SBC 454 vs BBC 454 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Feb 3rd, 08, 10:18 PM
Tech Team

Default SBC 454 vs BBC 454

Looking to up grade my race motor, I currently have a sbc 383. I want you guys opinion about what is better a sbc 454 or bbc 454? What are the advantages and disadvantages on performance. Can I make the same power from a sbc 454 as bbc 454 can? Thanks Andy
68RS/SS,383,13.5:1cr,9"/4.57 gears,Bow Tie intake ported to heads,Brodix TK1 heads,fullyport,950HP Pro Systems with 1" spacer,cam,252int./264exh.@.050,.672,672 lift,1.6rr,TH400 foot break,5000 hughes 8"stall, 3000 lbs race weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 3rd, 08, 10:25 PM
Tech Team
norval

Default Re: SBC 454 vs BBC 454

I would look at heads. Can the small block heads feed a 454 small block or would a good set of larger castings build around the bigblock work better? If you are boring and stroking a small block that much why not just do the same to a bigblock and get way more then 454? How about a easy build 540???

Is the stroked small block just a mimitation big block, a phone trying to act like it's big brother??? Is the beef in the small block around the crank sufficient to handle the power???
If you want bigblock cubes and power why not just build a bigblock??
I did
Old Feb 3rd, 08, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Paul

you have to think about weight too, you may not make the same power but you will have like 300 lbs off the frontend. Personally I would run with the big block. Even if you don't stroke it. If you have a good comp ratio, good heads, cam, tranny and gears. You will have more fun that you will with a small block
Old Feb 3rd, 08, 11:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROWARRIOR View Post
Looking to up grade my race motor, I currently have a sbc 383. I want you guys opinion about what is better a sbc 454 or bbc 454? What are the advantages and disadvantages on performance. Can I make the same power from a sbc 454 as bbc 454 can? Thanks Andy
That's a huge question.

Since you're already running a small block, the accessories when changing to a big block will cost you, staying with a small block will cost less (not considering a header upgrade, etc) and will keep added weight off the front end. I think the bbc/sbc weight difference is closer to 150# given both engines use aluminum heads and intake.

If you're specifically looking at 454 cu in, then the big block is going to make more power than the small block for the same money, since you can use a core 454 longblock and build 600 HP with a lot of the stock components whereas the small block will require everything to be aftermarket. The World 454 comes to mind, but that is a risky race engine. I feel the safe limit for the aftermarket block is a 434 (4x4.155) and to build a 454 you should be looking at a tall deck small block. Once you go down that alley, as much as I'm a hardcore small block guy, I feel you're much better off building a 565 big block where the potential is infinitely greater with stronger components. 900 HP with a well built 565 big block using all shelf stock components (aftermarket cam/pistons/cnc heads/etc) is reasonably easy and relatively inexpensive compared to what it takes to build a tall deck small block since it is a far more common build.

I would look at building a 427/434 small block if your goals aren't that lofty to keep the weight balance the same in your car, but big goals require big cubes.

What is your current ET/MPH, and where do you want to be? BTW, that cam is seriously huge for a 383, I had that in my 407 (14.5:1) and swapped to a custom roller roughly 10 degrees smaller and picked up a tenth or better at the track.
Old Feb 4th, 08, 12:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Andy,

What are your ET/MPH or HP goals? What is your cars raceweight?

I'm a fairly diehard SBC guy.

Why the limit to a 454 BBC? As was mentioned, a 454 SBC shortblock is going to cost the same as a 565 BBC shortblock.

On the BBC you can make 900+ HP with conventional BBC heads that are readily available. For the SBC to make 800+ you are going to have to spend a significant amount on the heads/cam/intake to get there. A REAL, REAL good 18 deg. head at a minimum.

Here's my big cube SBC junk:

http://members.aol.com/jgchevelle/engine.html

If you are talking stock blocks for both the SBC and BBC..........I'd probably build a 496 BBC.
3555 lbs
1.40 - 60', 6.18 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
Old Feb 4th, 08, 12:33 AM
Banned
Butch

Flip a coin, head technology these days from Dart and Brodix

For the small block, Dart little chief heads, for the big block cnc ported pro 1's or Brodix ported heads out of the box
Old Feb 4th, 08, 12:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave 383 now

I hate answering these questions since I like small blocks,,,So a 454 BB or SB, here is my answer the Big Block is going to make more power just because the BB heads outflow the SB heads by alot. I bet a stock set of BB heads like the 781's will outflow alot of aftermarket 23' heads. I have a 427 small block in my Chevelle still haven't crossed that line yet to put a BB in my car yet.

Dave
Launch Pic

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p.../IMG_00751.jpg
Old Feb 4th, 08, 1:15 AM
mike

If you want a small block to make big block power the answer is 'boost'
Then you could probably keep the 383
Old Feb 4th, 08, 1:38 AM
Tech Team
Mike Knudson

Send a message via AIM to knudsonm

The BBC should make more power, that is unless an aftermarket company pays a magazine to build a mismatched POS 454 BBC to get beat by said aftermarket company's ringer 454SBC.
Old Feb 4th, 08, 11:56 AM
Tech Team
Robert

Why not a bigger BBC like 496+? A 496 on loaf will run with a 454 SBC with more money spent by a long shot!!
Old Feb 4th, 08, 12:22 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROWARRIOR View Post
To me it would be a question of how many rpm's you are going to turn the engine.
If you say 7,500 + out of the SBC 454 then you would have to look at an 18* head or a 15* degree head.
The other question is why build a 454 when you can build a 496 for the same money out of the stock low deck BBC block???
Old Feb 4th, 08, 1:48 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
If you want a small block to make big block power the answer is 'boost'
Then you could probably keep the 383
"Boost" does help these little guys act bigger

Old Feb 5th, 08, 12:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Squido(skee-doe

Hmmm Lets see.
454 Small Block nice sleeper, looks like a 307 Top of the line parts.

572 Big Block Better sleeper, looks like a 396 Middle of the road parts. Tiebreaker..... WOW Factor for Big Block.

Ask any die hard big block gearhead. They will tell you which is better. Throw in an aluminum water pump and aluminum radiator and Mini starter to keep weight down to small block Lbs. Alumuinum Heads are a given.
in progress
68 Malibu 454, th400, 12 bolt 411 MegaSquirt
79 350 Vette
80 350 Vette
70 F**d 250 pick-up
Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.
Old Feb 5th, 08, 2:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

I'd say it doesn't matter - you will eventually go to the big block for the same reason you're migrating from the 383 to a 454. The 454 will become a 496, then a 540, etc etc. Might as well just get the BB now.

1970 SS396
Lewis Racing Engines (Wolfplace) 489:
634 HP @ 6000rpm
627 Lb-ft @ 4,000rpm

ProSystems SV1
Gear Vendors Overdrive
Moser 12 Bolt
Alumitech Radiator
Pypes Exhaust

Dyno
'70 Chevelle
'70 Chevelle 2
Old Feb 5th, 08, 3:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

If max power is the objective, big block, 540 minimum.
If streetability is a big concern, check out what's being done with the LS engines. One of my buddies at Scoggin-Dickey has had a customer build two 427's (4.07 bore x 4.1 stroke). With a 230/238 hydraulic roller and out of the box L92 heads, they made 602hp at 6200 and barely had a hint of lope at idle. I watched a LSX454 dyno at 750hp, again with a hydraulic roller cam. Dollar for dollar, these things are tough to beat, and if you stick with an aluminum block, handling and overall weight are both improved.

'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks,
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
You better run!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: SBC 454 vs BBC 454
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.