Morel Lifters - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Oct 21st, 07, 3:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Default Morel Lifters

With the kind assistance of Mike Kewis and Chris Straub, I installed some Morel hydraulic roller lifters to replace the comps with the intention of increasing my seat pressure to address the valve float problem I was having.

Comparing the the Morels vs. Comps, they both appear well made and I never had any apparent problems with the Comp lifters. They still look brand knew and the internals and rollers are still nice and tight.

Using the Morel HR lifters and the "enhanced" version of the Pacaloy Beehives from Lunati, I was able to increase my seat pressure from 140-145# to 175-180# on the intakes, while still being able to keep my open pressure to about the same ~370#. The exhausts I set at a lower seat pressure... at about 150#.

I also removed the rev kit this time. It never seemed to help anything and I was always suspicious of it. Even talked to one guy who claimed it even caused valve float on his engine... cured when he removed it. Must have been a harmonics thing.

The Morel lifters are slightly taller and the piston in the lifter body sits slightly higher so I had to get shorter push rods. Since I spent all that money just to avoid very occasional valve float (but not very nice when it happens even once on a blower motor!), I couldn't resist and changed my lower pulley to add another pound of boost. Hard to beleive I am running a full 15lbs of roots boost and 36 degrees total timing on pump gas, but I am with no problems. I did creep up on this level of boost from 10-11 pounds, originally. I have 7.6:1 static compression and a wide band AFR meter to help keep things in check, though.

I haven't had her past 6,000rpm at full boost yet, but I can make a few comments. There are a few things I don`t quite understand, but she is running good..

1. Compared to the Comps, the Morel lifters sure are noisey little buggers on start up. The Comps never, ever made a sound. The Morel's sound like the pre-load is out of adjustment until the engine warms up. The first few seconds at start up, the ticking is loud enough that I would pull the suckers if they stayed like that, but it is only for a few seconds and they steadily get quieter as the engine warms up and by the time the engine reaches operating temp (160 degrees +), I really can't hear anything. If you were to hold a Morel roller lifter in one hand and a Comp in the other and shake them like moracas, the Morel lifter bar rattles a bit more than the Comps, but I don't think that is the cause. Holding the two, you will also notice the Morel lifters are a bit heavier, too. I understand that the Morel Lifter bodies are machined steel, while the Comps are a casting. I guess that is what causes the noise until the Morel's warm up. I heard the LS1 guys say the same about the Morels making noise at start up.

2. The exhaust note sounds different just cruising around, and I can't think of a good reason why, but definitely different. Maybe something happened inside my flowmasters or something, but she is different. Odd.

3. I did seem to pick up some power and response even at low RPM.. more than could be expected from going from 14 to 15 pounds, I think. However, at this level of torque, it makes the car a little hard to cruise stop lights. I need to tickle the throttle below the 2000 rpm start of my power band. Once I get to 2000rpm and above, she is a light switch in applying the throttle. I guess that is from spinning the blower a little faster, but seems to be more than the last time I added a pound of boost. I need to let out the clutch easily and shift into 2nd at 1500 rpm, or otherwise it is a snap of the neck and some rubber on the street. Too much power and a stick shift starts to get old fast on the street. Not sure how the 800+ft lbs of torque BBC guys do it on the street with their TKO600's

The true test will be when I get her back to the track. I have never floated the valves (that I know of) at the track, but they say it starts happening well before you hear it, so maybe I will pick up a bunch of power on top. Who knows. Need to get back to the track before it closes for the winter.
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crankshaft, Lunati Pro-Mod rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1 compression, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050, .523/.542 lift, 112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs, Tremec TKO-500, Lemons headers, Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles & 3.42 gears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 21st, 07, 8:04 AM
Team Member
Joe

Default Re: Morel Lifters

My guess on the noise at startup would be that the Morels are designed more like the Comp Magnum series. You made several chnages at once, so it is very hard to make fair comparisons. If you only changed the lifters, this would have been a fair comparison. But, you chnaged to Beehives and stepped up the seat pressure plus stepped up the boost. If your net gain was a solid 500 RPM or so, I would say it was well worth the money and work. But if you are at the same RPM (6000??), then is seems to me you didn't accomplish anything.

Just for comparison, I run the Comp 854's in a big block. Had terrible valve float. Swapped out my 130seat/325 rate springs and steel retainers to a Crower 434 rate spring set at 150 seat and installed with Ti retainers. Only other change was a change of oil from 15W-40 dino to 20W-50 syn. Keep in mind, these readings are with a factory tach that is most likely inaccurate, but with no other changes, I went from audible valve float at 5500-5600 to spinning to 6200-6300 - all readings on the same tach.

Regarding small blocks, we used to run the '94 350 LT1 motor to 6000 all the time. Motor had 45K on it when the car was sold, never been apart, just oil changes. This motor was ran to 6000+ quite a bit. Car had two previous owners that I know liked to drive fast. Even the LS series in my Avalanche will see 6000 (in first gear anyway - truck has 4.10's out back).

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...2/limit/recent
Old Oct 21st, 07, 9:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Not sure I quite follow you GRN69CHV.. I did not say that she wont rev past 6000rpm with the new set up, I only said I haven't taken her past 6000rpm yet. I want shift around 6250rpm and I have expectations that this new set up will take me to 6500rpm, if I needed it, since my old set up was good for 6200rpm. I also have titanium retainers, set the lifter pre-load with 1/4 turn and run 20-50 oil. I have the rev limiter set at 6400rpm. I doubt that the push rods, new springs, or an additional pound of boost is causing ticking at start up. It is quite clearly the lifters, and I have heard this about these lifters before. I do not have the limited travel lifters like the Comp Magnums. Anyway, I am expecting things will go well with the new set up, and was making a few observations to date. I was curious if anyone else had the same ticking at start up. Not really a big deal, but noticable compared to the Comps.
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crankshaft, Lunati Pro-Mod rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1 compression, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050, .523/.542 lift, 112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs, Tremec TKO-500, Lemons headers, Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles & 3.42 gears
Old Oct 21st, 07, 10:38 AM
Team Member
Joe

Sorry, not meaning to be adversarial. It would have been nice to see the results of only a lifter change on performance. Good luck, keep us posted.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...2/limit/recent
Old Oct 21st, 07, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Oh, I know you meant to help GRN69CHV, sorry is my email may have come off differently, I just wanted to clarify, I am not having any problems except the noise of the cold lifters.

Drove around today.. made a few stops where the car had a chance to completly cool off. A crowd often gathers waiting for me to start it so they can hear the blower, and it's a little embarassing when I light off the engine and it sounds like a 250,000 mile v8 which never had the lifters adjusted. As soon as she is up to operating temps, she is completely silent. Hmmm.

mike
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 2:25 AM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

For what those things cost I'd be on the phone to them sooner, not later. I don't recall anybody else having this noise, but not that many guys have them either.
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 2:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

I don't think there is anything wrong with the lifters, and I think it may come with the design. I would like to hear if anyone else here has noticed this, but not sure how many guys are running them. Doing an internet search, I did find 4 guys with the same thing with the Morels, one guy who put back in his comps because of it. A bunch of Corvette ZR-1 guys also seem to have this issue. They are completely quiet when they warm up, though.
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 8:56 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Quite lifters give you the signal to GIT IT ON!!!
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 9:02 AM
Tech Team

I just started using them but so far I do not have this problem.
Chevelle July 2008
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 9:18 AM
Tech Team

I have them on my 410 and they tick when cold. Goes away when warm, too.
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 10:10 AM

The tolerance fit on the Morels is very tight and tolerance is held to +/-.0003". So with initial start up they will be a little noisy but quite down. Also there is a period of seating the check valve in the plunger assembly. In some applications this can take 200 to 600 miles of driving. After this the lifter, in some accounts, quieter then stock.
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Thanks guys. I am using a 1/4 turn pre-load for max rpm like I used with my Comps and was wondering maybe these Morels might like 1/2 turn preload better.
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 11:00 AM

.030 to .040" pre-load is what they like best.
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 12:59 PM
Tech Team
Rich

I bought my Morels from Mike also and also used Chris' help. I installed them with a new Voodoo HR and Brodix RRs. I lashed them a half turn and they were noisy. Upon closer investigation by Mike and Chris, I learned the following: Lash grows by about .005 - .006 on my aluminum heads; my combo needs a minimum of .030 on HP applications, .040 - .060 on street and marine applications. One turn with 7/16-20 studs = .050. Soooo, I went with one full turn and lash should be about .045 when hot. Engine is quiet and runs very well with one full turn. Haven't tried running past 6000 rpm yet. If I was using this setup for just drags, I would use 3/4 turn to get about .0325.
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 1:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Thanks for the input ElkyBB. Maybe I need another half turn of pre-load,as you suggest. I thought I would let the, break in as Chris suggested, first, and see what happens. How long have you had yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Morel Lifters
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.