Dart BBC heads - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Nov 11th, 07, 8:08 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Default Dart BBC heads

Will I have a problem with Darts Iron Eagle big block heads and my standard headers on my 72 Chevelle? According to the head specs the exhaust port is raised .300 inches. Has anybody used these and if so can you tell me what you ran into when installing them?
Thanks for the help
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 11th, 07, 8:10 PM
Banned
Butch

Default Re: Dart BBC heads

My buddy just bought a set of dart iron eagle big block heads for his blown 502 he is building. I can let you know after christmas,he is putting {we} the engine together over the winter. The shortblock is complete. He bought the 345cc for higher rpm.
Old Nov 11th, 07, 8:21 PM
Tech Team
norval

.300 raised exhaust ports shouldn't hurt anything. I used a set of Brodix .600 riased ports and it put 3 of the plugs right into the header tubes. The headers fit fine but those 3 plugs couldn't be changed..
I feel .300 will not cause a problem.
Old Nov 11th, 07, 8:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Dont thet make a "shorty" sparkplug to help out?
Old Nov 11th, 07, 8:42 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Doesn't exhaust ports raised .300 mean that the headers will also be raised .300 inches higher in the chassis? I was just curious with that small amount has anybody seen any fitment problems with frame, floor or whatever else. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Also can somebody shed some light on the head bolts that need to be longer and the pushrods that need to be longer. I think the heads come with longer bolts, but how much longer do the pushrods need to be? I think only the intakes need to be longer if I am correct.
Thanks again for the replies.
Bill
Old Nov 11th, 07, 8:49 PM
Team Member
Jeremy

There is no absolute way to guess what length of pushrods you will need. When changing heads you should always measure. powerhouse products sells a good one.

70 Chevelle
383, AFR heads, voodoo hyd roller.
Best time 8.09 @ 88.49 MPH (1/8 mi.)

68 GTO 'vert factory 4-sp, rally gauges, hidden headlights
Old Nov 12th, 07, 8:50 PM
Tech Team
Paul

Bill,
I have Dart Pro 1's on my 496 and I believe they have identical outside dimensions as Iron Eagles. I know for a fact they have .300" raised exh. ports. I run 2" Hooker SUper Comps on my 69 Chevelle and I only needed to dimple a tube (I think #3) to clear the steering column. Other than that, no problems. I run the Dart recommended plugs and they are all easy to get to.

As for pushrods, get the correct tool and measure it when you get to that point. Then buy the correct pushrods. If you have enough skill to change a set of heads, you can measure the pushrod length -- it's really easy. Use either the adjustable pushrod tool (looks like an actual pushrod, with adjustable length), or one of those plastic jobs that sits on the rocker stud and looks like a rocker.

Lastly, make sure you use the EXACT part number / manufacturers that Dart recommends for the head bolts. Call them if you're not sure, because they need to be the correct length. I botched this once on a small block build. I used older Bowtie heads and there was some confusion as to which special head bolt kit I needed. I paid $100 for the kit and guess what... they were too short. I found this out the hard way when I pulled a set of threads out of the block during the install and had to helicoil the block. Not a good feeling when your buttoning up a motor and the torque wrench just goes limp.
11.15 @ 120.79 // 1.619 60' // pump gas // drive it to the track
-----------------
68 Firebird 400 Convertible

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=IMG_5232.jpg
Old Nov 12th, 07, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaljam View Post
Doesn't exhaust ports raised .300 mean that the headers will also be raised .300 inches higher in the chassis? I was just curious with that small amount has anybody seen any fitment problems with frame, floor or whatever else. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Also can somebody shed some light on the head bolts that need to be longer and the pushrods that need to be longer. I think the heads come with longer bolts, but how much longer do the pushrods need to be? I think only the intakes need to be longer if I am correct.
Bill
No, the raised port doesn't go straight up but out at a 45* angle. The headers should still fit although not as well. Lemons can build a set that fits everything.
Old Nov 12th, 07, 9:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I am running Dart 308 cc heads 2" super comps JUST touch the steering shaft yours may be different # 6 & 8 s/p are a challenge both to get to and to keep from burning the boot no floor pan interference. To address the s/p problem I copied a header gasket on to a piece of aluminum stock and cut ground and drilled a spacer flange that has helped with the boot problem and special s/p shorty sockets help the R&R of the plugs also get the ARP head bolt kit. There are pics in the sig you may be able to zoom in enough to see.

Mike Lewis street 572
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/
Holley HP EFI
Marcella Manifolds
Heads by Darin Morgan
Cam by UDHarold
.456 X 1.8/1.7
R2C Filters
www.r2cperformance
Ultra Carbon
www.ultra-carbon.com/
GF-5R,
TRZ FAB 9" 4.56 REM, Cryo Treated
4000 lb street car
My Showroom
Old Nov 13th, 07, 3:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaljam View Post
Bill
raising the exhaust ports caused a bunch o fitment problems on my 68-malibu.
i had to grind/trim both of the upper a-arms near the bushing to keep from rubbing the tubes on the 2"-super comps.
i had to grind/shorten a couple of the upper a-arm mounting bolts to the frame for the same rubbing problem.
tube had to be dented for steering shaft clearance.
the lower a-arm on the drivers side had to be clearanced for one tube as when the car was raised the a-arm contacted the tube.
had to make a special short plug socket out of a 1/2"-drive craftsman plug socket.
passenger side plugs are a p.i.t.a. to remove, #4 requires that the header be loose/off.
raising the ports also raises the header tubes up closer to the required special shorty plugs.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...erinstall4.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...-11-200715.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Dart BBC heads
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.