Choosing header size - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Dec 2nd, 04, 6:16 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to OUChevelleSS
Just so I'm able to kind of walk on my own when trying to figure out something like this,

What factors do you take into consideration when trying to figure out header size? And then how do you know what size tubes, etc to choose?

Thanks..

'71 SS 350, Black w/ white stripes, now a '71 SS 454! Brodix Race Rite heads w/CNC, SRP pistons, ~10.2:1CR, 402A3LUN Solid cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley 850cfm double pumper, Tremec TKO-600 and a 4.11 posi 12-bolt rear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 2nd, 04, 6:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you go to www.headerdesign.com you can see what data they require for a header design. You need to sign in before you can use the calculator.

I have a program called Pipemax that calculates header designs and it asks for quite a bit of info like:

bore, stroke, rod length, valve configuration and size, peak power rpm, cam timing and lift.
Old Dec 2nd, 04, 8:52 PM
Tech Team

Unless you are building your own, which I assume that you are doing, the only factor is what is available.

We just bought a set of Patriot headers for our 1969 sbc. The biggest (maybe the only size) that we could find was 1 5/8." I would have preferred 1 3/4" but the smaller are probably fine. For a big block you will need larger.
Old Dec 2nd, 04, 9:14 PM
Team Member

Taylor,

There is a wealth of information on this website that should answer your questions

http://headersbyed.com/

Enjoy,

Gaz

Engine

My Business Card

95 Harley FLHR
Gaz,Mindy & the Bike
Old Dec 2nd, 04, 9:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West
Headers like carburetors,,,smaller is usually better [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old Dec 3rd, 04, 5:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss
Heres a answer racer1320 gave on another board. I would say his answer is pretty close.
>
>
>
Most everybody chooses headers that are too big right along with cams and carbs.

Smaller is better!

I also don't agree with the notion of sizing header primary tubes to cubic inches.

Primary tube size should be sized based on the HP a motor is making which in turn dictates where the powerband is/peak torque is achieved.

When you increase primary tube diameter you raise the RPM at which peak torque occurs!

500HP is 500HP regardless of whether it's made by a V6 or V8, 350 or 454 because it takes X amount of hot air to produce 500HP!

So do the math. My motor is making about 650HP at the flywheel and peak torque occurs about 4700 RPM.

Established trends tell us that for every 1/8" increase in primary tube size, we raise the torque peak 500 to 1000 RPM. Same trends reveal that for every 1/2" increase in collector size we raise the torque peak 250 to 500 RPM. So as you can see primary tube size is everything.

Length also comes into play but not to the extent of primary pipe diameter.

Here's my guidelines:

500HP and < use 1 5/8"
525 - 625HP use 1 3/4"
625 - 700HP use 1 7/8"
700 - 775HP use 2"
775 - 850HP use 2 1/8"
850 - 925HP use 2 1/4"
925 - 1000HP use 2 3/8"

MY 70SS
Old Dec 3rd, 04, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech Team

So you're saying ol' Ed would assume that my 500 hp one lunger needs a 1-5/8" tube? I don't think so. I agree with the assumption that most headers are too large in diameter, but there's a whole lot more to it than picking a number from a chart.

We're really not talking about diameter, we're talking about cross sectional area, and differences in area are quite large. The difference in CSA between a 1-5/8" tube and a 1-3/4" tube is about 17%. The difference between a 350" motor and a 410" motor is 17%. The difference between 9:1 compression and 10.5:1 compression is 17%. 17% is a lot of difference. Ed Henniman has some charts showing the CSA differences between tube sizes and the cost of making what he calls a 'two tube size error'.

Length is also more important than he makes it out to be. Would the headers from an 8500 rpm 283" Super Stock engine be the same for a 421" bracket motor making the same power at 6000 rpm? Probably not. The diameter would be similar, but the length would be quite different.

Would your engine be better off with an interference design or an independence design?
Old Dec 3rd, 04, 12:25 PM
Tech Team

Since we are putting in our .02 worth, you also get to choose between shorties and long tubes. We went with shorties because of the ground clearance issue.
Old Dec 3rd, 04, 9:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West
onovakind67...have you tried the smaller tubes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Choosing header size
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.