Art Morrison "Max-G" Chassis - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Old Feb 6th, 08, 4:57 PM

Default Art Morrison "Max-G" Chassis

I have a '66 SS under the knife and was considering this chassis as the base of my project. The company tells me that it's great but I thought I'd look for some real life opinions. Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 6th, 08, 5:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Default Re: Art Morrison "Max-G" Chassis

No opinions, but... a few questions to ponder...

1) What are your intentions for the car? Cruiser with spirited driving? Auto-cross? Some track/road course events? Hardcore track car (maybe still streetable)? Really care about having a cool frame under your car to show off?

2) Does the chassis affect handling much, by itself? i.e., does a stiff chassis help alot? On a racecar, sure, but for the street (or the way you will drive the car) is it significant?

3) Does the Max-G chassis have "stock" suspension pickup points? Use "stock" suspension pieces? Is there a "suspension geometry" reason to use it?

4) Does the max-G chassis weight more or less than a "stock" frame?
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Feb 6th, 08, 5:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

The Max-G is fully custom, and I believe uses 'vette front suspension... unfortunately, it's not just a simple bolt-on frame. You will need to either modify your floors, the frame, or both to make it fit.

IMHO, you can do a LOT with a stock frame with bolt-ons... anything more is overkill for the street.
Old Feb 6th, 08, 7:04 PM

Yeah. They offer a corvette front end or their own set up. The floor modifications are not really modifications but rather a replacement. I need to repair a large portion of my floor and trunk floor so in my case it's kind of a wash on labor time.
Old Feb 6th, 08, 7:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Troy

The Max-G chassis is really nice. I like it even more now that they offer a 3-link rear suspension.

You basically slice out your floor, weld it up even with the bottom of the rockers, and start over.

It is expensive though... about $11K with the rear end housing & rear suspension, you bring your own C5 stuff to the table. I looked into it about a year ago and dismissed it due to price.

Old Procharged 350: 88mph 1/8, 11.9 @ 125mph 1/4, full street trim on slippery 17's, 3950# with driver, ice chest, stereo, and tools, California 91 pump gas.

In progress: Twin Turbo LS2, going for a bigger ET/MPH mismatch at the 1/4.
Old Feb 7th, 08, 12:51 PM
Tech Team
Adam

Don't forget the Roadster shop.
Got to look at this frame at SEMA and asked lots of question.
You will not have to cut up your floor for this chassis.
The front suspension is from DSE if I remember correctly. So no easy to get C5 parts.
http://www.rsperformanceconcepts.com/
Old Feb 7th, 08, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by envmyss View Post
Don't forget the Roadster shop.
Got to look at this frame at SEMA and asked lots of question.
You will not have to cut up your floor for this chassis.
The front suspension is from DSE if I remember correctly. So no easy to get C5 parts.
http://www.rsperformanceconcepts.com/
I looked at that chassis as well. It looks great but the price is about $7000 more. Ouch.
Old Feb 7th, 08, 5:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

11 grand is my suspension, brakes and rear end. no way I can justify a new frame removing all that when the stocker can be worked over and be more than enough for track and street.

Now, if I just had that coin laying around and wanted something to blow it on then, HELL YEAH I would do it. But I dont, so I cant....maybe one day
Old Feb 7th, 08, 11:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Here is a great alternative for a replacement frame for A-bodies:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...sis/index.html

http://gmachinechassis.com/

Andrew
Car Craft feature
Ron Paul for President 2012

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old Feb 8th, 08, 7:45 AM
Tech Team
Mike K.

Send a message via AIM to MakMetalFab

Those welds look lie a bird **** on it! on the schwartz chassi.
Old Feb 10th, 08, 3:13 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Disliking "front steer" or "revese Ackerman" steering as Chev stuck us with if I where building a chassis the first goal would be a rack & pinion behind the cross mamber even if it meant a custom pan.
The design where he uses a large retangle tube layed sideways to run a Nascar style exhaust out in front of the rear wheels scares me. The entire rear end is located buy the long sheet metal runs of that rectangle tube. May work until someone takes it to the Drags.
I have not studied the Morrison deal but his back ground is Drag Race componants, I would expect it to be quite nice. I whatched one of the Boyd Coddington shows a while back where they used a AM chassis
Old Feb 12th, 08, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
11 grand is my suspension, brakes and rear end. no way I can justify a new frame removing all that when the stocker can be worked over and be more than enough for track and street.

Now, if I just had that coin laying around and wanted something to blow it on then, HELL YEAH I would do it. But I dont, so I cant....maybe one day
If you had 11 grand to spend on the susp. of your car you could have spent 13 and put one of these under the thing. to each his own I guess.
Old Apr 29th, 08, 9:20 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malli383 View Post
I have a '66 SS under the knife and was considering this chassis as the base of my project. The company tells me that it's great but I thought I'd look for some real life opinions. Any help?
Malli383- Right now, our chassis is not a direct bolt-on, but that will be changing by the end of the year. We have a few different Chevelle chassis in the shop right now and are starting to take initial measurements for a complete replacement frame.

The frame we have now is pretty cool in that we set it up for the ride height that you want, for the tire and wheel package you are going to use and can offer it with C6 or IFS front and Tri 4-bar, 4-bar or 3-link rear, all with coil overs or shockwaves. The biggest downside is that there are floor mods required since the footwells dip down on these cars. Give and take.....

Anyway, that's what we have, and that's where we are going. Hope this helps with your decision.
Old Apr 29th, 08, 5:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

I just saw a Swartz chassis on either lateral g or pro touring in the last week that was for sale. I think someone bought a bunch parts and they are abandoning the project. You might check that out to save some $$

If only the damn trees weren't so addicted to that poisonous gas Carbon Dioxide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: Art Morrison "Max-G" Chassis
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.