1970 Chevelle LS6 quarter mile time - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Apr 14th, 08, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Default 1970 Chevelle LS6 quarter mile time

As I recall when tested as a new car, the 1970 Chevelle LS6 ran a 13 something, I can't remember if it was a 13.4 or a 13.8.

My question is this....when they tested the car at the strip in 1970, did they run slicks on the rear? Or bias plys?

I ask because I always thought they ran the car bone stock out of the box, right down to the factory bias ply tires. But I have another guy trying to tell me they ran slicks on the rear and that the car ran 13's with slicks and 14's with the bias ply tires.

Anyone know for sure which was ran to get the 13 second time reported in 1970?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 14th, 08, 10:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default Re: 1970 Chevelle LS6 quarter mile time

Hi Dave,
Fastest recorded ET's for an LS6 car back in late 1969/1970 was 13.20 @ 106 by Super Stock and Car Craft banged a 13.12 @ 107 MPH
All where done on the factory F70 14 tires
Super Stock magazine had a pre-production test mule that they tested in the Oct. 69 issue that turned a 12.69 @113.26 w/slicks and open headers, Auto too.

How is that T-Type treating you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 14th, 08, 10:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

You wouldn't happen to know where I can find a copy of the super stock and car craft runs online would you? I want to use it as solid proof to shut this guy up. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post

How is that T-Type treating you?
It's doing ok. I've not driven it much since I moved out of NC a month ago. I am still having some knock retard issues with it. My fuel pressure is good, I installed a Turbo Tweak chip and bumped up the fuel curves some....and that helped a little, I have a hot wire kit installed, now the next thing I am going to do is drop the tank and install a new Walbro 255 lph pump I have. I am suspecting it might still have the stock fuel pump in it. Next I want to install a new down pipe and exhaust and start looking into getting it ready for the track.

Although I do miss my Chevelle, even though it was a pig at the pump. I even considered trading the T for one if I found one I liked. (probably not gonna happen)
Old Apr 14th, 08, 10:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post
You wouldn't happen to know where I can find a copy of the super stock and car craft runs online would you? I want to use it as solid proof to shut this guy up. Thanks!
I have the old issues,but no scanner.

show him this:
http://www.musclecargarage.com/50fastestmusclecars.html

Eric's chips rock! (TT)
Don't forget to hot wire the pump too
Old Apr 14th, 08, 11:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

Here's an LS6 vert 2 years ago at the Supercar reunion...notice the time in the back window...

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n_DSCF3532.jpg SOLD!!!!
Old Apr 14th, 08, 11:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

I think it ran low 14's the first run out...

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n_DSCF3532.jpg SOLD!!!!
Old Apr 15th, 08, 4:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky

Check this out. Lots of times for old muscle cars,no details on how tests were conducted.
http://roadtests.tripod.com/index.html
T.C.#3078
A.C.E.S.#7320
72 Chevelle 402
My Car
Old Apr 15th, 08, 8:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

There can be quite a range in ETs depending on how the same car is set up. Our COPO Chevelle came from the factory with #68 primary jets and #76s in the secondaries. The advance curve didn't come in fully until around 5000 rpm. To say the least it didn't perform all that well and wouldn't launch at all with the no traction F70 X 14 Uniroyals. Just headers, jetting and advance curve changes made it like a different car. Still wouldn't launch at all but sure hauled once it did hook up. Adding slicks would knock several tenths off the et as the higher hp cars could easily lose 3-4 tenths right off the line with stock tires. Magazines tested in various modes, so it is hard to compare numbers without knowing what was done to the car first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: 1970 Chevelle LS6 quarter mile time
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.