wiring in dual electric fans - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

Old Mar 20th, 08, 10:25 AM
Tech Team
Bruce

Default wiring in dual electric fans

Installing dual electric fans to have fan #1 come on at one temp and fan #2 to come on at a higher temp, do I need to have two independent sensors? Additionally, where do I place these sensors? I already have an aftermarket temp gauge with a sender in the driver's side head and would like to keep that, too.

I have seen water neckets with a sensor boss built in, so that would probably be good for one.

I am trying to avoid buying an electronic controller and was hoping I could just use two relays and two sensors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 20th, 08, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: wiring in dual electric fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres07 View Post
I am trying to avoid buying an electronic controller and was hoping I could just use two relays and two sensors.
Just use them.
Old Mar 20th, 08, 11:11 AM
Tech Team
Bob

Bruce: Your now entering the PERFECT STORM. If you buy two sensors, you'll need two controllers. One sensor goes in the water neck on top. I don't have a clue where the other sensor could go. I really don't think your idea of two independent sensors will pan out. Here's my last helping word: Scrap your idea and stop by an Electrical Auto Shop for advice. You'll save alot of time, aggravation and money trying to jury rig something that may not work and remember: Most places will not allow a return of electrical components. Seek some advice ASAP...

Good Luck..!
Bob in CT
Old Mar 20th, 08, 11:59 AM
Tech Team
Bruce

Yea...I thought it might be getting a little complicated. What I want is a low/ high type setting, mainly to cut the noise from electric fans. I have read your posts going back a few years and found them to be very helpful.
Old Mar 20th, 08, 1:45 PM
Tech Team

I was looking at the SPAL unit it looks like it would work ..

http://www.customstreetdesigns.com/4062-FAN-PWM.htm
Old Mar 20th, 08, 4:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Yea...I thought it might be getting a little complicated. What I want is a low/ high type setting, mainly to cut the noise from electric fans. I have read your posts going back a few years and found them to be very helpful.
I use two sensors all the time on my two speed fan controllers. All you need is two sensors to close at the temperatures you want, and two relays to control the fans. It's pretty simple. I put one in the water neck and one in the manifold.
Old Mar 20th, 08, 4:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Send a message via AIM to Skeeveman

If you want to have them kick on at different times (temps), you would have to wire them independent of each other, using two different thermostatic switches. I wouldn't mess with doing that myself, but the theory is still the same and you have to use two relays to do this regardless. I myself like wiring them up to where they are activated by introducing the ground to the circuit, with the therm. switch being what grounds them out, and you can even "piggy back" an in-line toggle switch to the ground circuit to override the thermostatic switch to manually make them come on earlier, or make them stay on longer. Below is the diagrams that come with the spal fan install kit. They just tell you the colors of the wires, but remember, this is nothing more than a standard bosch relay.

According to the diagram, here is what you need to know.

Yellow = #30 on relay
Orange= #86 on relay
Red= #87 on relay
Grey= #85 on relay

Here is the wiring diagram, http://project71.net/skeeveman/Wirin...n%20wiring.jpg

This is THE way to do dual fans IMHO. If you want I will throw up pictures of how I have my relays,fuses, and switch mounted.
12 Bolt w/ 3.55's
Best so far: 11.09@120.97 (Smokin' Mo-Kan Dragway, Hot Rod Reunion, 10-07-2012)
Old Mar 20th, 08, 5:30 PM
Tech Team
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeveman View Post
If you want to have them kick on at different times (temps), you would have to wire them independent of each other, using two different thermostatic switches. I wouldn't mess with doing that myself, but the theory is still the same and you have to use two relays to do this regardless. I myself like wiring them up to where they are activated by introducing the ground to the circuit, with the therm. switch being what grounds them out, and you can even "piggy back" an in-line toggle switch to the ground circuit to override the thermostatic switch to manually make them come on earlier, or make them stay on longer. Below is the diagrams that come with the spal fan install kit. They just tell you the colors of the wires, but remember, this is nothing more than a standard bosch relay.

According to the diagram, here is what you need to know.

Yellow = #30 on relay
Orange= #86 on relay
Red= #87 on relay
Grey= #85 on relay

Here is the wiring diagram, http://project71.net/skeeveman/Wirin...n%20wiring.jpg

This is THE way to do dual fans IMHO. If you want I will throw up pictures of how I have my relays,fuses, and switch mounted.

I would love to see your set-up in pictures. I looked at your spal diagram and the only thing different that I would have to do is use a second therm switch which has a higher "on" temp....that Spal diagram already uses 2 relays for the dual fans.

If I wanted to put LED indicator lights in cab of car so that I know when each fan comes on, can I piggy back them on the "fan positive" (87 on relay) wire, assuming I use the appropriate resistor?

I guess what I am trying to do is get all the advantages of an electronic controller with out spending the $ on the device which will leave me with the money to buy a nicer radiator.
Old Mar 20th, 08, 9:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Send a message via AIM to Skeeveman

You can put lights in there that way, and here is a calculator for picking the right resistors. http://ledcalc.com/

Here are the pics. I could pull the battery out and show you the pic there, but it won't help you much because they are all wrapped in harness tape.
http://project71.net/skeeveman/Temp/Fan/

Nothing special to look at, but you can see I kept everything real close to the battery. The only thing I may change later is changing the fuses (they're the inline style in front of the battery), into being fixed to the area next to the relays, which are right behind the battery, mounted on the radiator support.
12 Bolt w/ 3.55's
Best so far: 11.09@120.97 (Smokin' Mo-Kan Dragway, Hot Rod Reunion, 10-07-2012)
Old Mar 20th, 08, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
If I wanted to put LED indicator lights in cab of car so that I know when each fan comes on, can I piggy back them on the "fan positive" (87 on relay) wire, assuming I use the appropriate resistor?
Just buy a 12v LED.
Old Mar 21st, 08, 2:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

My electric fan over ride switch is invaluable when ridding in classic car parades 160 to 170 max

Mike Lewis street 572
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/
Holley HP EFI
Marcella Manifolds
Heads by Darin Morgan
Cam by UDHarold
.456 X 1.8/1.7
R2C Filters
www.r2cperformance
Ultra Carbon
www.ultra-carbon.com/
GF-5R,
TRZ FAB 9" 4.56 REM, Cryo Treated
4000 lb street car
My Showroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Heating & Cooling      Current Topic: wiring in dual electric fans
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.