BBC Serpentine Kit - GM Performance 19172805
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.