powerglide input shaft changeover - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Oct 20th, 08, 1:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Question powerglide input shaft changeover

I have a stock powerglide from a 63 impala it needs rebuilt never done one before so I need some advice and help.
First everyone tells me to put in a aftermarket th350 conversion shaft but how do you know witch one to get? Iam looking at this one but I dont know if I have 1.82 or 1.76 gears. here is a link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230302119154
also one guys says a stock overhaul kit will be fine another says I should get all kinds of hop up parts? here is the kit Iam looking at:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=390001619032
ok lastly I have an old trans tech powerglide shift kit should I install it or should I just do the stock overhaul? I have a 2800-3200 B&M converter for a th350 I could use if I change input shafts correct? this is going in my 2500# tube chassis vega with the 327 sbc and 5:43 gears I will be taking it to the track a few times each year. and I will be driving it to car shows and such on a regular basis. so please help here guys I got one guy saying with thi light a car and just a 327 the thing should be fine stock rebuilt and another telling me I got to stick at least $500 into it. HELP
thank you in advance.
Jeff
Advertisement

Old Oct 20th, 08, 2:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Default Re: powerglide input shaft changeover

You can pull the input shaft out and measure the length to find what gear ratio you have, but it really should come apart so you can change the stock cast hub in the high gear clutch pack. Not many other modifications other than flat clutch plates and steels with a shift kit and a littler higher line pressure are needed if your engine is not too extreme. You might want to get rid of the rear pump and governor too, but that's not absolutely necessary. Oh, 1.82 low has a 12 5/8" shaft, 1.76 low has a 12 7/8" shaft.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Powe...ide_shafts.asp

Here's an example of the shafts.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

Liberalism is the belief that "Evil Deserves a Fair Chance".

Last edited by dyno jonn; Oct 20th, 08 at 2:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 20th, 08, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

thank you Iam gonna pull it apart cause I need to rebuild it any way. its going behind my lil 307 Ill meassure the shaft once I get the trans.
Old Oct 22nd, 08, 3:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
You can pull the input shaft out and measure the length to find what gear ratio you have, but it really should come apart so you can change the stock cast hub in the high gear clutch pack. Not many other modifications other than flat clutch plates and steels with a shift kit and a littler higher line pressure are needed if your engine is not too extreme. You might want to get rid of the rear pump and governor too, but that's not absolutely necessary. Oh, 1.82 low has a 12 5/8" shaft, 1.76 low has a 12 7/8" shaft.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Powe...ide_shafts.asp

Here's an example of the shafts.
how do you pull it out everyone I talk to says just pull it out isnt there a clip or something that holds it in I have never rebuilt a glide and its been 11 years since I did a 200 and th350 one of each but that was so long ago I dont rember what to do I have the th350 book and th400 book but not on the glide the books I have are by Ron Sessions not sure if I spelled his name right .
Old Oct 22nd, 08, 2:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebchevelle View Post
How do you pull it out? Everyone I talk to says just pull it out. Isnt there a clip or something that holds it in?
There's no clip or anything that holds the input shaft in the tranny, just a brass bushing that usually stays on the input shaft. All you have to do is shake or wiggle the the input shaft up-and-down while you pull on it. You shouldn't have to use extreme pressure on it to get it to come out either.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

Old Oct 22nd, 08, 3:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
There's no clip or anything that holds the input shaft in the tranny, just a brass bushing that usually stays on the input shaft. All you have to do is shake or wiggle the the input shaft up-and-down while you pull on it. You shouldn't have to use extreme pressure on it to get it to come out either.
thank you Iam sure there will be more questions. as amater of fact one just came to mind the new th350-400 input shaft. I have been looking at the ones on the market and some say they work with both stock gear sets others say they only work with one or the other witch is the best to get? one company claims theres is better cause you can use either input gears incase you blow it up but says on one style the threads engague the converter more. so what is the best choice?
Old Oct 22nd, 08, 6:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebchevelle View Post
thank you Iam sure there will be more questions. as amater of fact one just came to mind the new th350-400 input shaft. I have been looking at the ones on the market and some say they work with both stock gear sets others say they only work with one or the other witch is the best to get? one company claims theres is better cause you can use either input gears incase you blow it up but says on one style the threads engague the converter more. so what is the best choice?
Sorry, I don't have any opinion on which one is better. We (us old fart drag racer guys) used to weld up originals and have new splines cut on them. That was long before you could buy them already made. I'm sure that a new one would be stronger than the ones we used to have made.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: powerglide input shaft changeover
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.