Running EFI and an 4L80E with the same computer - What do I need? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Old Apr 7th, 08, 5:46 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Default Running EFI and an 4L80E with the same computer - What do I need?

I fairly new to these forums and I need some help tracking down some information. I would like to upgrade to EFI and a 4L80E for my Gen I small block, but I can't afford both an aftermarket fuel injection system and a stand alone transmission controller. I was hoping to take advantage of the General's engineering and simply retrofit an OEM computer that can power both the EFI and the tranny. I am open to suggestions, but I was thinking about using the Ramjet manifold since I have Vortec heads. That package has all of the sensors installed (at least for a basic TPI system) so I guess all I need is the appropriate computer and harness to connect everything together. I am central Texas and I know there are some good programmers within a few hours drive. I would like to take advantage of the most advanced Gen 1 EFI if at all possible so I will switch out the sensors if necessary. What computer should I use and does anyone know of someone that can build a harness for this retrofit? Is there anything I am missing that would make this a difficult endeavor? Any links to other applicable threads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 7th, 08, 6:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Neal

Default Re: Running EFI and an 4L80E with the same computer - What do I need?

Well interestingly enough I was reading on one of the 3rdgen f-body forums the other day and I was surprised to find that the 99 and 00 chevy safari vans (I think those are the right years) actually use the Gen I/II small block along with the gen III LS1 computer. A few of the 3rd gen guys have already converted their engines using parts from junkyard safari vans. I would imagine if you could find one wrecked you could pick it up on the cheap and make the swap and scrap whatever was left. This would allow you to have a controller for your tranny and some of the latest fuel injection technology from gm.
12.70 at 108.95mph
Old Apr 7th, 08, 10:25 PM
Tech Team

It can be done but you have decide how easy or hard you want to make it. Easy is getting an entire drivetrain out of a truck or van with all the sensors, computer etc and dropping them in your application. It will probably run OK that way but you will need aftermarket tuning or rely on someone to burn a new chip for you for every change. Next down is piecing together a system. It will also work, but same problem eventually.
I know some of the Camaro guys are running the 4l80e with slightly modded factory computers. You may want to check over there and see what they are running exactly and cheat off their setups.
1971 Chevelle 4dr sedan, L76 with Livernois Stage 1 cam, Edelbrock headers and full exhaust system, T56 Magnum transmission, LS7 clutch and Tick master cylinder, C6 front brakes, LS1 rear brakes. GTO seats front and back 400,000 plus miles, still my daily driver.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331903
Old Apr 8th, 08, 2:33 AM
Tech Team
Randy

BS3 makes an EFI controller with a 4L80E controller integrated in. It is a state of the art EFI Controller and Trans controller made by John Meaney(he had a hand in designing just about every EFI controller on the market) http://www.bigstuff3.com/gen3sefi.pdf
Old Apr 8th, 08, 10:41 AM
Tech Team
Eric

I looked into the BS3 controller, but unfortunately the ecm and harness package nearly consumes my entire budget. Top-of-the-line EFI technology is not a priority for me. I just don't want to settle for old school TPI if GenII or GenIII is within equal reach.

I have a 383 long block and a used 4L80E ready to go into my '67 Malibu. I just need to figure out the fuel system and the computer issues.

pist0lpete - any chance you could provide me a link to the threads you were reading on the subject. What Camaro forums should I be visiting to get this info?

Thanks,
Eric
Old Apr 8th, 08, 2:44 PM
Tech Team

Check out www.ls1tech.com . A lot of those guys are finally getting tired of refreshing their 4l60's and 700r4's and going with the 4l80e's. I know some years are pretty much a direct swap from a 4l60e to a 4l80e with a new wiring harness bridge and reflashed chip. Hope this helps...
1971 Chevelle 4dr sedan, L76 with Livernois Stage 1 cam, Edelbrock headers and full exhaust system, T56 Magnum transmission, LS7 clutch and Tick master cylinder, C6 front brakes, LS1 rear brakes. GTO seats front and back 400,000 plus miles, still my daily driver.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331903
Old Apr 8th, 08, 5:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Neal

Well after doing a little searching I came up with this thread on thirdgen.org (http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...-opinions.html) that site seems to be the place to go for that kind of info.
12.70 at 108.95mph
Old Apr 8th, 08, 9:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

6.0L/4L80E combo from a truck or van will be the most cost effective and best option in my opinion.

Andrew
Car Craft feature
Ron Paul for President 2012

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: Running EFI and an 4L80E with the same computer - What do I need?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.