Valve tip to rocker arm alignment - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jun 9th, 08, 10:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Troy

Default Valve tip to rocker arm alignment

I was adjusting the valves on a fresh 396 tonight and noticed that all the intake rocker arms are off center, some worse than others. The exhaust all look good. I'm running Manley guide plates with 3/8 push rods and factory stamped steel rocker arms. I've done a search and have come to the conclusion that aftermarket guide plates are a crap shoot. My question is, should I be concerned since I'm just running stamped steel rocker arms? Will one side of the valve tip wear prematurely? Should I buy GM guide plates to fix the problem or am I concerned for nothing? Thanks for any guidance (pun intended).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 10th, 08, 1:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Doug

Default Re: Valve tip to rocker arm alignment

You can either shift your current guideplates to average out the intake and exhaust rocker arm alignment, or I believe Dart sells adjustable guideplates.

Stamped rocker arms, esp on a BBC, need good alignment to keep them alive. That is one engine where we do our best to get the customer into full roller rockers, or at least the Comp roller tip.
Old Jun 10th, 08, 2:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Can you still get original guide plates from GM? They used to come in 5/16", 3/8", and 7/16".
Old Jun 10th, 08, 9:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Troy

Doug, Thanks for your input. I never thought of elongating the mounting holes to help the problem a bit, although then they would all be off somewhat. You make it sound as though it is quite important on stamped steel rocker arms to maintain good alignment for things to last. This car will only be driven 1000-1500 miles a year and is a pretty tame unit but I hate to half a$$ anything especially when it comes to durability and longevity.

Keith, yes new GM guide plates are still available @ $6.30 ea. wholesale. Part# 3860038 for 3/8 GEN IV. Unfortunatly they come 5 to a box so you may have to buy all 10.
Old Jun 10th, 08, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to ricks_67

I have a set of merlin heads on my motor. The guide plates that came on the heads were way out of wack, then I was told Comp Cams or manley are the best, same situation. So I tried some GM and the same results. I wound up cutting the CC guide plates putting the heads on the motor setting them up and taking the heads to work to weld the plates together. Then I saw some cracks in the welds after about a year+. I talked to my machinists and he told me 2 things. All the person machining the head has to do is be off 1 degree and it throws everything out and nothing will work. He told me about the Dart 2 piece plates and I installed them. Cost $7.?? from Competition products but the rockers are centered now.

Old Jun 12th, 08, 9:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Troy

Rick, If the GM guide plates don't help the problem I will order the adjustable type. Thanks for your input on the subject. I didn't know the adjustable type were even offered. Always good to learn something new
Old Jun 12th, 08, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech Team

Glad to have helped. Good luck.
Old Jun 12th, 08, 1:54 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks_67 View Post
I have a set of merlin heads on my motor. The guide plates that came on the heads were way out of wack, then I was told Comp Cams or manley are the best, same situation. So I tried some GM and the same results. I wound up cutting the CC guide plates putting the heads on the motor setting them up and taking the heads to work to weld the plates together. Then I saw some cracks in the welds after about a year+. I talked to my machinists and he told me 2 things. All the person machining the head has to do is be off 1 degree and it throws everything out and nothing will work. He told me about the Dart 2 piece plates and I installed them. Cost $7.?? from Competition products but the rockers are centered now.

Sorry to butt in, but what are those springs in your lifter valley?
TH400, 3.36 Stock Rearend
Old Jun 12th, 08, 2:07 PM
Team Member
Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65cayne View Post
Sorry to butt in, but what are those springs in your lifter valley?
That is what a Rev Kit looks like. Excellent for Hydraulic rollers to assist with valve float, or Solid rollers to keep the lifter in constant contact with the cam.

I run an Crower on my AFR headed Voodoo 60234 Solid roller 496 with Isky Red Zone EZ roll lifters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rev kit 1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	14464   Click image for larger version

Name:	rev kit 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	14465  
Old Jun 12th, 08, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

it's a rev kit for solid roller lifters. It keeps the lifter on the cam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Valve tip to rocker arm alignment
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.