Best fit headers - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Dec 12th, 07, 2:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Trey

Default Best fit headers

Have any of you used either of these two headers on a '69 chevelle with a BBC that has power stering? The 1st one is Hooker's full length with 2" primary, summit part # HOK-2455-1HKR. Or Patriots full length header with 2" primary, part # PTE-H8026-1. How is the fit? Do they have to be dimpled to fit? Can you get to the header bolts and spark plugs ok? How is the Ceramic coating holding up? I'm currently using a set of hedman's 1 3/4" ceramic coated headers. I pulled the engine last week and took a good look at the inside diamitor of the header tubs and the exhaust ports on the heads. The inside diamitor of the headers is 1 5/8" and the id of the exhaust port is 1 3/4". So the header pipe is overlaping the exhaust port about 1/8" (You were right Bob). That is why I think I should go to a 2" header. The Hooker and the Patriot headers are $370.00. The 2" hedman's are $502.00. If any of you have used these headers, I would like to hear your imput on them. Thanks, Trey

Silver '72 chevelle
street/strip, 496 BBC
3:73 gears
Best 60' - 1.36
Best 1/4 et - 9.91
Best mph 132
All Motor
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2518078
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...0/ppuser/19137
"And by the way, turn your hat around straight and pull up your pants. You look like an idiot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 12th, 07, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brett

Default Re: Best fit headers

My hooker super comps with 2" primaries fit great, unfortunately my car is lowered so the bottom are smacked up good. They did clear everything else great and you can still get to all the plugs. I will defiantly be going a different route this summer. My car is about your height, I would not go with the hooker super comps.

Pic of Car: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...5/DSCN0827.jpg
Pic of 468:http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...5/IMG_0233.jpg

1966 Triple Black Chevelle
327, TKO600, EFI, 4.11:1

Pic of Car: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...5/DSCN1706.jpg
Old Dec 12th, 07, 2:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via MSN to Whiskey

I have the 2 inch hookers in my 68. The brake proportioning valve will need to be moved. Most move it to the top of the frame rail. If your heads have raised exhaust ports they will hit the rear mounting points for the lower control arms. I solved this buy modifying a set of BB motor mounts to move the engine forward 3/8 inch.
Bill
Hooker headers
Art Carr 200R4 w/3500 stall
3:90 Posi

72 SS 454
Hooker Headers
400 turbo
3:31 gears
Old Dec 12th, 07, 2:42 PM
Team Member
Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I have the 2 inch hookers in my 68. The brake proportioning valve will need to be moved. Most move it to the top of the frame rail. If your heads have raised exhaust ports they will hit the rear mounting points for the lower control arms. I solved this buy modifying a set of BB motor mounts to move the engine forward 3/8 inch.
Bill
I also have the same Hookers with ceramic coating and they fit perfect, but as you said, I put the brake proportioning valve on the frame rail.

I am about to put on some AFR heads in a new motor. How much are your exhaust ports raised?
Old Dec 16th, 07, 6:14 PM
Glenn

I have a 1969 Chevelle,after the new BBC 454 went in,I bought 8,yes 8 pair of headers.The only pair that was a direct fit,with absolutely no problems were Hedman..They have a beautiful finish,Nice thick flanges..I have had them off and on several times with Percy's "dead soft" gaskets...use them forever,never a leak...and if you ever have to change the starter or take out the tranny it's a snap...Just my opinion,but they look great under the hood,going on 3 years now...
Old Dec 18th, 07, 4:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via MSN to Whiskey

Wildman, I am not sure how high they were but they are Merlins if that helps.
Bill
Hooker headers
Art Carr 200R4 w/3500 stall
3:90 Posi

72 SS 454
Hooker Headers
400 turbo
3:31 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Best fit headers
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.