1965 Malibu SS 283 powerglide - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

Old Feb 5th, 08, 3:22 PM
Tech Team

Default 1965 Malibu SS 283 powerglide

I am ready to move on to something else -at least I think I am. I bought the car in pieces and put it back together with new floor pans, trunk pans, new suspension pieces, brakes etc., I want to sell the car as a roller and leave the drag/performance suspension on it

Suspension(all parts are in near new condition):
rear:
UMI spherical rod ended upper and lower rear control arms with relocation brackets
Wolfe spherical housing bushings
moog stock rear springs and new stock shocks
hotchkis rear sway bar

front:
moroso trick springs
lakewood 90/20 shocks
complete pst poly front end kit
hotchkis front sway bar

Steering and brakes:
stock manual steering sector
new drag link and tie rods
wilwood disk brakes up front and stock drums in back
wilwood master cylinder

interior:
I have new seat covers for the front buckets and the rear seat, but have not installed them
The door panels are new and installed
It has nearly new carpet
the console is in good shape and I have all the pieces to it
There are no door seals and the weatherstripping is all the original stuff that needs to be replaced

Exterior:
-The paint is an old lacquer job that is still shiny when polished but by no means perfect.
-There is some small rust spots in the door jambs and the lower corner on a door.
-My next steps were to put small patch panels around the rear wheel wells and lower door corner as well as the door jamb. I do not think any of the rust is major.
-I have all the original trim, but it is not installed. Most of it needs polished and most of it does not need replaced. The lower rocker trim is in great shape but needs polished.

Engine/drivetrain:
-It will come with a 283 with a factory aluminum intake and the original carb.
-The 283 looks like it dropped a valve and I am not sure if it is standard bore. I have kept it covered in my shop since I got the car 4 years ago.
-The powerglide is in unknown condition
- The 12 bolt is a 68-72 with 4.11 gears and a mini spool.

I will sell it with steel wheels and used tires

All of the work to the underside was done right and supervised by a professional. The underside and interior is treated and painted with either por 15 in most places and black epoxy in other places. It was painted seam sealed on a rotisserie and all of the structural work was done with the tub setup on the pinch welds.

The frame was sandblasted and treated with metal ready then sprayed with por15. The underside of the car clean and looks good.

I bought the car for 3200 a few years ago and it came with a 396 and good turbo 350. I sold the big block and tranny to a friend so I made some money back. I am not looking to make a killing on the car, but I want to sell it for a fair price. If I sell the car like I am talking about, I have spent probably $4000 on the parts(suspension, interior, brakes, rear end, sheet metal) and many, many labor hours(all in fun though!) on the sheet metal and assembly.

So, with all that being said, what should I ask for the car?
Advertisement

Old Feb 6th, 08, 10:06 AM
Tech Team

Default Re: 1965 Malibu SS 283 powerglide

$7000?
$6000?
$5000?

The car is fast enough now that I am a fool for not having a cage(in the 6's in the eight). I am not going to cut this car and make it a full on race car. I do not have enough money and time at this point in my life to have a race car, a nice car, and a daily driver, so I need to let this one go to someone that will make it a nice car.
Old Feb 6th, 08, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Jeff

Default Re: 1965 Malibu SS 283 powerglide

Pics might help get you more responses. $7k might be a place to start and figure out what you are willing to take. I am only guessing here though.

The TC Search >> HOW-TO

TC photo >> HOW-TO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > What's it worth?      Current Topic: 1965 Malibu SS 283 powerglide
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.