4L60E VSS and Mech. Speedo - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Oct 16th, 08, 9:28 PM
Tech Team
Derek

Default 4L60E VSS and Mech. Speedo

I'm putting an LT-1 with a 4L60E in my 64 Chevelle. I'm going to keep the stock speedometer. I have seen the kits where you can buy the tailhousing that accepts the VSS and has a place added to put a mechanical speedometer in. Has anyone ever done this on their own? I dont want to spend $400 or $500 to buy this kit. I'm thinking about trying to modify a 700R4 tailhousing with a mech. speedo to also hold the VSS. If anyone has ever done this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 17th, 08, 12:16 PM
Team Member
Jim

Default Re: 4L60E VSS and Mech. Speedo

I think that you might be better off spending the money on the kit. In order to run a mechanical speedometer & a speed sensor, you are going to have to have a speedometer gear & a speed rotor on the tail shaft, then the sensor would have to be spaced correctly from the speed rotor in order to acheive the correct gap. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it is going to require alot of modifications.
Old Oct 17th, 08, 1:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
TurboTom

i converted my 700r4 from mech to a electric. took out the mech sender and put in th eelectronic on. i f you pull the sender from your trans, does it have the teeth on the tail shaft? tom

i rebuild gm rears. www.12bolt.com
check out my ad in the team chevelle classifieds. http://www.chevelles.com/classifieds...?product=31328
pics
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/tlowe/
vids
http://www.youtube.com/telowe2000
Old Oct 19th, 08, 11:42 PM
Tech Team
Derek

Yes the VSS picks up from a wheel with "teeth" cut into it. I have found a kit where they sell a piece that has the VSS wheel and the mech. speedo gear made into it too. It is slid on the tailshaft, then held by 3 set screws. I'm trying to find out if I can purchase that piece seperately. If so, I believe I can use a 700R4 tail housing with mech. drive. Bore a hole opposite side of the mech speedo, and weld a fitting to the housing for the VSS. Does this sound like it would work? How did you convert yours? Did you keep it with Mech and the VSS as well?
Old Oct 25th, 08, 2:11 PM
Tech Team
Derek

Anyone do the same?
Old Oct 25th, 08, 4:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
TurboTom

i bet you can use a drive gear from a 700r4 with mechanical and a tailshaft housing from same. B&M makes a vss output that still allows use of the mech cable. tom

i rebuild gm rears. www.12bolt.com
check out my ad in the team chevelle classifieds. http://www.chevelles.com/classifieds...?product=31328
pics
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/tlowe/
vids
http://www.youtube.com/telowe2000
Old Oct 25th, 08, 10:22 PM
Tech Team

The problem you run into with use of a plastic gear on the out put shaft for a mechanical Speed-O on a 4L60E... is

GM deleted the holes in the out put shaft where the speed-O gear clip installs... when the 4L60E trans was introduced...I would check the out put shaft for the speed-O holes.

Often a clamp on device for the out put shaft is used for early mechanical speed-O on a later transmission.

Yelsorc is Crosley backwards.
Old Oct 26th, 08, 5:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

you can buy an add on box that takes the VSS signal and converts it to a mechanical signal to spin your stock speedo.
if you want to get crafty, you could use the speedo output on the ecm to run it, and be able to accurately calibrate your speedo at any GM dealer.

-Hank Hill
Old Jun 28th, 09, 4:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
LSx Swap Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
you can buy an add on box that takes the VSS signal and converts it to a mechanical signal to spin your stock speedo.
Any brand names or links?

-'74 K5 2wd Blazer 'Ghost': 6.0 LQ4/4L80e Swap, BW S474 T6 Turbo, Custom Turbo Cam, 690/600 rwhp/tq

-'08 Trailblazer SS, Factory 400HP LS2, Daily-Driver
-'70 Chevelle Wagon (LSx Swap Project Car)
-'75 Datsun Z 'LSZ': 6.0 LQ4/4L60e Swap, 11 Sec Daily-Driver (SOLD)
-'75 Monza: Factory 350/350 Car, 5.3/Turbo Swap In-Progress
Old Jun 28th, 09, 7:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

i used the Abbott converter box on my 4l80e for my 69 speedometer-they have them on ebay, but i think you can order direct cheaper-they give you a short cable, goes from your speedometer to the box, and then wires down to the sensor on your trans-it has little switches that you flip based on rear, tire size, etc-you fig out tire rotations per mile
i have a compushift controller for the trans to control it, and the display has a built in speedometer in it, and after setting up everything, it is almost exact with my mech one, so they are pretty close
the Abbott box has a little noise, cause the little motor is spinning, but not bad
i think the Abbott box was $310
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: 4L60E VSS and Mech. Speedo
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.