brake line routing - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Sep 6th, 08, 4:07 PM
Matt

Default brake line routing

I purchased pre-bent brake lines for my 1969 el camino and am trying to install them but they dont seem to follow the frame lines correctly. Should pre-bent lines basically bolt right up or do they still need some tweaking to them. And does any one have a picture of their frame with the lines attatched so i can see how there actually supposed to sit.

thanks
-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 6th, 08, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454
Default Re: brake line routing

They shold follow the general contour of the frame, but they will need some tweaking.
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
Old Sep 6th, 08, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Matt. I had to "tweek" my "pre-bent" brake lines pretty good to get them to fit to my liking...
The biggest problem was at the point where the frame bends out to the center rail (started to bend too soon, needed to straighten, then rebend), and where it comes off the frame rail and connects to the cross member over the axle (ended up pointing down instead of at the C-member).
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
Old Sep 9th, 08, 4:53 PM
Matt

alright.. so I am still going to have to do some bending. Does anyone have a picture or their frame with the lines so I know how it should run?
thanks
Old Sep 9th, 08, 5:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Matt. Start by installing the block on the frame. (directly under the master cylinder) then lay out your lines. you will have two that run down from the master to the block. One short front (drivers side) one long front (pass. side and the one to the rear. You will also have a very short line that goes from the master to the (can't remember its name) little round block mounted under the master. Once you lay them out, You will see how they run.
Heres a pic of my master. Disregard the line lock. The little line runs from where the LL line comes out of the master to where the other LL line reconnects. Let me know if you need more pix and I'll run outside and get what you need.
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
Old Sep 12th, 08, 8:36 PM
Matt

Do you happen to have any pictures of where the lines connect to the block? Does the line that runs across the frame under the motor go to the block, or is supposed to go up to the booster? how its on mine it seems like it goes up to the booster.

Don't pay attention to the line on the left rail, it was backwards I switched that around.
Old Sep 13th, 08, 12:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
They shold follow the general contour of the frame, but they will need some tweaking.
Same basic issue on a 66, mine jumps too high over the right frame rail and not far out enough to land on the hose fitting. ( 2 bends to correct )

Is the stainless soft enough to work slowly with a 2" pipe nipple?
Old Sep 16th, 08, 5:37 PM
Matt

I have a tubing bender to bend the lines, I just need to know exactly where to bend them if anyone has a picture of their frame with the lines attached?
thanks
Old Sep 16th, 08, 11:29 PM
Matt

I got the proportioning valve, now can anyone show me where each of the lines are supposed to connect to on this?

thanks
Old Sep 16th, 08, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

The rubber plug points to the front of the car.
Rear line "out" is opposite end.
Rear master res to the port left of the brake warning sensor.
Front res to the port on the right.

The lil rubber plug hole should go to the right front
just above it---left front

(That is how my 59 is plumbed)

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done On the street now!!!
65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new

Last edited by Bryan59EC; Sep 16th, 08 at 11:49 PM. Reason: sidenote
Old Sep 17th, 08, 3:08 PM
Matt

the fitting on my rear brake line is smaller than the hole on the rear of the valve...is there an adapter that I can get to make it fit or did i some how get the wrong line (which is a prebent one) or valve? And is anything supposed to hook up to the brake warning sensor?
Old Sep 23rd, 08, 6:11 PM
Matt

Someone must have a picture of their brake lines setup on their frame... anyone?
also is this proportioning valve supposed to mount on the frame or should it be under the booster? I have seen it both ways and am very confused by this. most of my lines seem bent to go to the valve on the frame but then I would also need to get lines to run up to the booster. the line that runs across the front of frame seems like it should go right to the booster though.
any help or pictures would be really appreciated as I'm stuck and cannot figure this out
thanks
Old Sep 23rd, 08, 6:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69elcoguy View Post
Someone must have a picture of their brake lines setup on their frame... anyone?
also is this proportioning valve supposed to mount on the frame or should it be under the booster? I have seen it both ways and am very confused by this. most of my lines seem bent to go to the valve on the frame but then I would also need to get lines to run up to the booster. the line that runs across the front of frame seems like it should go right to the booster though.
any help or pictures would be really appreciated as I'm stuck and cannot figure this out
thanks
Matt. If no one else post the pix first. I will go out and get some pic's for you right after I eat Dinner. What pix do you need?
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

Old Sep 23rd, 08, 7:09 PM
Matt

basically how the lines all connect at the valve because none of the lines I have go to the same spot so I need to see what needs to be bent where, and whether the lines should all meet somewhere on the frame or up near the booster.
thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 08, 7:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Here ya go matt. Sorry it took so long. Photobucket decided to do site maintenance right after I uploaded them there. Your valve looks different. Mine is original. I just cleaned it up. You can even see where the clutch rod wore and rubbed it.

EDIT; Heres the photobucket link. There are a couple other angles. http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/c...8994/Assembly/
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

Last edited by furball8994; Sep 23rd, 08 at 7:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: brake line routing
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.