350 to 700R4 conversion - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Feb 20th, 08, 11:43 AM
Team Member

Default 350 to 700R4 conversion

I have a 700R4 out of a '91 Formula that I want to put in my '72 Chevelle and I have some questions:

Will the bracket Holley makes for this be enough to correct the geometry? Holley 20-121
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I want to use the Summit 2000 stall convertor. SUM-G2704

I will be installing the B&M Transpack.

I am still reviewing shifter options but may use the B&M Truck Megashifter.

I have to convert the electronic speedo to gear driven but think I have that down.

It sounds like I will have to move my cross-member back and maybe drill holes in the frame to bolt it up. I assume I can use the 350 cross-member I have now. Will the current rubber/plate mount from the 350 tail-shaft mate the 700R4 to my cross-member?

Will there be any clearance issues in the tunnel?

What drive-shaft do I need to get? I do want to get a complete replacement in the event I have to quick switch back to the 350. Being I have a 4-door Chevelle that is 4 inches longer like the convertible do I still have to shorten the drive-shaft?

I am only pushing about 330HP and have 3.73 gears in the rear. I do pull a trailer on occasion as this vehicle truly is a MPV (multi-purpose-vehicle).

I hope to start on this in a couple weeks once the temp gets above zero here in Minnesota!

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

Darren
1982 Kawasaki KZ750LTD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 20th, 08, 1:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rod

Default Re: 350 to 700R4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-door Chevelle View Post
IWill the bracket Holley makes for this be enough to correct the geometry? Holley 20-121
Worked for mine.

Quote:
I will be installing the B&M Transpack.
I used it in mine as well, works very well.

Quote:
It sounds like I will have to move my cross-member back and maybe drill holes in the frame to bolt it up. I assume I can use the 350 cross-member I have now. Will the current rubber/plate mount from the 350 tail-shaft mate the 700R4 to my cross-member?
Your trans mount will work for the 700 as well. All you have to do is move the cross member back, bolt it to the trans mission, and mark for your bolt holes, thats what I did anyway.

Quote:
Will there be any clearance issues in the tunnel?
I had no clearance issues at all.

Quote:
What drive-shaft do I need to get? I do want to get a complete replacement in the event I have to quick switch back to the 350. Being I have a 4-door Chevelle that is 4 inches longer like the convertible do I still have to shorten the drive-shaft?
The 700 is longer than your 350, so no matter what car it is in, your new driveline will be shorter. You will need to measure from the seal surface on the back of the tail shaft, where the yoke goes in, to the center line of the universal join hold down on the rearend. You can use some 350 yokes they are shorter, and most trans shops and drivline shops encourage you to swap to a 700 yoke. It cost me @$80 to have my driveline shortened, ballan ced, yoke swapped from the 350 to a 700 yoke, and heavy duty universal joints installed.

My_two_tone_'64

Rod Hill
Industrial Tech. Instructor
Auto, Wood, Electronics, Drafting, and Architecture
Los Banos High
Los Banos California
Old Feb 25th, 08, 1:12 PM
Team Member

I am looking at the http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml TV systems. I will also have to move my drive shaft loop back. Anybody in Minnesota have a drive shaft for sale?
1982 Kawasaki KZ750LTD
Old Feb 26th, 08, 1:38 AM

Yhe bowtie overdrive TV system is great. I've installed their kit on two chevelles without any problems. They also sell a trans crossmember that will bolt right in. Might as well just get your driveshaft shortened, this way you know it is balanced and all the parts are new.....hate to put that driveshaft loop to work. good luck
Old Apr 7th, 08, 4:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Randy

I'm also going with vortec heads. I just thought of this yesterday. This is going to be a problem with my old TV and throttle brackets because they will not be able to bolt onto my old location because they are different intake bolt mounting styles. I'll have to investigate some options.
http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=Front2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: 350 to 700R4 conversion
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.