painting in humid weather - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Aug 12th, 08, 1:17 AM

Default painting in humid weather

Hey everyone. I'm a few weeks off from painting my 71. I'll be using BC/CC. I live in east texas and am worried about the humidity which can get really high. My buddy told me I should wait until about October to paint my car but I was wondering if it's safe to paint my car sooner if I use a different reducer. A slower reducer would be more appropriate correct?

I searched the forums and found some info on this but not enough to where I felt good about making a decision. I'm fairly new at this. Any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 12th, 08, 8:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Roger

Default Re: painting in humid weather

Your BC/CC uses a catalysis to cure the paint so the humidity is not as much of a problem as with the older air drying paints. It's always humid in Texas and we paint cars year round here so I wouldn't wait until fall myself.
Old Aug 12th, 08, 9:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
TC

most paints reccommend the humitdy be below 85%. The metal itself starts getting wet above that. Buy a gage and see where its at.
Old Aug 12th, 08, 1:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric Shunn

I would think the only issue would be the amount of condensation on the panels, plus any moisture in the compressed air. I would make sure you have several dryers in your air line. I think Rubadub has some pictures of his setup on his site.
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

B and A Antiques
Old Aug 12th, 08, 2:40 PM

ok thanks for the advice guys. I'll go get myself a guage for the humidity, and I will have 4 dryers from the compressor to paint gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: painting in humid weather
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.