holley air/fuel idle adjust question- how to? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old May 18th, 08, 11:24 PM
Tech Team
phil

Default holley air/fuel idle adjust question- how to?

Hi,

I'm going to be adjusting the idle air/fuel ratio on a newly rebuilt Holley 4150 750DP with mechanical secondaries and electric choke.
I'm going to hook up a vacuum gauge and adjust for highest vacuum. Correct?

Do I do primary driver side then primary pass side the same amount? Or adjust each one for the highest vacuum reading even if they are different?

After both the primary sides then I should do the secondary sides, correct?(Or is it primary driver, then secondary driver, then primary passenger, then secondary passenger?)

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 08, 2:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Default Re: holley air/fuel idle adjust question- how to?

4 corner idle circuits are a little trickier, first start with them all out around 1 1/2 turns from seat. Then go to driver's side primary , passenger side primary, passenger side secondary, then finally the drivers side secondary. Then go around it one more time. Hopefully when you are done all four screws should be out approx. the same number of turns. If you find that you can turn the seconday or primary screws in all the way and it makes very little difference the idle mixture screw on that same side is turned out too far. Hope that helps a little.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 08, 6:41 PM
Tech Team
phil

OK, I'll give it a try, thanks
Old May 19th, 08, 7:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

phil..just remember that carb tuning follows ignition timing.Make sure your initial and total fall into normal ranges for your application..then finish off with the carb.Many a carb have been swapped out when the real issue lies beneath.

8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
Old May 19th, 08, 8:52 PM
Tech Team
phil

Thanks for the tip George.
Yes, I'm trying to do them both together. Initial timing is set fine at 16* but mech advance is still too much so I have to work on that... wish I could hear if it pings or not over the loud exhaust... I'm aiming for 32 total but currently have wayyyy more.
Old May 20th, 08, 3:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robb

Bump
Old May 20th, 08, 7:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Send a message via AIM to Skeeveman

For a ballpark adjustment on a fresh carb, I will set the timing and get it warmed up. Then I get a buddy to get in the car and put it in gear (if it's a stick, I guess it doesn't matter so much), have him hold the brake, and I turn all the adjustment screws out about 2 turns. Next, turn all 4 of the screws in 1/8 turn at a time, waiting for the carb to adjust between adjustments. Keep doing this until your idle speed starts to drop, and back them off a 1/8 turn. This should be pretty close to where you want to be, but can get better.

For final idle mixture turning, I make sure I have the timing set and the engine warmed, like above, then I set the mixture screws by tapping on the accelerator pump to give the engine a quick shot of fuel, but without cracking the throttle open. If the engine speeds up, the mixture is lean, if it stumbles, the mixture is rich. If there is no change, you're pretty much there. I do this by adjusting the primary side first, adjusting the mixture screws equally every time by 1/8 turn, and allowing a few moments for the carb to adjust to the settings. Then I move to the secondary side, doing the same thing. Finally I do both at the same time, adjusting all 4 mixture screws at once, but with smaller adjustments. I've never had much luck with the vacuum gauge method myself.
12 Bolt w/ 3.55's
Best so far: 11.09@120.97 (Smokin' Mo-Kan Dragway, Hot Rod Reunion, 10-07-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: holley air/fuel idle adjust question- how to?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.