Best way to ship an engine? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Jul 20th, 08, 2:25 AM
Tech Team
Robert

Default Best way to ship an engine?

What's the best way to ship an engine cross country? A guy I know in California has an LS5 that he's decided he's not going to use since he sold the car he was going to put it in. Anyone know what's the best, cheapes way to ship it cross country? I looked at Forward Air but they want over $500 to ship it in one of their containers and over $400 if he crates it himself. Anyone here ever try to ship something like this and who should I look into trying to get this shipped to me?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 20th, 08, 2:44 AM
Administrator
Jeff

Default Re: Best way to ship an engine?

You need to find some one who does shipping via truck freight that has a regular account. That is about the only way I have seen good rates for truck freight shipping. Then wrap the engine in shrink wrap and cardboard. Then build a wood box and strap it to a pallet. Lastly IMO unless the engine is a super outrageous deal, you are better off getting one more local to you. (PS You should add your location to your profile so folks can better help that way)
Good Luck.

The TC Search >> HOW-TO

TC photo >> HOW-TO

Last edited by JWA; Jul 20th, 08 at 5:24 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 08, 2:54 AM
Tech Team
Robert

Thumbs up Re: Best way to ship an engine?

Updated my profile. It's a good deal on the motor and more importantly, it is the correct code motor for my car. Finding a good, complete, rebuildable, correct LS5 for a reasonable price is not an easy thing to get a hold of anymore. That's the only reason I'm considering it in the first place. Keep the ideas coming!!
Old Jul 20th, 08, 3:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

If you don't ship it and somebody just hauls it for you, we use a fairly wide old racing slick, just set the engine on that and chain it down and cover it with plastic if its in the back of a pickup.

If you have some extra time to spend on the computer, you could maybe post something on some of the car forums like give some body a 100 bucks or so if there coming your way.

I have seen that posted a couple of times.

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com
Old Jul 20th, 08, 8:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to 69 Daytona Yellow 3 Speed

How about him going to the Chevy dealer and maybe they have a crate box they come in...Just a thought might make it easier on him to start.

33 Years of ownership, thanks dad !
Im real, my car is real and i have a tag line i dont hide nothing.
My 1969 Mellow Daytona Yellow SS396, 3 Speed, Bench Seat, Original Paint "Survivor".
Picture of "Crying 96" Tears Chevelle
Another Pic of "96 Tears" Chevelle
Press 1 for English
Press 2 for Deportation
Old Jul 20th, 08, 8:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Call Yellow Freight and set up an account, it's easy to do. Then call and ask for a quote to ship the engine under a " Class 85 " shipping which is a used auto part. If the seller can drop off at their terminal and you can pick up at your end instead of having them deliver it, the price should be reasonable. If you just call them you would probably get a price of say 800. With an account it's about 45% of that number or around 375.00 It makes a big difference with an account. P.S. what Dean said, strapped to a pallet and make sure you have the correct size and weight for the quote when calling.
70 Chevelle L78 4 Speed LeMans Blue
AACA 1st Place National Junior Award
AACA 1st Place National Senior Award
AACA 1st Place Grand National Award

Flint 70 Chevelle LS6 4 Spd 4.10 Posi in the shop!!http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/Flint%20LS6/

Very Special 21K mile, 70SS Restored by Konrad Hooper
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/Kansas%2070/

Last edited by 704EVER; Jul 20th, 08 at 9:45 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 08, 9:16 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

PM sent...
A friend of mine, and fellow TC member "USFATL" is a freight broker here in Atlanta. I'm quite sure he can help. Plus, he's local to us and a car guy.
Drop Steve an email ...
And if you need help transporting this engine from the shipping terminal when it arrives, I've got a truck.

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
Old Jul 20th, 08, 9:23 AM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Best way to ship an engine?
By Truck Freight, strapped to a pallet.

I seriously doubt that you'll find any better deal than what you mentioned.

IF, I cared about the "nnumbers correct" thing, I would just consider that part of the good deal myself, depending on how bad I wanted a "numbers correct motor"

Gold member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club
Old Jul 20th, 08, 12:09 PM
Tech Team

I use Freightquote.com They are brokers they find you the cheapest way of shipping, I have used them a lot and never seem to have a problem when I ship engine Blocks
Old Jul 20th, 08, 6:17 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Thumbs up Re: Best way to ship an engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpete67 View Post
I use Freightquote.com They are brokers they find you the cheapest way of shipping, I have used them a lot and never seem to have a problem when I ship engine Blocks

I tried freightquote.com but it said it didn't have any shippers that match my requirements or something like that. Just my luck - LOL. Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to look into some of these tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
Old Jul 20th, 08, 6:22 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
PM sent...
A friend of mine, and fellow TC member "USFATL" is a freight broker here in Atlanta. I'm quite sure he can help. Plus, he's local to us and a car guy.
Drop Steve an email ...
And if you need help transporting this engine from the shipping terminal when it arrives, I've got a truck.
Thanks Bill. I'll drop him an email and see what he can come up with. The guy that has the engine can ship it from his business on a standard pallet. He has a lift truck so that's not as problem. I have a fork lift attachment on my tractor or I also have a buddy that has a business it can be shipped to just down the road from me. I don't mind picking it up from the closest shipping terminal either. Thanks for the offer of the truck though!!
Old Jul 20th, 08, 6:53 PM
Tech Team
KRIS

i bough an engine about this time last year off ebay they charged me 250 next day air from california i went to the aiport to the warehouse facility and picked it up you shoould go to your local airport shipping facility and talk to some of the companies there because there are a bunch of no name shipping companies around the airport that do it cheap i had no problems with my shipment
Old Jul 21st, 08, 3:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Have a look here, you might luck out

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl
Old Jul 21st, 08, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

$400 +/- to ship a 700 lb lump 2,000 miles is reasonable. Fuel and transportation costs have increased - which I'm sure you are aware.

Is the partial vin on this engine close enough to yours that it can be changed to match?

Thomas
Old Aug 26th, 08, 6:19 PM

We ship engines all over the place as we are a small retail engine shop. We always use www.shipanengine.com.

They seem to be the cheapest every time, there customer service is pretty good, and the get the job done! We go on there mutiple times a day and ask for quotes via the website and then order via e-mail. Simple and they are good....Save couple hundred bucks per shipment compared to trying to use Estes or UPS or Fedex...give them a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: Best way to ship an engine?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.