Kick Panel Speaker Mounting - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

Old Aug 13th, 08, 11:16 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Default Kick Panel Speaker Mounting

i want to add kick panel speakers on my A/C equipped 70 Chevelle. I am curious how to mount them. Sincen my factory kick panels are thin flimsy plastic do I assume the speakers would mount to the metal structure in that area? If i were pushing some serious wattage to the speakers and they were mounted to the kick panels I would think it would shake/vibrate a lot. I do not necessarily want to buy the aftermarket panels with the bulged out appearance. It looks like it would interfere with my parking brake (I have a 5 speed). What is the process for mounting some decent speakers down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 08, 9:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Roger

Default Re: Kick Panel Speaker Mounting

I have a 67 with A/C and I used the factory kick panels w/ the factory kick panel grills and then used upgrade after market speakers. Problem there was the size of the magnets. The stock speakers have a small magnet and are shallow so they fit. Your trick after market speakers will have large magnets that bang right into the metal cowl structure. You may have to cut a large hole in the metal or run a stock size speaker. I sent the speaker mounting screws into the metal structure. They don't sound as good as expected either without a cabinet or speaker inclosure.
Old Aug 14th, 08, 4:46 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Does anyone make an enclosure for mounting in the kick panel or should I just move them to another location?
Old Aug 14th, 08, 5:19 PM
Tech Team
Dave

I bought an aftermarket set of kick panels with places for speakers on EBay. they were for my 69 with a/c. they do interfere with the parking brake but we modified that to work.The OEM panels are too thin to use. You would have to cut into steel side panels to fit speakers, not cool.
I put a set into the doors of my 67 camaro 30 years ago but had to cut panels and door shell. They used to use a 5" hole saw to install speakers back then.
350/350th
Old Aug 14th, 08, 5:47 PM
Tech Team
Brian

http://taymanelectrical.samsbiz.com/...gory_id%3D8ho4

These work great - a bit stiffer than the original panels. The only thing is they are very glossy and shiny. I sprayed them with SEM Landau black and they look perfect now... sound great, no buzzes.
Old Aug 14th, 08, 5:58 PM
Tech Team
Bill

I've seen those Custom Autosound pieces. I just need to find them without the speakers.
Old Aug 14th, 08, 7:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill70 View Post
I've seen those Custom Autosound pieces. I just need to find them without the speakers.

I think these (from tayman) are the same as the Custom Autosound... I bought some for my 70 w a/c, but haven't installed them yet... I want to pick my own speakers...

http://taymanelectrical.samsbiz.com/...gory_id%3D8ho4
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Aug 14th, 08, 8:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

I used my factory non AC panels to mount some 6" speakers and they seem to work fine. I used the little clips that go over the edge of the hole for the screws to go into. I had to clearance the metal behind the panel slightly for the speaker to fit but it seemed to work well.
If you are leaning towards the aftermarket you could always try the originals and if you don't like them buy the others, If you like them you will save some $

LK

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...7/DSCF9178.jpg

70 (SOLD)
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/DSCF9111.jpg

Sea Ray
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/DSCF6826.jpg
Old Aug 14th, 08, 9:45 PM
Tech Team
Scott

Tayman sells the Custom Autosound panels but he sells them with or without the speakers. That's where I got mine. On my 70 I had to remove part of the metal bracing to clear the magnet. Slim style speakers would fit better but won't handle the power like my Infinity Kappa's.

Believe me, I tried every which way but there just isn't much room to play with. I lined the back of mine with Dynamat as well as the surrounding metal and then stuffed in baffle fabric (pillow stuffing) before mounting the speakers. No problems with vibration at high volume.

Next time tho, I'm gonna go with components and put the tweet up in the door panel. My Tacoma has this set-up from the factory and I really like it. A small sub or mid down low and the tweet up high. It's hard to find a nice balance without fading too much power to the front channel. Even with my 4way 500w amp it's still not what I'd
hoped for. Bottom line is that all those legs muffle some of the sound.
Old Aug 14th, 08, 9:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Another satisfied customer of Tayman Electrical. I ordered a set without speakers and they were a perfect fit. I installed a pretty thick speaker (Infinity) and had to remove the horizontal metal strip behind the panel. A shallow speaker would work without cutting.

I have a few pictures on my web page: http://home.comcast.net/~dcabral99/stereo.htm

Dave
Old Mar 30th, 13, 3:00 AM
Joe

anyone try to stuff some JL components down there yet ?
Old Mar 31st, 13, 11:39 AM
Tech Team
Bobby

I read in the other thread on kicks that they were way too shiny So the next question is "are they" ???
NSF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Interiors      Current Topic: Kick Panel Speaker Mounting
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.