434 SBC heads? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jun 23rd, 08, 3:32 PM
Tech Team

Default 434 SBC heads?

I dont know a thing about these. Can someone tell me if this is a decent head for a mild small block?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 23rd, 08, 4:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: 434 SBC heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-A rider View Post
I dont know a thing about these. Can someone tell me if this is a decent head for a mild small block?
dont see a link ?
Old Jun 23rd, 08, 4:52 PM
Tech Team

Ok to be more specific. I have a 350 stock rebuild with dished cast 4 valve relief pistons, a mild hydraulic flat tappet cam and 76cc smog heads producing what I would gather is 8:1 compression. This is in a 70 Chevelle convertible I plan to use once again as a daily driver. The motor has maybe 40K on the rebuild. As I resurrect this car Im thinking I should put on some better heads to raise my compression ratio for the purpose of creating a more efficient motor and probably yeild a litt le more power while Im at it.

I was planning on Vortec but best Ive found it $550, then I need self aligning rockers, a new intake, new vavle covers and while Im at it push rods.

My other option is a Chevrolet 305 style head with a 65cc combustion chamber.

Aerohead has these heads which are resurfaced, new 2.02/1.60 or 1.94/1.50 SS vavles, 3 angle valve job, new springs etc etc. I was told by Aerohead they are casting 434 which is the same as most 305 heads but a heavier stronger head that are not prone to cracking like most 305 heads. This should put me at a much better compression ratio and the price for the heads is $399 for the pair no core required. I dont know a thing about these heads but know pretty much anything is gonna be better than my 76cc smoggers.

So any suggestions and or insight on these 434 castings?
Old Jun 23rd, 08, 5:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Oh ok CASTING # 434 , i thought you were reffering too cubic inch (434) .
Well i dont know anything about that casting , MY opinion is a set of vortecs (you already know this ) . I recently ported a set and was really impressed with the port shape as stock ! When i was done the ports looked like a nice 200cc race head !
My second option would be the 041 ,186, 492 casting ,an oldie but goodie . Either of these heads will bump compression ,and that will be a big bonus!
Old Jun 23rd, 08, 5:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

those were smogger heads too... 75-79 era. 60cc chambers came on the 305 and 262 engines. I bet the ports are not that great... I'd save my money for some better heads but thats just me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: 434 SBC heads?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.