Fiero engine swap - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Oct 28th, 08, 10:05 AM
Team Member
Herbie

Default Fiero engine swap

Hey all,
My son has joined the Air Force. He blowed up his 86 Fiero GT 2.8 liter engine before he left. 4 speed. I want to fix it for him. Loud knock in the bottom end and NO power. Called a large junk yard down towards Atlanta that my wife's uncle owns. No 2.8 liters in stock and none to be found in their network.
Sooooo, what other engines can be crossed over to a Fiero? without too much modification? What years?
Any and all ideas welcomed. I would really like to get the car back on the road before he comes in on leave.
I know that an option is to pull the engine from the bottom of the car and see if it can be built. Just thought it would be faster to find a newer model engine to put in if that is a possibility.
Thanks,
Herbie

Herbie
'67 SS Chevelle 460"
XE284, 9.97:1, CK 2004R, 3.42 12bolt
Holley 770SA, RPM AirGap, 3200 stall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 08, 10:21 AM
Gold Founding Member
Sid

Default Re: Fiero engine swap

From what I recall, 3.1/3.4 are a direct bolt in replacement for a 2.8, but don't know if they ever came with a manual trans.

Have heard you could put a 4.6 NorthStar caddy engine in
"Until we, as citizens, become proud of the job our government is doing, no elected official should serve more than one term." TC (Gold) #174
Old Oct 28th, 08, 10:24 AM
Gold Founding Member
Sid

Some neat links:

http://www.v8archie.com/v8fiero.htm
http://dtcc.cz28.com/fiero/fmods.htm
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/engine...sion_info.html

If you could do the 3.8L supercharged Bonnie engine swap, that thing'd move!!!
"Until we, as citizens, become proud of the job our government is doing, no elected official should serve more than one term." TC (Gold) #174
Old Oct 28th, 08, 12:52 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Coleman View Post
From what I recall, 3.1/3.4 are a direct bolt in replacement for a 2.8, but don't know if they ever came with a manual trans.
Be careful here, the starter switched sides from RWD to FWD. The Fiero uses a FWD application. So while a RWD 3.1/3.4 will bolt in, you may need to redrill the starter mounting holes.

I put a SBC in mine using the V8Archie kit.
Old Oct 28th, 08, 1:21 PM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsherlin View Post
Hey all,
My son has joined the Air Force. He blowed up his 86 Fiero GT 2.8 liter engine before he left. 4 speed. I want to fix it for him. Loud knock in the bottom end and NO power. Called a large junk yard down towards Atlanta that my wife's uncle owns. No 2.8 liters in stock and none to be found in their network.
Sooooo, what other engines can be crossed over to a Fiero? without too much modification? What years?
Any and all ideas welcomed. I would really like to get the car back on the road before he comes in on leave.
I know that an option is to pull the engine from the bottom of the car and see if it can be built. Just thought it would be faster to find a newer model engine to put in if that is a possibility.
Thanks,
Herbie
Give me a call or shoot me a PM...I have both a remanufactured and a reconditioned in stock for that 2.8L engine. Also if you want to swap, checkout a company/club called the Fiero Owners Club, NORCAL...they do 350 swaps all the time with our engines.
http://brandons71chevelle.weebly.com/

ATK HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES
WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

Need an engine...shoot me a PM.

Facebook Fan Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/ATK...49964895082371
Old Oct 28th, 08, 1:53 PM
Team Member

http://www.thefierofactory.com/. every discarded fiero on the planet is here.
Old Oct 28th, 08, 2:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

the cheapest and easiest upgrade would be to get a 3.1 out of an early 90's Lumina or Grand Prix or something. swap the 2.8 induction and exhaust parts on it, and it falls right into place. maybe put the 3.1 injectors in it. might not be a speed demon- but it would be faster than the 2.8 and be about as reliable as you are gonna find.

-Hank Hill
Old Oct 28th, 08, 5:00 PM
Team Member
Herbie

Thanks alot guys. I looked at those websites you had, Sid. Very informative.
Greg, that SBC in a Fiero is awful tempting but the price is a little high with the conversion kit AND I love my 19 year old son too much for that right now. Maybe when he grows up a little more and understands about the right place at the right time.
Brandon, I called your company. They gave me a price on both engines. I am going to talk to my son about it. I appreciate it. So, you are the high performance guru there, huh?
Huff, appreciate it.
Derrick, I called the junk yard in Lawrenceville, GA and they show a lot of 3.1's in stock but the guy kept telling me they would not fit a Fiero because his COMPUTER said they were not a match. I told him I understood that but that I would take care of getting it in the car and fab of stuff. He said he couldn't sell me one? What? Told me to get my son another car instead because the Fiero was cheap and wasn't worth putting a motor in. What? I didn't ask for his "expert" advice.
Anyway, I appreciate the help.
The 3.8 and the 4.9 cadillac I couldn't find any around here.
I think the best bet at this time is to get the new reconditioned engine from ATK or go with a 3.1 liter (when I can get one bought).
Thanks again,

Herbie
'67 SS Chevelle 460"
XE284, 9.97:1, CK 2004R, 3.42 12bolt
Holley 770SA, RPM AirGap, 3200 stall
Old Oct 28th, 08, 5:10 PM
Brandon

Quote:
Thanks alot guys. I looked at those websites you had, Sid. Very informative.
Greg, that SBC in a Fiero is awful tempting but the price is a little high with the conversion kit AND I love my 19 year old son too much for that right now. Maybe when he grows up a little more and understands about the right place at the right time.
Brandon, I called your company. They gave me a price on both engines. I am going to talk to my son about it. I appreciate it. So, you are the high performance guru there, huh?
Huff, appreciate it.
Derrick, I called the junk yard in Lawrenceville, GA and they show a lot of 3.1's in stock but the guy kept telling me they would not fit a Fiero because his COMPUTER said they were not a match. I told him I understood that but that I would take care of getting it in the car and fab of stuff. He said he couldn't sell me one? What? Told me to get my son another car instead because the Fiero was cheap and wasn't worth putting a motor in. What? I didn't ask for his "expert" advice.
Anyway, I appreciate the help.
The 3.8 and the 4.9 cadillac I couldn't find any around here.
I think the best bet at this time is to get the new reconditioned engine from ATK or go with a 3.1 liter (when I can get one bought).
Thanks again,
Hey Herbie,
Im the High Performance Sales Manager...and a bit beyond.... PM me the cost they gave you...so I can make sure they gave you MY GOOD GUY COST
http://brandons71chevelle.weebly.com/

ATK HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES
WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

Need an engine...shoot me a PM.

Facebook Fan Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/ATK...49964895082371
Old Oct 28th, 08, 5:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
alfred

I've always thought Fiero;s were pretty cool

72 El camino-454, th400 stock
Old Oct 28th, 08, 5:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Quote:
Thanks again,
This guy must have quit his job at AutoZone!!!!!

The 3.1 is the 2.8, just 8mm longer stroke. Direct bolt in and all your accessories from your old engine will bolt on.
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
Old Oct 28th, 08, 5:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Go to car-part.com They have lots of them listed all around the country
Old Oct 28th, 08, 7:14 PM
Paul

I've seen two 454 Fiero's the year I was down at the Ozark Nat's years ago and they looked stock!

They came out of a KCMO Speed Shop years ago so please do a search.

And the next year or whenever, I saw a North Star Cad. install that looked the same way.

pdq67
Old Oct 28th, 08, 7:41 PM
Tech Team
T

Ahh, takes me back to my old Fiero days -- '88 5-spd with 150Hp quad4 that spun till 7200 and got 35mpg. I miss it..

Various things I think I remember:
- Newer 60 deg V6's (3.1/3.4) with aluminum heads have canted valve heads and "fast burn" chambers. They flow better, but I believe the Fiero intake/exhaust won't bolt up (?) Also, as a result of the different combustion chamber, the old pistons and new heads don't play well together.
- RWD 60 deg V6's have a different starter boss mounting, but can be machined to mount the FWD starter
- GM changed to internally balanced crank/flywheel in '87 along with an integral timing disc on the crank. I can't remember what the fiero used (distributor I think?) but you would need a new flywheel if you move to a newer engine (or get yours re-machined for neutral balance)

If I remember right, the "hot ticket" back in the day was the 3.4L iron-head engine from earlier 4th gen camaros and firebirds. The camaro engine needed the starter boss machined for the FWD starter to fit, but I think was "mostly" bolt-in. In theory, the GM HT3.4L engine that is a "drop-in" for S-10 pickups would also be a good choice...
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/041835.html

-
Old Oct 29th, 08, 8:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Supercharged 3800 engine and trans, swap the whole thing in, strap yourself in and hold on.
67 El Camino - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Fiero engine swap
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.