Which spark plug wire is best??? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Dec 14th, 03, 3:30 AM
Tech Team

I am finally getting all of the kinks worked out of my 69 396 to get it on the road again after 2 years. My question is, Which spark plug wire is best for a 396 running hooker super comp headers and a MSD distributor??? I would like the MSD wires but not sure about having to crimp the ends on... which boots do I need? 90, 135?, straight? I want to run them over the headers across the bottom of the valve covers to the distributor at the back of the motor. I wanted to use the Chevy big block wire loom but not sure if 8.5 wires would fit in it also?? The Bowtie wires look great on the new 572 but not sure which ones they are either??? Are the Taylor wires very good either???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 14th, 03, 5:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I've had the best results from the trusty old Moroso Blue Max Spiral Core wires even after all the trick 8.5-9-10mm etc. stuff that's hit the market lately. They are the cheapest and come in blue, red, yellow and, my favorite, black. Use the 135* ends and it'll give you alot of versatility to clear headers, etc.

Randy
'65 Biscayne 2-dr post (kind of a BIG Chevelle)
Vega S/G (For Sale with REAL nice 18 degree SB motor parts and a 9.40 350 in it.)
several Olds 442's (funny lookin' Chevelles) (2 sold)
Old Dec 14th, 03, 11:43 AM
Paul

I gotta, I just gotta!!!

Install a set of old fashioned Packard 440 solid wires on her AND everybody in your neighborhood will know you are coming and going!!

He, He!! Just love that radio whine!!!!!

pdq67-
Old Dec 14th, 03, 11:52 AM
Team Member

I'm using Pertronix Flame-Thrower 8mm wires. Got them in black and bought a straight boot kit to replace the 90 deg on the dist side. They work well and have a somewhat stock look...

Camaros Limited
Old Dec 14th, 03, 1:32 PM
Tech Team

Regardless of what you buy, read the info at www.magnecor.com.
Old Dec 14th, 03, 1:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Which wire is best? I think number 1 is best, it never causes problems and just does it's job. Number 4, on the other hand, is rowdy, never shuts up, often talking back, and dresses poorly. More than once I've had to make it stand in the corner. I've even thought of sending it to military school. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old Dec 14th, 03, 1:48 PM
Bob

I have always gone back to the Moroso Spiral Core Wires also. I have them on the 396 Chevelle and my IROC. I have always had trouble with the crimp on ends even after buying the MSD Crimper tool. I like the Moroso Custom fit sets and they are only $60.
Old Dec 14th, 03, 3:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

I gotta weigh in on the MSD SuperConductor 8.5mm set. It's the only thing I've ever done (besides a cam change) that's given me instant satisfaction, without needing a dyno or quarter mile time slip.

Of course, you must keep in mind that I changed from Accel's cheapo wires to the MSD SuperConductors. The key factor is to keep the resistance to a minimum.

Real treasures give you hugs.

The rest is just stuff.
Old Dec 14th, 03, 5:15 PM
Tech Team
Bill

I used the MSD SuperConductor 8.5mm set with the adjustable plug ends. They clear the headers great, don't worry about the crimping of the ends, it's a breeze. check out my engine pic below.

bill

66 Chevelle Convertible
69 390/427 Vette
32 Blown Ford Vicky
75 Goldwing 1st Year
67 Triumph 650 Bonneville

7 year project car, which is about as done as it gets. BSE powered, 4 speed, 3.42 12 bolt posi. Can't smell rust anymore, just rubber burning.
Old Dec 14th, 03, 5:46 PM
Tech Team
Justin

I had a set of Taylor spiro pro 8mm on my 69 SS before I sold it. They were the custom fit ones so you cut them to length. Worked great...fit my Thorley headers just fine. I have a set on the way for my 70 right now.

70 Chevelle SS 454 clone
GMPP 454HO
Tremec 5 speed
3.42 gears, Eaton posi
100 shot N2O

70 Chevelle Malibu (stock)
Numbers match L48, 300HP
Original M20 trans
Original 12 bolt rear
Complete documentation

69 Chevelle SS 396 (sold)

"If it doesn't go, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway!"
Old Dec 15th, 03, 1:25 AM
Senior Tech Team

Rick, I read it. Holy Molley! I got educated. Everyone at TC should read that website.
Old Dec 15th, 03, 1:21 PM
Tech Team

I have a set of the Magnecor 7mm wires. Ran them for a while along with a points dist and a MSD 6AL. Problem I had was some kind electrical interference and poor performance that I do not have with Taylor Spiro-Pro 8MM wires so the Magecors are off. Test was a direct A-B comparison but it was a comparison of 8mm to 7mm so probably invalid. Magnecor did recommend their 7mm wires though. So I call tham back and describe my findings and Magnecors tech response was "our wires are so efficient and they carry so much more energy, bla bla...." or some BS like that.

I do agree with Magnecor that suppression type wires do wear out even if they look perfect.
Old Dec 15th, 03, 4:05 PM
Tech Team

I've always used the Mallory Stainless Steel Solid Core. Have had great luck with them, they last forever but they do throw out a bit of interference.
Old Dec 15th, 03, 4:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via ICQ to godsend
I use Accel 8mm superstock wires. You can use a set and throw it aeay when you burned them ,)

My problem is melting caps instead. to much ignition power i think with a 7AL2 and a Propower II.

The wires works ok. I tries really trick 409 taylors, no difference.
Old Dec 15th, 03, 5:45 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked
I've run accel's, those stunk. MSD's are nice but they dont take heat too well, they burn threw real easy. Borg-Warner makes some great wires. They WILL NOT burn threw [they've laid on my exaust manifolds for hundreds of miles, not even a burn mark on them] and perform nicely. Best part is every checker auto parts carry's em [img]smile.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Which spark plug wire is best???
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.