Isky cam's interesting comments about split duration cams - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Sep 7th, 07, 5:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Default Isky cam's interesting comments about split duration cams

Isky says longer exhaust duration cams simply kill low-mid range torque and no more...and that single pattern cams alway make more power...

"...Why is it that so many people (racers & cam grinders alike) insist on running a cam with longer exhaust duration regardless of what equipment is employed? The answer is "habit". Most of them have been somewhat successful in doing it their way and will probably never change unless virtually forced by circumstances to do so.

Before we go any further however let's review what it actually is we are trying to do with an engine when we attempt to make more power. Our best result comes when we are cognizant of the fact that an engine is basically an air pump. We pump it in and out (although in a different form) and we have problems when one side or the other is restricted. Balance or the equilibrium or flow should be our objective, unless of course we are not trying to make more horsepower!

Example #1 (Oval track racing) Here, I have often observed that the most experienced drivers are those who are most likely to run a single pattern (equal on intake and exhaust duration) cam. Why? Because such cams always, I repeat always make more torque! These veterans have a more educated foot and greater experience in feathering the throttle in the corners. They can therefore, utilize the benefit of added torque, in the lower to mid RPM range, to their advantage.

Their counterparts, the younger drivers on the circuit, generally are not as experienced and may at times actually get "crossed up" in the corners especially with a lighter car or when they are learning the ropes. In their case, a longer exhaust duration is often the more appropriate choice. It will often help them to drive better, more "flat footed" if you will, without consequence. But please for the sake of accuracy, let us be truthful. The benefit comes from an actual bleeding off of low to mid range torque, which is always what happens when Exh. Duration is lengthened, not from any improvement. The improvement, (if any) would come because of an improvement in scavenging at the extreme upper end of the power curve and would usually be marginal at best. Yet the so-called "extra power" potential of a longer Exh. Duration cam is most often why they are touted - power most people are backing away from at the end of the strait away!

Example #2 (Drag Racing) At the drag strip it's a little different and I feel more honest. Here, racers have long enjoyed longer exhaust and longer durations across the board (If I may add specifically for the purpose of "killing" low-end torque) to keep the tires from too easily breaking lose. This has been successful and sometimes actually results in a slight increase in top end power - something you can actually use in drag racing since it is a full throttle endeavor through the lights. Keep in mind here though, it's quite possible that a longer duration cam overall would have done just as well or better. In other words if you needed that longer exhaust for top end, perhaps the intake could have benefited from such a lengthening as well. ..."
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crankshaft, Lunati Pro-Mod rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1 compression, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050, .523/.542 lift, 112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs, Tremec TKO-500, Lemons headers, Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles & 3.42 gears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 7th, 07, 5:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Default Re: Isky cam's interesting comments about split duration cams

we'll see what UDHarold or dacaman has to say about this!

to me, this sounds very old school....maybe they need to get into the 21st century

I'm stickin with my Lunati voodoo 268
Holley 750 HPs dp(82751) on Weiand Stealth & MSD Pro billet HEI
Hedman Elite headers/Flowmaster exh. (w/super 40s)
TC#3095
Garage find parked from 1978-2004

http://macswebs.com/ls5registry/bal/bal.htm
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...0&ppuser=25834
http://ssregistry.macswebs.com/1972/1d37w2b_reis.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZkVw6xMkM
Old Sep 7th, 07, 10:30 AM
Gold Member
Bill

My understanding one of the reasons that split duration cams were developed to make up for cylinder head flow differences between intake/exhaust ports .....so not sure a blanket statement can be made on which type makes most power cylinder head design needs to considered in the combination ???

Crusin / Track video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhvDGOO4JAI

Engine
Old Sep 7th, 07, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech Team

the bigger exhaust duration allows the engine to hang on at the upper revs.
Old Sep 7th, 07, 1:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

No cam expert here, but my voodoo 262 in my 327 has alot more torque and top end power with the 1.6's over the 1.5's. I guess it's a matter of the combination of parts.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1010428.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1010429.jpg
Old Sep 7th, 07, 4:08 PM
Team Member
Joe

To a point, I tend to agree with both views. Although, I have become a fan of similiar duration cams [my current cam is 233/236 @ .050 hyd roller on 112LSA]. It does have a lot of midrange power, yet still revs to 6300+.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...2/limit/recent
Old Sep 7th, 07, 4:49 PM

Duration split is dependent on I/E ratio. If the duration split is calculated to take advantage of what this percentage is then a a very broad powerband can be achieved.
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Sep 7th, 07, 4:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ken

Like GRN69CHV, I feel strongly both ways. You have to get it out before you can get it in. Street cars with typically restrictive exhaust systems should benefit from a little more time to get the exhaust out. That said, if the head flow has the proper bias between intake and exhaust, there should be no reason for unnecessary blowdown.

In my opinion, the most important part of any cam design, with any timing, is to clean the exhaust gas out of the combustion chamber. Left over exhaust gas is the greatest killer of power at any RPM. When an engine "comes on the pipe", it runs better because residual exhaust gases have been removed from the chamber.

To settle this argument, one only needs to perform standard lash loops on the dyno to determine what a particular head/piston/manifold/carb/compession setup wants. I'm confident that most competent tuners are this sharp, and I would think it would be mentioned in the Isky article. Maybe the Isky article should have been about lash loops and teaching how to determine what cam YOU NEED for YOUR engine and the way YOU drive.
10:1, TH400, 3.31's, 4400 SS

"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"There is nothing the human mind cannot rationalize"
Kirkwoodken
Old Sep 7th, 07, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Torquer View Post
Our best result comes when we are cognizant of the fact that an engine is basically an air pump. We pump it in and out (although in a different form) and we have problems when one side or the other is restricted. Balance or the equilibrium or flow should be our objective, unless of course we are not trying to make more horsepower!
I'm glad Isky says this so I ask. . .How can you calculate, figure, select the cam for a given engine without taking the flow numbers in account? We are talking about the item that controls the air potential in and air potential out....
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Sep 7th, 07, 5:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Question Re: Isky cam's interesting comments about split duration cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAP View Post
No cam expert here, but my voodoo 262 in my 327 has alot more torque and top end power with the 1.6's over the 1.5's. I guess it's a matter of the combination of parts.
Any E.T.'s on that combo yet? Sounds interesting.
Old Sep 7th, 07, 9:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Of course single pattern cams make more torque. That's why Pro-Stocks use 20* bigger exhaust cams at .050, to kill off ALL the torque in the engine.........
There are all kind of reasons to run single-pattern cams.
There are just as many, or even more, reasons to run dual-pattern cams.
There are even reasons to run reverse-pattern cams.
It all boils down to two things, What the cylinder head flow needs, and what the customer wants the engine to do.
I have made lots of hydraulic cams that are single-pattern. I have made hydraulic cams that are smaller, and bigger, that are dual-pattern cams. Both types worked fine for what they were supposed to do. I even tried to talk Holley into 1 or 2 single-pattern VooDoo cams, but then, Comp didn't make any single-pattern Xtreme Energy cams.
At UltraDyne I had a single-pattern flat tappet finish 2nd in the Winston Amatuer Championship.
There are reasons for everything. The trick is knowing the right reason for any application.
I sold 2 reverse-pattern roller cams to a customer today. About 90% of what he buys, and he buys them 2 to 6 at a time, are reverse-pattern. He also helped me develop the 283/289F6 flat tappet, and he's bought a lot of those.
My most popular flat tappets are 6 to 8 degrees larger on the exhaust than on the intake.
The most popular rollers are mostly 8 degrees larger, some only 4, some 16 to 20.
A cam should always be made for what the customer wants the power band to be like.
All of the above are the correct answers.

UDHarold
Old Sep 7th, 07, 9:12 PM
Tech Team
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAP View Post
I did not hear anyone mention that even running increased rocker arm ratios , is also another way to increase durations. Am I on or off with this theory?
Old Sep 7th, 07, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

IMHO most honest street engines don't turn enough rpm to outpace the exhaust.
Mike
Old Sep 7th, 07, 10:53 PM
Tech Team

How is Rocker Arm Ratio going to increase duration? Lift sure but duration is ground in right? You lost me on that one.

Troy
10.2:1 compression
Lunati/UD 276/284 Solid
Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 850
TH400, 4.10's - BTE 10" 3200 conv.
Mostly show but can go!
Best ET 11.72 MPH 115.1
Old Sep 8th, 07, 6:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
I did not hear anyone mention that even running increased rocker arm ratios , is also another way to increase durations. Am I on or off with this theory?

rocker ratios do nothing for duration...only lift
Holley 750 HPs dp(82751) on Weiand Stealth & MSD Pro billet HEI
Hedman Elite headers/Flowmaster exh. (w/super 40s)
TC#3095
Garage find parked from 1978-2004

http://macswebs.com/ls5registry/bal/bal.htm
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...0&ppuser=25834
http://ssregistry.macswebs.com/1972/1d37w2b_reis.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZkVw6xMkM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Isky cam's interesting comments about split duration cams
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.