Battery charger blows 20 amp fuse to HEI? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old Feb 18th, 08, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Default Battery charger blows 20 amp fuse to HEI?

I have some sort of drain on my electrical system that has been an annoyance for the most part. As long as I start and drive the car fairly regularly, I don't have any problems. This year, the weather has been much colder than normal and I have found my car's battery dead more than I like. I had one of those small chargers that you can pick up just about anyplace, but after it failed to charge my battery, I splurged and bought a large cart-style charger at Sears. The first time I used it, I had the battery disconnected and everything worked just fine. The next two times I used it, I left the battery connected to and each time, the car failed to start after wards due to a blown fuse that feeds the HEI. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Thanks,
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 18th, 08, 6:02 AM
Gold Founding Member
Thomas

Default Re: Battery charger blows 20 amp fuse to HEI?

The HEI should not have power unless the key is on!! How do you have that wired?
ACES 2759
PeachState Chevelles
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/albu...pictureid=6381
66 malibu wagon, 327, AC, pw.
67 chevelle 300 deluxe post, LT1-4L60E, 3:36-10 bolt posi,AC,tilt,pw,pl, Autometer gauges,custom dash

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary,
too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Ludlow, 1824
Old Feb 19th, 08, 5:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino66 View Post
The HEI should not have power unless the key is on!! How do you have that wired?
It looks like the hot wire is running directly from the HEI to the fuse block.

Dave
Old Feb 24th, 08, 9:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Update:

I took the car out today and when I got on the throttle it looked like my entire electrical system was shorting out. I have digital gauges, which would cut off along with the stereo for a split second then come back on. The car continued to run, but at one point it stumbled during one of these episodes.

Could I have a loose ground wire someplace?

Dave

Last edited by dscabra; Feb 24th, 08 at 9:57 PM.
Old Feb 24th, 08, 11:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

What does the volt gauge read when this happens?

MY 70SS
Old Feb 25th, 08, 6:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by undee70ss View Post
What does the volt gauge read when this happens?
Volt gauge reads normal (13.5-14.0 volts), but goes out with the rest of the gauges when the "short/problem" happens.

Dave
Old Feb 26th, 08, 3:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
It looks like the hot wire is running directly from the HEI to the fuse block.

Dave
Where on the fuse block, which terminal????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra
I have some sort of drain on my electrical system that has been an annoyance for the most part. As long as I start and drive the car fairly regularly, I don't have any problems. This year, the weather has been much colder than normal and I have found my car's battery dead more than I like

First find and correct this problem........

To test for the drain, disconnect any clocks and radio with memory, with the car off and everything turned off, disconnect positive battery cable and connect a test light inline between the cable and the battery (do not let the cable touch ground), with a drain the light will be lit. You need to make the light go out to find the drain. Disconnect things one at a time till the light goes out. First disconnect the alternator and voltage regulator plug, then fuses at the fuse box.

Quote:
Update:

I took the car out today and when I got on the throttle it looked like my entire electrical system was shorting out. I have digital gauges, which would cut off along with the stereo for a split second then come back on. The car continued to run, but at one point it stumbled during one of these episodes.

Could I have a loose ground wire someplace?
Yes or a poor conection in the main wiring. Check battery cables and connections (both pos and neg) and connections in main wiring, (junction block and horn relay) If you rule those 2 places out, could have a bad connection at firewall bulkhead connector.

Quote:
The first time I used it, I had the battery disconnected and everything worked just fine. The next two times I used it, I left the battery connected to and each time, the car failed to start after wards due to a blown fuse that feeds the HEI. Any ideas why this would be happening?
As for the fuse blowing, if the HEI is wired to IGN terminal at fuse box, that terminal should only have power when key is on. Is there anything else wired to that terminal? If the battery charger is blowing that fuse (should be the turn sig fuse) then something must be wired incorrectly and backfeeding that circuit. (need to answer which terminal you used first) This could also be causing your battery to drain also.

MY 70SS
Old Feb 26th, 08, 8:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

undee70ss: Thank you for taking the time to offer such detailed help. I will try to work on the car this weekend if I can and will follow up here with any updates. As for the terminal that the HEI is connected to -- plugged into the bottom connector between the left and right fuse banks just above the 4A ignition fuse. There is another wire running from that plug, but i don't know were it is going.

Dave
Old Feb 27th, 08, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Quote:
There is another wire running from that plug, but i don't know were it is going.

Dave
Does it look like a factory wire or a added wire. Do the drain test, if you have a drain, try disconnecting that wire.

MY 70SS
Old Feb 27th, 08, 6:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by undee70ss View Post
Does it look like a factory wire or a added wire. Do the drain test, if you have a drain, try disconnecting that wire.

I am pretty sure the heavy yellow wire is running to my HEI, but I don't know where the pink wire is going.

Last edited by dscabra; Mar 25th, 09 at 9:16 PM.
Old Mar 10th, 08, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Update - 3/10/2008:

Well, I haven't had a lot of free time lately, but today I started to try to figure out what is going on with my car. The battery was dead again, so this time I disconnected it and charged the battery. After reconnecting the battery, I started the car. It crancked right up and ran for a few seconds (typical when cold) and died. I pumped the gas a couple more times and tried to start it again, but guess what -- the fuse had blown again. After a few choice words and a trip to the auto parts store to get another pack of fuses, I did the following:

1. I disconnected the amplifier power lead from the battery
2. I disconnected the HEI wire along with the mystery wire from the fuse block
3. I ran a new wire from the HEI to the fuse block -- leaving the mystery wire disconnected
4. I replaced the blown fuse

After doing the steps above, I fired the car back up. All my gauges seem to functioning normally now and there were no "shoring episodes". So, now I need to track down what the mystery wire was feeding and attempt to reconnect my amplifier. I still need to try the drain test that was recommended previously, but things are looking up.

Dave
Old Apr 24th, 08, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Just to follow-up on this thread; I’ve been traveling a lot for work lately and trying to landscape our new home. I last fired my car on 3/10/2008 after replacing the ignition wire from the fuse block to the HEI and removing the mystery wire, but haven't had any time to mess with it since. Today (4/24/2008) I got off work early, so I went out to try to start the car. I fully expected to have a dead battery again, but much to my surprise it fired right up. It looks like the "mystery" wire that was spliced into my ignition wire was the culprit. Thanks to everyone who provided responses to my original post. I really appreciate it, and hope I can return the favor some day.

Thanks again to everyone --
Dave
Old Apr 25th, 08, 1:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who provided responses to my original post. I really appreciate it, and hope I can return the favor some day.

Thanks again to everyone --
Dave

MY 70SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: Battery charger blows 20 amp fuse to HEI?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.