My 2nd One Piece Oil Pan Gasket is Leaking Again!??? Help! - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jun 2nd, 04, 12:09 AM
Tech Team
Ryan

Hello again, if you don't remember me I was asking about putting a Milodon 7 quart oil pan on my 350 in my Monte months back and I finally did and I used FelPro's 1 piece oil pan gasket PN OS34509T I think and it leaked like crazy a week later but not from the front or back or corners, from the sides!? I figured I had tightend the bolts too tight because it only says 18ft lbs on the corners and 8ft. lbs. on the rails and I know for sure I did more than 8 on the rails. I called Fel-Pro and they said I could have definately mushroomed the gasket by over tightening So I went ahead, took the pan back off and got ANOTHER $35 Fel Pro 1 piece gasket and straightend out the oil pan rails that were barely even dimpled in (only some holes were from where I had overtightended it) and put the pan back on and only snugged the rail bolts (about 8 ft lbs) after I had tightened the corners to 18ft lbs. And right after I drove it it leaked like crazy still, still from the sides. I fired it up and got underneath and started tightening the bolts on the SIDE where I saw oil leak and the leaks slowly went away and I was only down to 3 bolts that oil was coming out around (near the back of the pan).

So I took a gasket maker called "The Right Stuff" and pulled those three bolts out and put some on them and the leak is very slow but still leaking. What should I do?

Someone said the pan is warped now that I overtightened it but thats hard to believe because I straightened it and even if it wasn't perfect, that darn gasket is thick and should make up for it.

Is it just the one piece gasket or am I doing something wrong? I thought about going back to the stock gasket. Before taking it back off again I thought about getting those rails that go along the rails of the pan and the bolts hold them to the rails of the pan to make sure the pan is flush, I think Moroso makes them. Should I try this??

I definately need help, thanks a lot.

Ryan Washington
www.RyansCustoms.com
Ryan@RyansCustoms.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 2nd, 04, 3:23 AM
Tech Team
Scott

I had some unstoppable leaks too with my Felpro 1pc.
Went to a SCE 1pc gasket. Summit sells them.
It has metal inserts. You'll break the bolts before you'll tweak the pan. Assuming it's straight

Well went away for a while. Went to a chasis dyno and picked one up while on the rollers. wtf
Don't think it's the pan this time. Had probs with front cover too. So just how big do the dowl holes need to be?

Old Jun 2nd, 04, 3:24 AM
Tech Team
Scott

Edit: now I hit stop before I hit post again.
Old Jun 2nd, 04, 8:07 AM
Senior Tech Team

We tried the Fel-pro one peice gasket once did like the way they fit and went back to the Corteco p/n 16635 they use to be called Detroit gaskets. We build a lot of engines and that seems to be the best pan gasket for us to use.
Old Jun 2nd, 04, 8:14 AM
Team Member
Joe

I went back to the conv. pan gasket, still have the Felpro 1 pc. [ sitting on the shelf ]. The 1 pc. did not fit well aroung the timing cover and just from sitting on the stand I got a drip from the hole at the bottum of the timing cover when we prelubed the motor - the 1 pc. barely covered this hole. Conv. gasket is installed, dry as a bone.
Old Jun 2nd, 04, 8:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I have used the FelPro #1405 one-piece gasket on two different 350's, both with stock oil pans. Neither has ever leaked.
Old Jun 2nd, 04, 9:30 AM
Team Member
Dan

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
My engine builder used the FelPro one piece on my BB and it has never leaked anywhere. I've done two cam swaps and it hasn't even leaked around the timing cover. Definitely works for me.

Dan
Old Jun 2nd, 04, 9:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

One piece Felpro on my BBC here..No problems.I installed it with the motor in the car too.
Old Jun 2nd, 04, 10:45 AM
Team Member
Joe

Chris,
I remember you asking about this. What timing cover do you have on the motor? I had a heck of a time trying to get the Milidon replacement pan to pull up to the timing cover on mine.
Old Jun 2nd, 04, 1:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Ryan,
I posted this in the engine section but here it is again.

You ain't doing anything wrong.
I have quit using the FelPro on aftermarket pans.
If you look at the bolt holes in the gasket they are too big (5/16") & on a lot of aftermarket pans the little anti crush rings will hang into the inside of the pan & oil runs right through them.
You can usually seal it by pulling the bolts that are leaking & putting either your "Right Stuff" or Silicone in the hole after brake cleaning it good & blowing it out & then putting the bolt back in.
Let it sit for a few hours before starting.

Or, I have a different 1pc gasket I use that has the right size holes (1/4") & is also less money
But even with this one I have had to seal a couple bolts with aftermarket pans on
occasion
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

Old Jun 2nd, 04, 2:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Joe,I have the just a cheap chrome cover that's actually beeen good to me.
Old Jun 2nd, 04, 2:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kris

If possible can lay the pan on the mounting surface. If it rocks then there is something getting in the way of it fitting correctly. I used a stud set instead of a bolt set and found it to work better.
I know the frustration of leaks. Just about everything I have installed on my 70 Monte has leaked. You think you have it figured out and then you look under the car in the morning only to see drips on the newspaper!
Old Jun 3rd, 04, 6:07 AM
Tech Team

NO more Milidon pans for this guy!!!!!!
Old Jun 4th, 04, 4:23 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to young gun '71
I just add more pooky on both surfaces on everything I try to seal [img]tongue.gif[/img] about the thickness of my little finger and then let it sit bolted together and come back a few hours later tighten it about an 1/8 and trim off the excess glue a few days later. BTW I use about a half a tube of RTV on valve covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: My 2nd One Piece Oil Pan Gasket is Leaking Again!??? Help!
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.