'69 TH-350 speedometer cable length - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Oct 6th, 07, 5:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ray

Default '69 TH-350 speedometer cable length

Hello guys,

I want to put a speedometer cable on my '69 Chevelle Malibu and went to Autozone to get one but they want way more info than I can give them. The car is auto of course, th350, column shift, no cruise control, has the push-in at the gauge and screw-in at the trans and that should be more than enough info but NNNOOOO!!! They want to know how long it is. I don't have one to measure.

My choices are:

120"
80"
63"
61"
41"

Anyone know which of these is right?

Thanks Ray
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 07, 2:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ray

Default Re: '69 TH-350 speedometer cable length

Does anyone know where I could find this info. I've searched here and googled. I guess if worst comes, I could take a piece of string and get a close measurement.
Old Oct 7th, 07, 9:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not much help here but if I were you I would go to a local speedometer shop and get a good one.

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 20th, 13, 11:31 AM
Wes

This is a very late response to this post, but maybe someone will find it useful. Seems there is nothing definitive out there.

My '69 Malibu has a 350 / TH400. The speedometer needle would fluctuate 5 mph, and I found the speedometer cable was laying on the exhaust and the casing had burned through. The old cable measured ~58" and was routed from the transmission, over the exhaust, on top of the driver side frame rail, back toward the middle and up through the firewall. The 3rd party stores had various lengths, but nothing close to 58". I tried the GM dealer. Nothing. Autozone had a 47" that I thought would allow me to keep the cable away from the exhaust, but it was about 3" too short. The 61" (CA-3005)worked fine. I routed it a little shorter under the car, added a loop bracket to the frame (existing hole) and took up the slack with routing behind the dash. My understanding is the manual missions have the cable out the passenger side and need the longer cable as a result. Maybe the 120". Installation is easy. Speedometer needle no longer fluctuates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: '69 TH-350 speedometer cable length
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.