hydro boost brake system - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Nov 5th, 07, 11:48 PM
Tech Team
josh

Default hydro boost brake system

I am thinks of tring the new hydro boost brake system . My question is that if the power steering pump goes out do I lose my brakes.The kits look awsome, is it really worth the money? Are the gains dramatic or moderate thanks for the imput
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 6th, 07, 12:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Default Re: hydro boost brake system

It is waaaaaaaaaay worth the money!! It will put your head throught he windshield.
70 SS, Merlin III 540, TKO 600, cowl induction, 4:10 posi, monaco orange/blk stripes...SOLD
Old Nov 6th, 07, 12:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

It was the best investment into my car yet. Like night and day. I think if your engine is off or you loose you power steering pump you get a few shots that still have pressure. if you have used that it works like manual brakes. I know Hydratech has your question answered in more detail in their FAQ.
Old Nov 6th, 07, 1:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

I went with the poor mans hydraboost. A 68 manual disc front master cylinder. Works great in all conditions. Best of all only a 30 bucks swap.
Old Nov 6th, 07, 4:35 PM
Tech Team
Art

I've got a Diesel suburban and you get 2 shots of the pedal then that's about it.
05 G35x
Some Old Pictures - http://staging.launchfire.com/Artstemp/
Old Nov 6th, 07, 5:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ryan

There are two different types of hydroboost units. One uses the external accumulator and one uses an internal accumulator. The external ones are more common because the internal units are from the early designs. Typically, you get 3-4 pumps of the brake after engine shut-off. Well, actually, to be more correct, you get 3-4 pumps of POWER brakes after engine shut-off, alot of people misunderstand that.
Updated Pic 3
Old Nov 7th, 07, 2:35 AM
Tech Team
josh

thanks for the info great stuff !
Old Sep 19th, 08, 9:52 PM
Aaron

sorry to bust in on everyone's happy stories; but i've got a question about hydro boosters. I see a lot of people are using the astro boosters. I was wondering if there is someone that knows if a H1 hummer booster is the same. pretty much as far as i can tell and from working on both trucks, they look and perform the same. reason being is that i can get my hands on a hummer one for free, and need to know if its even worth the time. thank you.
Old Sep 19th, 08, 10:33 PM
Team Member

Hydratech hydroboost here and it was great....I would not hesitate to spend the $1k again...
Old Sep 20th, 08, 5:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

i love the hydroboost brakes in my 84 T Type- even with the puny little G body brakes, that thing stops. and the rear brakes hold 15psi of boost on the line if they are adjusted properly..
now, if i could only find someone to sell me a seal kit to stop my booster from leaking. i could get a different one from any number of places, but mines the original- and i've heard that the remans from Cardone are a crapshoot. actually, they just take your core, rebuild it, and send it right back to you- which means car downtime. if it's just gonna leak again anyways, i'd rather have $10 and an afternoon of my car being down instead of taking it out and sending it off and spending $150 and having the car down for 2 weeks or longer.

-Hank Hill
Old Sep 20th, 08, 10:49 AM
Team Member
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniz View Post
Hydratech hydroboost here and it was great....I would not hesitate to spend the $1k again...

Wow, they are up to a grand now??! When I purchased my Hydratech it was "only" around $700. Still a great investment. Awesome brakes. And if you shut of the motor, you do have 3 full power stops. I tested it.
Old Sep 20th, 08, 8:21 PM
Tech Team
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
i love the hydroboost brakes in my 84 T Type- even with the puny little G body brakes, that thing stops. and the rear brakes hold 15psi of boost on the line if they are adjusted properly..
now, if i could only find someone to sell me a seal kit to stop my booster from leaking. i could get a different one from any number of places, but mines the original- and i've heard that the remans from Cardone are a crapshoot. actually, they just take your core, rebuild it, and send it right back to you- which means car downtime. if it's just gonna leak again anyways, i'd rather have $10 and an afternoon of my car being down instead of taking it out and sending it off and spending $150 and having the car down for 2 weeks or longer.
There is a guy on E-Bay that sells a seal kit for about $30.00.
Old Sep 20th, 08, 9:59 PM
Tech Team

Got one from the guy on ebay. All rebuilt ,Came with three rods. I asked for the newer units like Hydratech uses. The newer ones 1996+ have that little sight glass on them. Most of the time it has something to do with anti lock brakes. Means nothing for us from what I learned...All the astros and newer hydroboosts are the same. The only difference is the accumulator. The silver large ones are spring loaded (older) and the silver is for mid size trucks , blue is for heavy duty. Here's the one I got. It looks very nice for only $125. I got a plate from Nick $100. About $150 in hoses and I'm into it for $375.... Much better than $700

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142090

I have a unit that I'm selling for $75 with the blue accumulator. Got it from a friend. never tried it though. It looks good though..Or rebuild it for $30 and it will be like new.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/power...mZ250297134042
Old Sep 20th, 08, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by y72ss View Post
There is a guy on E-Bay that sells a seal kit for about $30.00.
got a link?

-Hank Hill
Old Sep 21st, 08, 9:35 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
got a link?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2BSI%26otn%3D3

It's in the same one I posted before also. He kits and units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: hydro boost brake system
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.