4 corner idle adjustment - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jun 23rd, 08, 8:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robb

Default 4 corner idle adjustment

Could some of you please open some discussion on the best way to do this. I have heard so many different methods. I would like to find the best way and learn & stick with it.Search didnt turn up much. Examples of conflicting methods. I know it may be boring to some, but it could help some out.

Secondaries same as primary ?
All 4 equal ?
adjust 1 at a time or all 4 ?
Highest Idle + 1/8 turn rich/ highest vaccum/dont use vac at all ?

My latest carb is a Holley 950 HP, has holes drilled in throttle plates, motor is a 468 with rough idle about 10 " Vac.
You get the picture by now.Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 23rd, 08, 8:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robb

Default Re: 4 corner idle adjustment

Here are 2 ways I have used, I used method 2 on Friday.As you turn only 1 screw it is easy to feel the change, but then turning the other 3 to match seems like a big change each time ????

Metod 1
turn the rear idle screws in to stop, then out about 1/8 turn. turn the front in to stop, then out about 1.5 turns. start it up, let it warm up good, adjust the fronts to lean best (highest vacuum) plus 1/8 turn out, you should be real close.

Method 2
with the car warm at idle and the screws 1 1/2 turns out turn all 4 or 2 if the rear doesnt have mix. screws in a 1/4 turn . if it idles faster go another 1/4 if it slows go out until you find the highest idle. reset your idle and check again.
Old Jun 23rd, 08, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robb

Ttt
Old Jun 24th, 08, 1:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper72 View Post
Could some of you please open some discussion on the best way to do this. I have heard so many different methods. I would like to find the best way and learn & stick with it.Search didnt turn up much. Examples of conflicting methods. I know it may be boring to some, but it could help some out.

Secondaries same as primary ?
All 4 equal ?
adjust 1 at a time or all 4 ?
Highest Idle + 1/8 turn rich/ highest vaccum/dont use vac at all ?

My latest carb is a Holley 950 HP, has holes drilled in throttle plates, motor is a 468 with rough idle about 10 " Vac.
You get the picture by now.Thanks for any help.

It depends on idle rpm, engine characteristics, and the carburetor's calibration. With a lot of the "out the box" Holley and Holley type carbs, it's almost impossible to correctly use the 4-corner idle system without it being on top a ProStock engine. They are way too rich.

IMO, if the idle is under 1000 rpm, your method 1 works pretty good with stock calibration. If the idle is 1000 or above, I start with all 4 one turn out and adjust each 1/16" turn for best/smoothest idle.
Old Jun 24th, 08, 7:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Ray, how about just closing the rear mixtures altogether and just running off the front.

Every 4 corner job I did, I always seem to run the rear mixtures in moreso than the front. Keeping the rears even with the front made it way too rich.
Old Jun 24th, 08, 11:51 AM
Tech Team
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Ray, how about just closing the rear mixtures altogether and just running off the front.

Every 4 corner job I did, I always seem to run the rear mixtures in moreso than the front. Keeping the rears even with the front made it way too rich.
i was wondering the same thing. I understand how the 4 corner idle is needed for real wild motors, but for a street motor what is the purpose? All I can see it doing is help distribution of idle fuel and keep the fuel in the secondary fuel bowl from becoming stagnant....and thats only if the IFR's are small enough so its not too rich
Old Jun 24th, 08, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:

then what the point of having a 4-corner idle carb?
4-corner really help idle!
62 Nova
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2
69 chevelle 350, 200-4R 411s 12.31@110.6 (sold)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/709320
Old Jun 24th, 08, 2:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RS502 View Post
then what the point of having a 4-corner idle carb?
4-corner really help idle!
I think personally that 90% of the cars out there dont need it, and its an unecessary hassle. I think your motor has to be pretty darn radical to need it.
Old Jun 24th, 08, 3:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robb

I would really like to learn more about this, any suggestions?I have a book by Dave Emanuel, it seems to be useless for anything except parts reference.

My car idles right around 1000 rpm in P. Can most agree you want to be about 1/8 turn richer than highest Vaccum on the front screws ?
Old Jun 24th, 08, 3:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Frank

I have also spent way too much time trying to figure those 4 corners out.
I am wondering...Those of you that do have your idle mixture "Correct", do you ever really lose that "Running too rich smell" out the exhaust?
TC #3444
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...5/DSCN0173.jpg
Old Jun 30th, 08, 3:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robb

Any body out there that wants to share some more info ?
Old Jun 30th, 08, 5:17 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper72 View Post
Any body out there that wants to share some more info ?
I'd like to know also, I have a used 950HP that is going on my car soon. I finally got my 850VS tuned pretty good so I figure it's time to mess with the 950 and see what performs better. Hopefully someone with expert knowledge will chime in.

P.S. Anybody know what the factory specs are for the 950HP in regards to idle screws and throttle blades?
'70 Malibu, 454 w/Brodix Ovals, TH400 w/10" ATI, 12 bolt with 4:11's
'98 Camaro, M6, LS6 Intake, MTI lid, TB bypass, Ported Maf & TB, Pacesetter Headers, Catted Y, Texas Rumbler Catback, B&M shifter, FRA, !EGR
Old Jun 30th, 08, 6:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Robb, only thing you can do is what Holley suggests: keep all screws equal, looking for highest vac and rpm. Then, I go 1/8 turn each corner looking to really fine-tune everything. Then you may find that the rear screws like to be closed a little moreso than the front. When I had a QuickFuel carb, they said it was OK to run all the screws a little different.

I drive the car around for a long trip, then come back to the garage to make the adjustments. You want the carb and intake as HOT as possible, as this is the true operating temp. Simply letting the car warm up to operating temp is not good - I use that for ball-parking the settings. I connect one of them tach/dwell meters, and keep an eye on it. You would be suprised how an 1/8 of a turn moves the tach, where my factory tach and vac guage dont show that.
Old Jun 30th, 08, 11:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ray

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkostoj View Post
i was wondering the same thing. I understand how the 4 corner idle is needed for real wild motors, but for a street motor what is the purpose? All I can see it doing is help distribution of idle fuel and keep the fuel in the secondary fuel bowl from becoming stagnant....and thats only if the IFR's are small enough so its not too rich

4-corner idle works excellent if you tune it to the engine. My 4779 750's have 4-corner idle and the mix screws are 1.25 turns out each. The air bleeds and IFR's are not stock though. Most mild engines run better with a 2-corner idle circuit. 4-corner idle is too rich for them. If you try to use a 4-corner idle carb on a mild engine, you end up using very little of the mix screws to tame the A/F idle quality. Then when you drop from park to drive there is a big RPM drop (200+) I don't like the RPM drop. After I tune an engine it shouldn't have no more than a 50 rpm drop between park and drive. Anything more needs more tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flink69SS View Post
I have also spent way too much time trying to figure those 4 corners out.
I am wondering...Those of you that do have your idle mixture "Correct", do you ever really lose that "Running too rich smell" out the exhaust?

Unless you add a cat. and air pump, the exhaust will stink. Bigger the cam, worse it stinks.
Old Jul 1st, 08, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave 383 now

Ok I have used a couple of methods. My AED 750 HO I had on my 383 it was a four corner. I try to keep all 4 screws out all the same number of turns. So I start them all at like 1 1/2 turns out. Warm it up and start at the drivers side front corner turn it in til you hear it sputter a bit then go to the passenger side front, then passenger side rear then back to the drivers side rear. Hopefully when you are done all four screws should be out the same number of turns. If you can turn the rear screws all the way in and nothing happens the front screws are doing all the work. So start all over with the screws all out 1 turn then try again. If you get in a situation like all four screws are only out like less than a 1/2 a turn it will make the idle and off idle too lean. Thats when you can have the back and front mixture screws out a different number of turns. So then I start with the back mixture screws out a 1/2 turn , then adjust the fronts only. If you end up with the fronts say out 3/4 to 1 turn thats cool. The driveability will be better then all the screws only out a 1/2 a turn. I agree with the above 90% of the cars only need 2 mixture screws. The four corners are more meant for really radical idling engines.

Hope that helps

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: 4 corner idle adjustment
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.