Convertible frame repair - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Convertibles Convertible Q & A's

Old Nov 4th, 08, 1:14 PM
Tech Team

Default Convertible frame repair

My '65 convertible has rust damage in the usual place just forward of the door posts. There is a soft spot on the bottom on each side. I discovered when jacking the car. There are also a small perforation on the inside of the frame, just large enough to stick my index finger in. Right now, there are no alignment problems or sagging, except when jacking.

Can this be repaired without lifting the body off of the frame? A local body and frame shop said they could do it. The body guy I normally use says no. He said that if they put the car on a lift to work on it, the frame will sag and welding will lock the sag in place, causing door alignment problems.

Anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 08, 5:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454
Default Re: Convertible frame repair

THe thing to do in this situation would be to get yourself some crash sheets of frame diagarms first. Once you have those, set the frame accordingly on jackstands so all the heights are on, then take the cross measurements to make sure it's not sagging or twisted. Once you've established all that, repair the frame Chances are as long as the car was never in an accident, those soft spots are not enough to allow the frame to flex or sag while it's resting on the suspension.
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
Old Nov 4th, 08, 8:54 PM
Gord

Hi- I would go to the trouble to take the body off the frame and have a look at the frame close up- my 67 frame was far worse than it initially appeared once I could really inspect it.If its repairable its a lot easier to do properly with the body removed.Gord
Old Nov 8th, 08, 2:25 PM
Tech Team

Thanks for the responses. The doors align well with nice even spaces. The front end alignment is fine.

Yeah, I know lifting the body off of the frame would be the best way to repair the frame. The frame seems solid enough to repair instead of hunting up a new one. The problem is that if I did a frame off, the car would likely never leave my garage again under its own power.
Old Nov 13th, 08, 4:02 PM
Jeff

Where can I get the crash sheets frame diagrams? I'm working on a 66 convertible with quite a bit of frame rot. I bought a rust free frame to use, but would like to repair and sell the other frame.
Thanks.
Old Nov 13th, 08, 4:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

If they do like a local shop here. They will put it on the frame machine and make sure all is correct before the weld in the patches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Convertibles      Current Topic: Convertible frame repair
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.