Induced timing retard @ top end - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Dec 22nd, 04, 3:07 PM
Tech Team

I recently purchased a MSD Digital 6 ignition box which has the ability to retard the timing. I don't run NOX but the possibility of retarding the timing @ top RPM interests me. I could use the RPM signal from my delay box to send a signal @the upper end of the RPM curve to retard the timing. Is there anything to gain here?? Does anybody have experience with doing this ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 22nd, 04, 5:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Use ta do the same thing by shutting down one set of points in a dual point distributor. It was worth about 7-8 hundredths and about 1 1/2 mph on a low 10 second 125 mph D/Altered car.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 22nd, 04, 5:51 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to chevy_69_chevelle
Was thinking about using the MSD 8982 2step retard in conjunction with my MSD 6AL box. Any one used that box before?

Dyno John,

I currently am running 39 total advance, and if I end up using the box running 42 total and then retarding it at the top end..how much retard is good to start with?
Old Dec 22nd, 04, 6:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

As I recall we would get about 4 degrees retard. It depended on how the points were adjusted. We would drop the timing back when we hit 4th gear. It was definitly worth doing.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
Old Dec 22nd, 04, 10:15 PM
Tech Team

How does retarding the timing help? Can someone explain this to me?
Old Dec 22nd, 04, 11:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

When the car goes into high gear the gear spread from the previous gear is usually more than the between the others so the rpm drop on the shift is greater, also the engine is under more of a load at that point and needs to have some timing pulled out- at least that's the way I understand it. Maybe someone will correct me. It's called a high speed retard not high rpm retard.
Old Dec 23rd, 04, 11:05 AM
Tech Team

Baddbob, good point.So using an RPM switch may not be the best idea as I may want to switch it when I enter 3rd gear. Has anyone set one of these up other than for Nitros?????
Old Dec 23rd, 04, 11:08 AM
Gold Founding Member

Not that anyone cares, but the OLD GM electronic ignition box from the '60's would pull out one degree for every 1000 RPM.
Old Dec 23rd, 04, 11:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

Quote:
Originally posted by Fried_Guy:
How does retarding the timing help? Can someone explain this to me?
It may have more to do with the rate of acceleration in high gear (slower) and preventing detonation (which will rob power). I think my car spends ~7 seconds in high gear on a mid 10 second pass That only leaves 3.5 seconds for 1st and 2nd, so the rate of acceleration is proportional to the gearing. The longer the engine stays at a higher RPM (more load) the more heat it will build.
Old Dec 26th, 04, 10:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

It's worth playing with. I did the same thing years ago on a mid 10 sec Nova with tunnel ram 396 and 4 speed. Had to use TONS of timing to get it to have any throttle response at all with cam. intake. 660's and rectangular port heads. I used a toggle switch on the second set of points to start retard just after the 2-3 shift and it really liked it!

JIM

9.90@141.40

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=Jim3.mp4

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=Jim4.mp4

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
Old Dec 27th, 04, 4:23 AM
Tech Team

Throw it on a toggle switch, by your shifter and start playing with it at the track making no other adjustments at all.Record your data and let me know cause i have a digital 6 and bought it for the same reason...the 2 RPM limiters and the top end retard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Induced timing retard @ top end
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.