Trans Brake turbo 350? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Aug 5th, 08, 10:46 AM
Tech Team

Default Trans Brake turbo 350?

I have a turbo 350 in my 70 chevelle and I had the guy who built the tranny beef it up. Im not very smart when it comes to tranny's but I do remember him saying he put extra clutches in it and im sure he did some other things to make it stronger. Anyway will it hold up if we have a tranny brake installed in it? I have a 350 sbc it runs 11.40's. Full interior all steel other then hood. Or should we go to a turbo 400? Anybody have a turbo 350 or 400 with a trans brake for sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 5th, 08, 11:27 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Default Re: Trans Brake turbo 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc500hpchevelle View Post
I have a turbo 350 in my 70 chevelle and I had the guy who built the tranny beef it up. Im not very smart when it comes to tranny's but I do remember him saying he put extra clutches in it and im sure he did some other things to make it stronger. Anyway will it hold up if we have a tranny brake installed in it? I have a 350 sbc it runs 11.40's. Full interior all steel other then hood. Or should we go to a turbo 400? Anybody have a turbo 350 or 400 with a trans brake for sale?
We do many th350 and 400 with breaks. The weak link in a th350 is the sprag. That heavy of a car I would be looking to do a th400 then it will be ready for more hp down the road.

Tom

Proud Dad of a US Marine

www.3vperformance.com
Old Aug 5th, 08, 11:32 AM
Tech Team

Is there anything you can do with the sprag to make it stronger?
Old Aug 5th, 08, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

I don't recommend a TH350 with a transbrake.
It doesn't have the internal support of a TH400 and the brake stresses the sun gear bushings, sun shell.
Plenty of people run them, but it will be a frequent maintenance program for the average racer when the 400 wouldn't.

There are 36 element sprag and drum setups for the TH350. I have these and use them often in Th350 builds. It really fixes the weak link in the Th350 but still doesn't do anything for t-brake use.
Old Aug 5th, 08, 12:21 PM
Banned
Butch

Quote:
here is a launch photo of my car with a TH400 with a JW transbrake with an ATI Treemaster converter. No issues with it what so ever

Old Aug 5th, 08, 1:47 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Is there anything you can do with the sprag to make it stronger?

The fix we use is the Ford AOD upgrade. Way stronger then the 36 element sprag with bigger clutches.

Proud Dad of a US Marine

www.3vperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Trans Brake turbo 350?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.