Negative experiences with the ZZ502? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Dec 26th, 07, 9:53 PM
Tech Team

Default Negative experiences with the ZZ502?

Does anyone have any negative experiences first or secondhand, with the ZZ502? Excessive oil consumption, poor workmanship, etc? I am considering purchasing one and just want to do my homework. My plans are to add a Holley C950 EFI to it. Strictly street use. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old Dec 26th, 07, 9:57 PM
Banned
Butch

Default Re: Negative experiences with the ZZ502?

I did hear of some very minor wrist pin noise one time, other than that i know of 3 people with no issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 26th, 07, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

They're not torque plate honed from the factory and I've heard they use low tension rings. I've heard of a few 454's and 502's that had some blow-by/oil consumption issues that were taken care of by a torque plate hone and ring replacement.

'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks,
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
You better run!
Old Dec 26th, 07, 10:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to driver

I have owned two of the zz502's and have never had a problem one.The one now in my nova runs 9.68 in the 1/4 on a hit of nitrous.(175) The 1st one I had ran a 10.97 on the motor and the one now runs 10.68 on the motor. I bought the short block and added a bigger cam and eddy ovals.. I think they are a very strong motor..
Front2

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT
Old Dec 26th, 07, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Yep...it's SLOW out of the box!! Seriously, it's got a lot of great parts..but it needs a cam to get some power,,plus a little compression. A buddy put one in my old 68 SS/RS Camaro. I ran that car for years with a GM oval port 427, single plane and solid flat tappet cam and pump gas. When I drove the ZZ502 I was very surprised to find the 427 would have spanked it all day long and the 502 was completely out of steam before 5500 rpm!

If you get it, save some $$$ back for a cam and some head milling. Once you spiff it up a little it will run killer!

JIM

9.90@141.40

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=Jim3.mp4

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=Jim4.mp4

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
Old Dec 27th, 07, 9:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

I was expecting someone to say "Yeah it's got too much torque as I can't keep a set of rear tires to last longer than a week."
Old Dec 27th, 07, 11:56 AM
Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Hotrod View Post
Yep...it's SLOW out of the box!! Seriously, it's got a lot of great parts..but it needs a cam to get some power,,plus a little compression. A buddy put one in my old 68 SS/RS Camaro. I ran that car for years with a GM oval port 427, single plane and solid flat tappet cam and pump gas. When I drove the ZZ502 I was very surprised to find the 427 would have spanked it all day long and the 502 was completely out of steam before 5500 rpm!

If you get it, save some $$$ back for a cam and some head milling. Once you spiff it up a little it will run killer!

JIM
True, I ran the stock form for 4 years and it was always done pulling by the 1/8th mile. This motor has gave me no problems and with a new solid roller set up from Chris Straub and head work done it runs really good like a champ.
CSTRAUB Solid Roller
Old Dec 27th, 07, 2:18 PM
Tech Team

Thanks for the help guys
Old Dec 27th, 07, 6:23 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Cool Re: Negative experiences with the ZZ502?

I have had mine in my monte for over 5 years...I get on it alot when driving it and take it to the track regularly. It runs 11.90's at 113+mph with the heavy monte and I have done nothing to it (the motor) and I mean nothing...not even carb tuning.

I will have to say it runs very strong and is dependable...and has much room to make it go faster...
3 1/2" full exhaust, electric cut-outs, no cross-over pipe, 2-Chamber Race Delta Flow 40 series mufflers.
Looking at adding a 66 Chevelle to my garage when I come across the right one...
Old Dec 27th, 07, 7:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

I have installed 3 502's in cars, all of them have been awesome out of the box. The first thing we upgrade is the 850 vacuum secondary carb. We put a 850 HO from AED they wake up the engine big time. I wish GM would put a proper oil pan on them, most of the buyers are putting them in Chevelles, Camaro's, Nova;s etc.

Dave
Old Dec 27th, 07, 7:40 PM
Tech Team
Dave

I have been very happy with my 502. With a set of Performer RPM heads, Performer RPM manifold, Comp Cams 232/237 @ 050 (advertised duration 280/288), with .547 lift and a Holley 850, it has ran a best 1/8th mile at 7.54. Mine is a Gen V.. I have heard about them having low tension ring issues, but I have heard that the current 502's do not have the issue. I am in the process of upgrading mine with a Chris Straub cam and a set of the AFR 305's right now. I am looking to get about 650hp out of it. I am also going to have the heads milled to get a little more C/R out of it.
1/8 - 6.83 @ 100mph
1/4 - 10.73 @ 124

Pro Streeted '56 Chevy..
http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/a...nmon1/Nasty56/

New Car - 7 Second Turbo'd Mustang

http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/a...rbo%20Mustang/
Old Dec 27th, 07, 9:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Outta the crate with factory timing specs and supplied 850 vs carb..it is a sheep in wolfs clothing.We have yet to swap out the weeny marine hydraulic roller and springs..but an 850 dp and 14* initial 36* total helped it for now.I think a baby big block 396 could swallow this cam all day long.I agree with the above.Strong rotating assy,decent heads(eddy rovals),but weak cam/spring combo.

8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
Old Feb 14th, 09, 6:17 PM
Joe

Angry Re: Negative experiences with the ZZ502?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger0199 View Post
Does anyone have any negative experiences first or secondhand, with the ZZ502? Excessive oil consumption, poor workmanship, etc? I am considering purchasing one and just want to do my homework. My plans are to add a Holley C950 EFI to it. Strictly street use. Thanks.
Yes, I have a negative for the ZZ502.
I bought one & although it runs extremely strong it uses excessive oil, real excessive like a quart every 200 miles! Another thing to consider is making sure whoever you buy it from will stand behind it. I bought mine from Scoggin Dickey in Lubbock Texas. That's "Scoggin Dickey" in Lubbock Texas & although it is still under warrantee I cannot get them interested in helping me with this oil problem. I called GM about it & they are more willing to help but act as the middle man which is basically no help if the seller is unwilling to assist. I see several comments from people with no issues but realize you can be un-lucky like I was. I won't buy another unless I pull the chrome moly rings out and replace with cast because that is where I think the problem is. The chrome are very hard to seat in properly.
Old Feb 14th, 09, 6:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplar55 View Post
Yes, I have a negative for the ZZ502.
I bought one & although it runs extremely strong it uses excessive oil, real excessive like a quart every 200 miles! Another thing to consider is making sure whoever you buy it from will stand behind it. I bought mine from Scoggin Dickey in Lubbock Texas. That's "Scoggin Dickey" in Lubbock Texas & although it is still under warrantee I cannot get them interested in helping me with this oil problem. I called GM about it & they are more willing to help but act as the middle man which is basically no help if the seller is unwilling to assist. I see several comments from people with no issues but realize you can be un-lucky like I was. I won't buy another unless I pull the chrome moly rings out and replace with cast because that is where I think the problem is. The chrome are very hard to seat in properly.
I think you would have even more reports of 502's buring oil, but alot of folks dont really put alot of miles on their cars per year, so they dont really know how much oil these things are burning.

The real issue IMO, is the bore distortion. The Gen6 454/ 502 tend to have pretty flimsy cylinders (at least compared to the bowties and even vintage blocks), and a plate hone is very necessary. The low-tension oil rings dont help. I had my 454 plate honed and re-rung after a couple of 1000 miles, as I was using about a qt. every 100 miles, and now I use about a qt every 1000miles, which I can deal with. Plugs still a little wet/sooty, but now where near as bad. My machinist only took .0005 out for the plate hone, which really is not enough to get it perfectly straight...needs more like .004, but I didnt want to buy pistons. Its a shame cause this thing really runs sweet.

So I cant recommend a crate motor to anybody after my own experience...not a BB GM crate motor anyway...unless they change the program.

PS - I was at my machine shop, and couldnt believe how much thicker a vintage MKIV blocks deck was compared to my 454's...seemed like twice as thick!
Old Feb 14th, 09, 7:10 PM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

I'm surprised by the limited number of comments re the oil burning issues. This has been a well-known problem with these engines.

the ring grooves in the pistons are cut shallow for the low tension rings and won't accept normal rings.

Vince was that you that posted the pics of the cylinder walls and puddles of oil in the cylinders?
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Negative experiences with the ZZ502?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.