How to make 500 hp from a 383? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jan 14th, 05, 1:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

I was wondering if it is possible to make 500 hp from a naturally aspirated 383 stroker? How streetable would it be? And what parts/rpms would you recommend? And how will torque be?

This will be bolted to a TH350/4.10 rear. Stall will be what it needs to be to match the cam. Also I want to keep this a pump gas friendly car...93 octane is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 14th, 05, 7:18 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

Send a message via AIM to MY FYN 79
According to this, its no big deal.

http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos15.html

Take it for what its worth.
Billet Jimmybuilt 2004-R
3.90 Ford 9"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 14th, 05, 8:49 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

JD,
WHen the GM Aluminum Fast Burn heads were first introduced a few years ago, the description in the GMPP catalog stated that they put a set on a 9.5 to 1 383 with a .540" lift hydraulic roller and made just about 500 hp and a bunch of torque on pump gas. I am thinking of trying to duplicate that exact engine for the Heavy Chevy, but with Holley's multi port fuel injection. I might be a little off on the cam lift, they don,t show it any more in the newer GMPP catalog and I have trashed the old ones.

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Old Jan 14th, 05, 3:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I made 545 @ 6,300rpm with mine...on 87 octane. This meant a solid roller (Comp XR286 - 286/292, 576/582), AFR 210 CNC heads, and Calico coatings on all ports and chambers. Edelbrock RPM Air Gap and Demon 825. 9.75:1 CR. Also Lunati 6-inch rods and pistons (matched 383 kit).

Also made 499.8 ft-lbs. at 4,900 rpm.
Yes, it's more than possible. Get good parts!

SP~!

Winner- 2011 Car Craft "Real Street Eliminator" competition
Old Jan 14th, 05, 3:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Wow, I'm very amazed to see those numbers on 87 octane!

So lets see....I'd need some AFR 210 heads...what size valves and what cc's did you use? How much $$ for the heads? Did you go assembled or bare castings built-to-your-specs?

Intake I would use an Eddy rpm or air gap...

Solid roller XE286 eh? What about a XE284? And I think it's a hydrulic cam.

I was considering using the World 383 stroker kit that runs for like $1800 or possibly the Eagle stroker kit that runs like $1000.

Calico coatings?? Never heard of that.

Would a 750 cfm v.s. street/strip Holley work? I have one of those sitting around needing a home.

What stall do you use with that cam? What rear gears/trans did you run?

I was thinking a 10.0-10.5:1 c.r.
Old Jan 14th, 05, 3:35 PM
Tech Team
jackson

I built one 500 horse, 490 torque , check out my site www.cardomain.com/ID/seanselky
Old Jan 14th, 05, 4:27 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to 383Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 383Vette
i'm pumping almost 500 hp at 6400rpm, and it helps to have AFR 195s and a victor jr..i can give you more details of my combo if you like....my 383 is very streetable and runs on pump gas with no pinging. 10.1:1CR.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1497705
Old Jan 14th, 05, 5:10 PM
Tech Team

383vette, please, tell us more [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ditto on the AFR195's. I use them myself and they work very well!
Old Jan 14th, 05, 5:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I used the AFR CNC-finished heads as-delivered, but I did change the valve springs to the recomended Comp units. They were not cheap, but I didn't have to do anything to them (except the coating treatment and the valve spring change). I used the RPM Air Gap intake out of the box (untouched- not even port matched).

It's a solid roller XR 286 (PN 12-772-8). I planned to run a solid roller from day 1. I used Comp's composite gear on the MSD dist. and it runs a normal 6AL box. I wanted the Lunati Pro kit because this engine may see spray or a blower in the future (hence the low compression diet of 87 octane now).

If you ahven't heard of Calico Coatings, you're missing out on some almost-free horsepower. Yes - Coatings cost money, but the parts don't have to be modified to be coated. I chose the thermal barrier coating (a kind of porcelain) to insulate the chamber (gotta keep heat in aluminum heads), and to eliminate any sharp edges from the chamber (no hot spots since I'll be fighting detonation on 87). I also coated the ports (the intake to keep the incoming charge cool; the exhaust to keep the outgoing charge hot), and the valves to help both.
A 750 cfm Holley could work, but I got the Demon so I could play with the venturi sizing. It's crispy and responsive at 825 cfm (green sleeves).

The car ('67 Malibu Wagon) is getting a Rockland T-56 (good to 600 ft-lbs), so stall will not be an issue.

I feel 10-10.5:1 would be fine with 91 or higher, but I really wanted to see how much I could get on 87. These numbers were generated at Westech with 1.75-inch dyno headers and 3-inch in/out Magnaflows. No air filter was used, but I do run one on the street.

I temporarily installed the engine in the car with the stock (original '67) Powerglide/converter. It does run, drive, etc. but is less than optimal. Knowing the 6-speed was in the cards made it okay. That greasy 'Glide does not appreciate the newfound torque...

I'll be building on this car on the pages of Street Thunder magazine. If any of you folks got a mailed invitation to join the National Street Car Association car club, Street Thunder is the club magazine. I'm the Editor.

The car will be getting a 9-inch to complement the rest of the drivetrain and already has Hotchkis susp. and big brakes. It will be tested everywhere (dragstrip, road course, skid pad, etc.) and results will be published on the performance of the 87-octane 383 in this car. I intend to fine-tune the combo to it's full potential.

Scott Parkhurst~!

Winner- 2011 Car Craft "Real Street Eliminator" competition
Old Jan 14th, 05, 5:14 PM
Tech Team

383 vette i would like to hear more on your combo
Old Jan 15th, 05, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Sean

Hey Dawg, that's what i am building right now too. so far i have a forged 4340 internal balance crank, forged steel h-beam rods, ross pistons, AFR 195'S (still waiting on them, afr said up to 8 weeks for delivery) I upgraded to 7/16" studs and upgraded springs for the xr288 cam i am gonna run. guy doing the machine work for me told me to expect 500hp easy on pump gas. no stall since i already have my tk0600 sitting in my garage. gonna see how long my 10 bolt lives behind it. but it will be replaced once i recover from the cost of this engine.
http://spotted.stripes.com/galleries....php?id=337573
"Aint no fun 'till somethin gets broke!"
Old Jan 15th, 05, 2:59 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Chevelle Donzelle
500 hp is do-able. However, I would check several Hi performance engine builders on the net. They come with warrenties and may be cheaper already assembled and matched than you building your own.

Of course if building one yourself is the thrill then scratch my comments.
Old Jan 15th, 05, 3:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Yeah right now it's a big toss up on either replacing the current 350 with a built big block or tearing down this 350 and building one mean bad mutha out of it.

I need something to send the LS1 boys back home to mama.
Old Jan 16th, 05, 1:58 AM

build a 396 stroker.
Old Jan 16th, 05, 2:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Wheredya get the parts to do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: How to make 500 hp from a 383?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.