Ford Crown Vic Blown Head Gasket Question - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Dec 23rd, 07, 4:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Default Ford Crown Vic Blown Head Gasket Question

Sorry for the non-chevelle question, but my father-in-laws 96 Crown Vic blew a head gasket and I could use some help. Looking to have this repaired by a local garage and was wondering how many hours it should take and approximately how much? Like to get an idea before I start calling garages so I know what to expect.

Thanks,

Bart
Advertisement

Old Dec 23rd, 07, 7:58 PM
Tech Team

Default Re: Ford Crown Vic Blown Head Gasket Question

Bart I work on crown vic police cars The 4.6 is rough to work on( IMO horrible issues. Chances are there is way more than the head gasket problem if not cought VERY early Before going too far on that engine-do other checks 1st-Plastic Intake? cracked? Notorious problem How many miles? Oil useage? I have replaced so many of the 4.6's and lost tons of money on them too 2 just came in.sad: slight motor noise Forget it I'm done with them There being shipped off to the auction to raise someone else's blood pressure After I fix the motors then the trans goes out or the fuel pump from sitting( RUN AWAY FAST MY FRIEND:yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 23rd, 07, 8:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Racer View Post
Bart I work on crown vic police cars The 4.6 is rough to work on( IMO horrible issues. Chances are there is way more than the head gasket problem if not cought VERY early Before going too far on that engine-do other checks 1st-Plastic Intake? cracked? Notorious problem How many miles? Oil useage? I have replaced so many of the 4.6's and lost tons of money on them too 2 just came in.sad: slight motor noise Forget it I'm done with them There being shipped off to the auction to raise someone else's blood pressure After I fix the motors then the trans goes out or the fuel pump from sitting( RUN AWAY FAST MY FRIEND:yes
We probably only drove about 3 to 4 miles, noticed the smoke and smell of antifreeze on the way home from dinner. It is my father-in-laws car, has 105,000 miles, no problems that I know of. They are retired missionaries from Africa so not a lot of money to buy another car. Hope that it does not cost to much to fix.

Thanks,

Bart
Old Dec 23rd, 07, 8:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Bart,

I think you can expect to pay between 10-12 hours labor for customer pay. As Budget Racer suggests I would check the engine throughly before sinking a lot of money into it. What failed on the head gasket did the engine over heat? if so you could be opening a can of worms. If the car is in good condition and he wants to keep it perhaps a re manufactured engine with a warranty might be worth looking into.

Rich
Old Dec 23rd, 07, 8:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart42 View Post
We probably only drove about 3 to 4 miles, noticed the smoke and smell of antifreeze on the way home from dinner. It is my father-in-laws car, has 105,000 miles, no problems that I know of. They are retired missionaries from Africa so not a lot of money to buy another car. Hope that it does not cost to much to fix.

Thanks,

Bart
Bart

Was the smoke and smell of antifreeze coming from the tailpipe or the engine compartment? Did the engine overheat?

Rich
Old Dec 23rd, 07, 9:17 PM
Banned
Butch

Theyhave problems with the water passage of the intake manifold cracking {if plastic} on the drivers side, if it is this it will set you back about $900 for an intake from FORD and when you pull it out of the box there is a picture of where your plastic intake is leaking, I know, this sucks they should warranty it but they dont
Old Dec 23rd, 07, 10:24 PM
Paul

What is that??

$750 to a Grand plus parts??

Funny, $900 for a $50 injection moulded plastic part!!

There you go.. $2,000 or so..................

You can warranty it!! DON'T buy anything from FORD!!

I'm warrantying GM now!!! Sure the heck, ain't buying anymore of their actual GM crap!!

Rebadges if good enough like the Metros and the Corolla, a possible maybe!!

pdq67
Old Dec 23rd, 07, 11:30 PM
Banned
Butch

pdq67

I think the last revised intake i bought cost me like $818, and thats wholesale cost
Old Dec 24th, 07, 1:04 AM
Tech Team

Dorman part#615178 cost $220-250-How do you know the head gasket is blown? Is there ANY water in the oil? If it was mine under the circumstances with those miles I'd probably go for it as long as routine maintenance was done. Check oil change records! Pull a valve cover off-If lots of nasty sludge buildup-Forget about it-seek a reman motor. I would not change the heads for 7-9 hrs. labor! NO WAY-LOL! Of course this reply is just my opinion! Did I tell ya'll how much I love the 4.6's? HE HE! I hope you let us know more about what all you find out. Good luck!
Old Dec 24th, 07, 6:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Janets Ride" View Post
Bart

Was the smoke and smell of antifreeze coming from the tailpipe or the engine compartment? Did the engine overheat?

Rich
Hard to tell where the smell of antifreeze was coming from. I was in the car with both in-laws and my wife and the wife was freaking out thinking the car was on fire. It seemed to be coming from the engine compartment. When we got home and opened the hood there was antifreeze everywhere, even leaking from the insulation at the back of the hood. It didn't appear the car overheated according to the guages, soon as I got off of the highway I turned the heat up to max and on the way home, noticed the temp guage creeping up but did not get too hot. Probably only drove at most 4 miles after it happened. I think it happened when I was passing slow traffic right before my exit, a little bit of acceleration to get by the traffic but nothing extreme.

Wish me luck today when I start talking to garages. Hopefully I can find one of them open today.

Thanks,
Old Dec 24th, 07, 9:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart42 View Post
Hard to tell where the smell of antifreeze was coming from. I was in the car with both in-laws and my wife and the wife was freaking out thinking the car was on fire. It seemed to be coming from the engine compartment. When we got home and opened the hood there was antifreeze everywhere, even leaking from the insulation at the back of the hood. It didn't appear the car overheated according to the guages, soon as I got off of the highway I turned the heat up to max and on the way home, noticed the temp guage creeping up but did not get too hot. Probably only drove at most 4 miles after it happened. I think it happened when I was passing slow traffic right before my exit, a little bit of acceleration to get by the traffic but nothing extreme.

Wish me luck today when I start talking to garages. Hopefully I can find one of them open today.

Thanks,
Sound like the intake did crack and loose coolant. I don't know how much negotiation you will be able to do with the cost being the part is expensive. Ford TSB 02-2-2

Good Luck,Rich.
Old Dec 24th, 07, 11:00 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Janets Ride" View Post
Sound like the intake did crack and loose coolant. I don't know how much negotiation you will be able to do with the cost being the part is expensive. Ford TSB 02-2-2

Good Luck,Rich.
And from another post "I know, this sucks they should warranty it but they dont"

Uhmmm, it's a 12 year old car. Why on earth should they be expected to warranty the repair or negotiate the price?
Ford did cover many of the cracked intake manifolds when these cars were newer (but not enough, IMHO).
The Dorman part is $249 and replacement pays about 3 hours. That would be about $180 (at $60/hr) at an independent shop. $500 would be a more realistic estimate than ~$1000.
Old Dec 24th, 07, 11:59 AM
Paul

Did Ford ever CORRECTLY fix their '90's DIZZY problems that I think they had a class action law suit on??

I think my B-i-L put a couple a dizzies on an old Crown Vic he had back then through the years.. Something like a 17 percent failure rate over time...............

pdq67
Old Dec 24th, 07, 12:07 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Did Ford ever CORRECTLY fix their '90's DIZZY problems that I think they had a class action law suit on??

I think my B-i-L put a couple a dizzies on an old Crown Vic he had back then through the years.. Something like a 17 percent failure rate over time...............

pdq67
Yep. It wasn't the dizzy itself, just the ignition module. It all came down to not enough thermal grease on the back of the TFI module. They recalled a few million of them. The aftermarket modules now fail very often because they supply dielectric grease and not thermal grease with the part.
Old Dec 24th, 07, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Had the car looked at and it was the intake manifold. Expensive to fix, but what are you going to do? Sell the car and take a beating? Or fix it and pray it does not happen again? Right now we are going with the fix it and pray option.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Ford Crown Vic Blown Head Gasket Question
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.