cam for stock vortec heads - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Oct 27th, 07, 11:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Default cam for stock vortec heads

I just bought a set of 062 vortec heads. These are new in box. I really dont want to start swapping stuff on it. perfer to use them as is,. So, whats a good cam choice? car is a 2nd gen camaro. 400 motor, stock dished pistons, gears are 308 now, I might move to a 3.31 later. tranny is a auto. Ive got a 2400 holeshot coverter I can put in. or go to a muncie M20. car is a weekend driver. Im not looking for the last horsepower. intake that came with it, is a crosswind, airgap manifold. 750 eddy carb. thanks jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 07, 12:07 AM
Tech Team
Adam

Default Re: cam for stock vortec heads

If you are going with the stock heads, personally, I would not mess with trying to get as much lift as possible out of them. I have heard people say to stay under as little as .450 on lift with the heads stock. That being the case, you are left with some very mild cams. Your best bet may be to call comp or some other company and tell them what you are looking for as far as performance goes. They may be able to come up with something with ~.450 lift that will still retain some high end performance. Other people on the site will also have good recommendations.

Adam
Old Oct 28th, 07, 12:17 AM
Senior Tech Team

Im just trying to avoid "more's law". More cam=more springs=more money. More cam, might as well throw more piston=more $$$. The car runs great now, stock 400 out of a 74 caprice, but the seals or guides are going. It smokes everytime you start it up. I got a deal on the heads, intake, rockers, and gaskets. I figure I could just install them, but wouldnt mind a cam swap, but really dont want to start swapping springs, cutting down the guides, drilling out the pushrod holes, etc. Jim
Old Oct 28th, 07, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech Team

I use the XE-256 it clears everything but is awfully mild even in a 350. If you want much more cam you will need to modify the heads.
Old Oct 28th, 07, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

I was over on the nastyz28 site. It looks like I can get a set of springs and retainers pretty reasonably. I may just go that route. Jim
Old Oct 28th, 07, 1:12 AM
Senior Tech Team

hows the crane blueprint 151 grind cam work? .447 lift. thanks. jim
Old Oct 28th, 07, 1:22 AM
Tech Team
Neil

Send a message via Yahoo to shooterpcb

The best cam I have used with Vortecs for a weekend cruiser that makes great power is the Summit SUMK1105 dual pattern cam kit for a manual trans. The 062s have a better exhaust port flow than most other Chevy stock iron heads. Take advantage of this with a dual pattern cam to release all the expended gases on exhaust stroke. I used both 041s and Vortecs before. Both did good with SUMK1105 kits on +.030 400 sbc, flat top cast pistons, headers, 750cfm Holley vs and Performer RPM intake.

I am now exploring and learning the world of Big Blocks. So far I have learned everything costs more!
Old Oct 28th, 07, 10:28 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Jim,
I've run the stock Vortec springs with cams up to .480 lift. The problem is not with the springs...these were originally used with a factory roller cam...it's the clearence between the bottom of the retainer and the top of the valve guide boss. Due to cast variences, not all Vortec heads have this much clearence. You will have to verify this.
Some guys will grind a little off the bottom of the retainer. I'm not a big fan of this. I'd hate to see the locks pull thru a retainer when a better solution (replacement springs) is available reasonably priced.
BTW, the GM 350 HO crate motors equipped with Vortecs run a .460" lift with stock springs.
I think the Voodoo 60101 would work perfect. I've used this cam before with Vortecs.
If you do decide to change springs...I've got a BN set of LT4 springs with retainers I'll send 'ya cheap.

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
Old Oct 28th, 07, 11:57 AM
Team Member
Bob

Here's a link to an earlier article about the vortec heads. Should help answer some of your questions.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...=lt4+retainers
Old Oct 28th, 07, 8:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Wildbill. are those springs and retainers the ones I need to run a little bigger lift? the ones in all the threads? If so can you either email or PM me on a price. I know we're not suppose to be selling in the regular threads. so I figure a pm will work. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: cam for stock vortec heads
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.