Z010 cam specs help? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Mar 8th, 08, 2:00 AM
Tech Team

Default Z010 cam specs help?

I'm tearing down my 400 SBC to replace the heads with Vortecs and I was planning on a Comp 280H cam to swap for what I had figured wasn't much of a cam that's in there, but now I'm wondering. The old cam is stamped Z010 on the back (dizzy end), and if I'm measuring correctly it's got like .325 lobe lift (measured with calipers diameter along a lobe, then diamerter 90 degrees away, got ~.500, and ~.175 = .5 - .175 = .325). Can anybody tell me the specs on this? I could only find one post online and the guy there said it's a 292H cam with ~.501 lift which is possible my measurements are kind of rough. Thanks in advance!

It does not have a cam company name stamped or cast into it, my new 280H Comp says Comp Cams 280H stamped on the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 8th, 08, 2:16 AM
Tech Team

Default Re: Z010 cam specs help?

Well I just remeasured and came up with 1.510" and 1.175" so 1.51 - 1.175 = .325 * 1.5 = .502 lift, somewhere I saw an answer that this cam is a 292H which has .501 lift, maybe this is correct? Can anybody veryify?

I remeasured the Comp 280H since it's a known and came up with 1.530" and 1.210" which gives .320" which is the advertised lobe lift for that cam...Hmmm
Old Mar 8th, 08, 7:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

But that leaves out the more important spec: the duration @ .050 which is what you want to focus on when shopping for a new cam. That and the LSA. And that would be a bit more difficult to measure. Particularly with dial calipers. Sorry though, I don't know the specs on that cam. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old Mar 8th, 08, 7:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

i just got a clevite cam, new in the box but its an old grind they dont make anymore, ZL-1 cam from 1969 (clevites version of it with a wider lobe seperation everything else the same)and i have been emailing with a clevite rep. and on the back of this new cam is "Z026" he told me this:

"This must be a very old cam if there is not a 229 number on the box. If we had this in our line, it was discontinued long ago.

The "Z026" marking on the rear of the cam is the last 3 digits of the supplier. Based on this, he has the cam with 262/273 duration @.050."

so maybe just maybe its a clevite cam mine was for a bbc. im still trying to dig information out of this guy on more specs since my box cam with two stickers on it with two different lobe seperation numbers one was 112 and the other 116.25.

in the past i had a few cams given to me and no info on them other then they ran really good in such and such engine..............never knowing the specs of them all i did was measure the lobes and made a degree wheel and took some .050" reading from opening and closing points to give me a rough idea how big the cam was.

one cam gave me 5" of vacuum at idle 800 rpms and had a real rump rump sound to it so i thought it was pretty big but had no specs i just ran it , then i finally made a degree wheel. it had about a .500 lift ( bbc cam) i thought small lift, but it had about 240 degrees at .050" . another cam had 230 something degrees and i used degree wheel on other known cams to give me an idea of how close it might be.

this was the cheapest way for me to find out what i had without sending cam off to get it read.

i save these cams for back ups in case i have one go flat or if im building a low dollar engine for the heck of it.

so if the cam is in good shape maybe just hold on to it use it for a future build and put a cam in that you want to run with known specs.
Old Mar 8th, 08, 11:32 AM
Paul

Before you pull it, just degree it so you will know what it is.

pdq67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Z010 cam specs help?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.